By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

Well late ports dont work well on any system though. I dont think games like ZombiU and No More Heroes did great on later consoles.

thats not totally true. RE Revelations did great on PS3 for being late. same thing for PS4 version of Rayman Legends. Its rare but not impossible

Fair enough. Im sure there have been some late ports on a Nintendo system that have done great. Like Minecraft?

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

For Japanese games, I think NX versions could actually outsell PS4 versions in Japan.

FFVII Remake IMO would outsell a home console PS4 version in Japan. Japanese gamers simply love their portability and don't care as much about the highest end graphics.

As long as the game is playable and looks reasonably good.

yeah, that's why I think the NX was a portable all along, the replacement of the 3DS. Probably should be successful in it's own right. Don't count on playing GTA6, Battlefield, or (insert random western AAA game here).

I'm all for a powerful handheld with great games. I wish there was a 'Vita 2' with upgraded hardware, but since I won't get it, I'm happy for Nintendo fans that will get more of what they like.

setsunatenshi said:
Soundwave said:

For Japanese games, I think NX versions could actually outsell PS4 versions in Japan.

FFVII Remake IMO would outsell a home console PS4 version in Japan. Japanese gamers simply love their portability and don't care as much about the highest end graphics.

As long as the game is playable and looks reasonably good.

yeah, that's why I think the NX was a portable all along, the replacement of the 3DS. Probably should be successful in it's own right. Don't count on playing GTA6, Battlefield, or (insert random western AAA game here).

I'm all for a powerful handheld with great games. I wish there was a 'Vita 2' with upgraded hardware, but since I won't get it, I'm happy for Nintendo fans that will get more of what they like.

Probably doesn't hurt that the Tegra X1 is like 15x more powerful than the Vita chip. 

Yes. it doesn't matter what I, or anyone, thinks of nintendo and their games in our own particular experience and opinions. Their identity, as a company, it's irrelevant. What matters is the market, and the market moves in certain ways. Numbers are absolute. Nintendo ignoring this numbers, ignoring the market, is a symptom that they've given up on consoles. Their failure with the WiiU could very well happen again. In the exact same way. For the exact same reasons.

Soundwave said:
setsunatenshi said:

Probably doesn't hurt that the Tegra X1 is like 15x more powerful than the Vita chip. 

Yeah Vita is supposedly around 40 Gflops.

the NX with a Tegra X1, and hooked up to the TV (not on the go) would be like 12-13 times faster.

On the go, I doubt nintendo will have that much power in it.

You dont want a tablet useing 21watts alone on the mobile chip part (to get 500+ Gflops).

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah Vita is supposedly around 40 Gflops.

the NX with a Tegra X1, and hooked up to the TV (not on the go) would be like 12-13 times faster.

On the go, I doubt nintendo will have that much power in it.

You dont want a tablet useing 21watts alone on the mobile chip part (to get 500+ Gflops).

A die shrink to 16nm and using Pascal architecture (but same power aim) could bring that watt usage down considerably though. 

The Google Pixel C runs a Tegra X1 at roughly 80% clock in a portable form factor, shrink that to 16nm and you're probably at 100%. 

Not saying Nintendo will do that, but it wouldn't really surprise me if they did. 

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

thats not totally true. RE Revelations did great on PS3 for being late. same thing for PS4 version of Rayman Legends. Its rare but not impossible

Fair enough. Im sure there have been some late ports on a Nintendo system that have done great. Like Minecraft?

Wii version of RE4 did ok as well. The problem is that these ports dont do well so often. Cant blame 3rd parties for not wanting to jump in. Maybe they can do some remaster BS for NX and that could work.

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

Wii version of RE4 did ok as well. The problem is that these ports dont do well so often. Cant blame 3rd parties for not wanting to jump in. Maybe they can do some remaster BS for NX and that could work.

Most of them will probably just wait and see.

really hard to say considering we have no idea for sure to what extent the NX will be catered for home use. It could be a lottttt more balanced than reports are suggesting (i.e. reports seem to indicate a handheld WITH the option of playing at home), and possibly it will be fun and accessible for both home and traveling

if the specs are quite good and not far behind the current generation and is easily plugged into a TV then I don't see why it wouldn't still be considered a strong home console as well

obviously Nintendo is aiming to hit both birds with one stone in this instance

Don't know, but since any sustainable audience of relevant size seem have given up on Nintendo home consoles, it doesn't really matter all that much.