By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

Considering they're releasing a portable home console, I'd give this thread a resounding no.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Considering they're releasing a portable home console, I'd give this thread a resounding no.

I guess the question is this really a home console or basically like a portable Wii U with a few additions? 

Soundwave said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I guess the question is this really a home console or basically like a portable Wii U with a few additions? 

Its a device meant to blur the lines between handheld & console and act as both.

Handhelds have come far enough where they can handle basically any home console gameplay experience so there is no longer a need to have them seperated.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's hard to say since we don't know what the NX is yet, but if we are to believe Ninten's words on the device, then they have not given up on consoles.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

yes they are moving towards the future!!! good on them!

Around the Network

Assuming the NX is as has been allegedly leaked by some gaming press as a single screen tablety looking device with detachable controller bits. I certainly view this as a handheld first and foremost and aimed primarily at the handheld gamer market. With some accomodations made for home console gamers.

I don't know if I'd say that's giving up on home consoles, but I think it's a significant step away from home consoles.

I think Nintendo has decided that its long term viability depends on maintaining a strong handheld user base so that's where the focus will be. They want to have a presence in home consoles, but I think it's more like, we have this great handheld device that gives great handheld gaming, and by the way you can play these games through your TV. And here are a few games that fit more into the home console niche.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Assuming the NX is as has been allegedly leaked by some gaming press as a single screen tablety looking device with detachable controller bits. I certainly view this as a handheld first and foremost and aimed primarily at the handheld gamer market. With some accomodations made for home console gamers.

I don't know if I'd say that's giving up on home consoles, but I think it's a significant step away from home consoles.

I think Nintendo has decided that it's long term viability depends on maintaining a strong handheld user base so that's where the focus will be. They want to have a presence in home consoles, but I think it's more like, we have this great handheld device that gives great handheld gaming, and by the way you can play these games through your TV. And here are a few games that fit more into the home console niche.

Yeah I'd say that's a pretty reasonable take. 

I'm going to wait for the NX reveal.

If you look at the history, the gamecube was competitive in performance to other home consoles, the wii performance level meant it missed out on most major third party games and the few there were were weak in performance, the wii u was only really competitive hardware for a very short time before the ps4 and xbone arrived and now they release a powerful tablet that can also be used as a home console. This surely takes Nintendo furthest from having a competitive home console. It may well be later a budget home console that basically has the NX chipset without lcd display becomes available perhaps in a similar format to amazon fire tv etc but this is not a competitive home console for the big hitting games just a system for playing portable games at home.

Is playstation tv a fully fledged home console? If there was no ps4 and the ps3 hardware sales finished would playstation tv and perhaps a vita with hdmi output be seen as Sony still in the home console business? It has full quality versions of some less ambitious games and cutdown versions of more ambitious games. There are also vita/playstation tv exclusives. Some vita games look quite nice played on tv via playstation tv.

If they did, it was a good call. I don't think they would have a chance anymore, aside from some other casual popular gimmick.