By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

GhaudePhaede010 said:
oniyide said:

this isnt a true statement, there are games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 that no portable could run. I dont think NX will be different

You are both correct, actually. Games like Resident Evil: Revelations and Monster Hunter need only graphical updates and no changes to the game play, mechanics, or design to be acceptable on home consoles. They are full console experiences on a hand held. Not to mention there are several PSVita games that rival their console counterparts specifically in terms of game play, mechanics, and design. Graphically, a PSVita or 3DS title would be unacceptable on a home console, but the game itself is a complete experience.

On the other hand, there are some games like Witcher 3 or the newest Final Fantasy title or Fallour 4 that are obviously too limited by hardware technology of current day hand helds. This means you are both correct.

no he isnt. the keyword he used is ANY. We arent there yet, hell i dont think we might ever get there, but we are close than we ever have been before.

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:

It takes more than a handheld  console to make a console a hybrid. So no, obviously not. This is their new take. (if the EG rumors are true ofc)

Dr.Vita said:
I hope so... Nintendo just isn't good enough to make hardware which is worth to buy.

I assume you mean in the vein just like Sony just cant make a proper handheld right?

Stop being silly.

how is it silly? the Vita system sold poorly, people think Sony shouldnt try again. Wii U sold worse so why cant he say that they shouldnt try again?

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

this isnt a true statement, there are games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 that no portable could run. I dont think NX will be different

Note that i used the word: GAMEPLAY.

In terms of gameplay there is nothing about the Witcher or Fallout that couldnt work on a handheld form factor.

Besides, i was talking about Nintendo's games. There is really no game style that cant work on a handheld. 

fair enough, that has been the case for a while, but for alot of people it will always be seen as a inferior version. They could make a Fallout spinoff but it wouldnt be THE Fallout.

Ninty hasnt really pushed the power thing for some time but yea there games are about the same now.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Note that i used the word: GAMEPLAY.

In terms of gameplay there is nothing about the Witcher or Fallout that couldnt work on a handheld form factor.

Besides, i was talking about Nintendo's games. There is really no game style that cant work on a handheld. 

fair enough, that has been the case for a while, but for alot of people it will always be seen as a inferior version. They could make a Fallout spinoff but it wouldnt be THE Fallout.

Ninty hasnt really pushed the power thing for some time but yea there games are about the same now.

I think they need to have two power modes or this thing isn't credibly a hybrid it's simply just a portable. 

It should be able to run 400-500 GFLOPS in portable (battery power) mode and 800GF-1TFLOP in home mode with active cooling. 

For portable play IMO people will be willing to settle for a low resolution (960x540) and even a reduction in asset quality, it's not such a big deal, but when its playing a home it should be able to run games on par with an XB1. 

Then it becomes a situation where some people will not care about a small difference in pixel quality because the NX version has greater utility (being able to be played anywhere, anytime). 

For it to be a true hybrid device it must have two power modes though IMO. Otherwise it's just a portable with a TV output mode, that's really not a hybrid console in my opinion. If you put a video out on a Vita that doesn't make it a console. It also would be dissapointing from an engineering POV, a true hybrid console that can operate in different power states depending on whether it's being used a portable device or a home device has a lot of potential, Nintendo is lazy if they'd don't exploit that. 

oniyide said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

You are both correct, actually. Games like Resident Evil: Revelations and Monster Hunter need only graphical updates and no changes to the game play, mechanics, or design to be acceptable on home consoles. They are full console experiences on a hand held. Not to mention there are several PSVita games that rival their console counterparts specifically in terms of game play, mechanics, and design. Graphically, a PSVita or 3DS title would be unacceptable on a home console, but the game itself is a complete experience.

On the other hand, there are some games like Witcher 3 or the newest Final Fantasy title or Fallour 4 that are obviously too limited by hardware technology of current day hand helds. This means you are both correct.

no he isnt. the keyword he used is ANY. We arent there yet, hell i dont think we might ever get there, but we are close than we ever have been before.

The key phrase he used was, "BASICALLY ANY."

He was correct and all I did was back him. And you were also correct and I backed you. Not every game can go both ways but at this point, basically any game can. There are a few exceptions.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Mbolibombo said:

It takes more than a handheld  console to make a console a hybrid. So no, obviously not. This is their new take. (if the EG rumors are true ofc)

I assume you mean in the vein just like Sony just cant make a proper handheld right?

Stop being silly.

how is it silly? the Vita system sold poorly, people think Sony shouldnt try again. Wii U sold worse so why cant he say that they shouldnt try again?

Because it's a silly statement. Both Sony and Nintendo respectively are "good enough" to make respective hardware as shown by previous success, the systems just didnt sell for whatever reason. 

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

I think they need to have two power modes or this thing isn't credibly a hybrid it's simply just a portable. 

It should be able to run 400-500 GFLOPS in portable (battery power) mode and 800GF-1TFLOP in home mode with active cooling. 

For portable play IMO people will be willing to settle for a low resolution (960x540) and even a reduction in asset quality, it's not such a big deal, but when its playing a home it should be able to run games on par with an XB1. 

Then it becomes a situation where some people will not care about a small difference in pixel quality because the NX version has greater utility (being able to be played anywhere, anytime). 

For it to be a true hybrid device it must have two power modes though IMO. Otherwise it's just a portable with a TV output mode, that's really not a hybrid console in my opinion. If you put a video out on a Vita that doesn't make it a console. It also would be dissapointing from an engineering POV, a true hybrid console that can operate in different power states depending on whether it's being used a portable device or a home device has a lot of potential, Nintendo is lazy if they'd don't exploit that. 

Your first sentence tells the whole story. I have been trying to get peopple to understand that the current rumors are saying without saying this is NOT A CREDIBLE HYBRID. It is a hand held that can be connected to the television. There is no rumor that states the shell does anything more than give the hand held a video output to your television. Nothing.

I have been reading and it looks like the term, "hybrid" is being very loosely used. Until there is some sort of further explanation about this shell that the hand held attaches to, what we are talking about is a hand held that has an adapter to the television. Just like my daughter's iphone has a hybrid cable that connects her phone to the television.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

It's a Hybrid, so by definition, no, obviously... I'll be playing games like Pikmin 4 and Zelda BotW entirely on the TV.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

Your first sentence tells the whole story. I have been trying to get peopple to understand that the current rumors are saying without saying this is NOT A CREDIBLE HYBRID. It is a hand held that can be connected to the television. There is no rumor that states the shell does anything more than give the hand held a video output to your television. Nothing.

I have been reading and it looks like the term, "hybrid" is being very loosely used. Until there is some sort of further explanation about this shell that the hand held attaches to, what we are talking about is a hand held that has an adapter to the television. Just like my daughter's iphone has a hybrid cable that connects her phone to the television.

So what's your definition of a home console then since NX apparently doesn't fulfil it? Please don't say graphics/power/etc.

Einsam_Delphin said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

So what's your definition of a home console then since NX apparently doesn't fulfil it? Please don't say graphics/power/etc.

A console who's primary/main design (technical, aesthetic, and functional) is to be played at home. Like Wii U, which nobody calls a hand held or hybrid, because the console's main function and design is to be played in the home.

As it looks (based on these rumors), NX is designed (technically, aesthetically, and functionally) to be a hand held. The NX looks, by all accounts, to be the continuation of the 3DS line.

I tried to explain it like this to the host of my show:

Me: Imagine everything about NX is true. Everything except that it has a shell that connects it to a television. What would you call it?

Him: Well, thats unfair because it does come with a shell that attaches it to a television.

Me: Just answer.

Him: A hand held.

Me: You brought up a good point about it coming with a shell. It is unfair of me to remove a key piece entirely to prove my point so what about this: Nintendo releases the console as I stated and then a year later they release the shell that attaches the console to the television. Is the console now a hybrid?

Him: No. It is a hand held; one that now has an attachment that connects to the television, but it is still a hand held.

Me: Exactly.

That is NX.