By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

RolStoppable said:
If the rumors are correct, no. It's a device that can be expected to be used a lot at home while being connected to a TV. If it's going to be heavily used like a home console, then Nintendo obviously hasn't given up on home consoles.

that's the thing, if its a device that IS designed for home use equally to on-the-go use, if its easy to plug in and play with pretty great graphics, then I feel like a lot of the system owners will be using it at home a lot

For me Nintendo clearly hasn't given up on home consoles if they have pushed a hybrid this hard. A lot of thought has been put into it

And like others have said, we haven't even gotten any official announcements, pictures, ANYTHING from a 100% concrete source so I would hold off on the assumptions

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
setsunatenshi said:

i agree... and now i'm saying there will be an even bigger power difference between the current consoles and the NX (again, if the rumors stand to be true). that's exactly why I'm predicting nearly 0 3rd party support on AAA titles.

power is not everything though, I love my Vita and I never expected it to be getting console AAA games. things are what they are, no need to make them more than that

I'd say it already has one 1 AAA console title ... Dragon Quest XI. 

Japanese devs will try I think, Western devs probably not so much. 

its a Nintendo handheld device (at least partially), all of the major third parties WILL develop for it to some extent. Look at the DS or even the 3DS- everyone pretty much develops for it. Obviously a big third party developer can't port a Call of Duty game to the 3DS currently, but if the NX specs are good enough I would not be shocked if you see more big titles like that put on it for the simple fact that they are fully aware of the large amount of casual gamers (a third party developers core market generally) buy Nintendo's handhelds

mountaindewslave said:
Soundwave said:

I'd say it already has one 1 AAA console title ... Dragon Quest XI. 

Japanese devs will try I think, Western devs probably not so much. 

its a Nintendo handheld device (at least partially), all of the major third parties WILL develop for it to some extent. Look at the DS or even the 3DS- everyone pretty much develops for it. Obviously a big third party developer can't port a Call of Duty game to the 3DS currently, but if the NX specs are good enough I would not be shocked if you see more big titles like that put on it for the simple fact that they are fully aware of the large amount of casual gamers (a third party developers core market generally) buy Nintendo's handhelds

Well releasing a game or two on a console is not really supporting it. If that was the case then most major third parties supported the WiiU as well.

mountaindewslave said:
RolStoppable said:
If the rumors are correct, no. It's a device that can be expected to be used a lot at home while being connected to a TV. If it's going to be heavily used like a home console, then Nintendo obviously hasn't given up on home consoles.

that's the thing, if its a device that IS designed for home use equally to on-the-go use, if its easy to plug in and play with pretty great graphics, then I feel like a lot of the system owners will be using it at home a lot

For me Nintendo clearly hasn't given up on home consoles if they have pushed a hybrid this hard. A lot of thought has been put into it

And like others have said, we haven't even gotten any official announcements, pictures, ANYTHING from a 100% concrete source so I would hold off on the assumptions

How can Nintendo have pushed it hard with no official anything? I just thought that was funny.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

NO!

Its really annoying that:
1) people assume portable to be lesser than or inferior to a home console gaming experience. Content > power.
2) people assume that because NX has portable functionality it is the a "portable" console. This is just an ignorant assumption that has no out-of-the-box thinking.

The NX is a gaming console. It has the ability to be played directly on your TV similar to previous "home" consoles as well as played away from the TV similar to previous "portable" consoles. This concept has been pretty obvious as Nintendo's plan for many years now when they combined stores, combined OS experiences, combined NNID, combined hardware departments and began testing out dual launch games such as SSB.

Nintendo is neither abandoning the home or portable markets. It is creating a new platform that satisfies both markets beyond the scope of doing a console limited to one or the other.

(yes there is a lot my own assumption on the final product in this post, but I am always right)

Around the Network

if it is as rumored then yes...

..it feels as if nintendo abandoned the console market to double down on mobile.

Maybe they have, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Home consoles offer no real surprises anymore. And for a company like Nintendo that's always trying to surprise gamers with something new, it's only natural that they would want to branch away from the "traditional home console."

After seeing the new Zelda... Helll F**king no.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

superchunk said:
NO!

Its really annoying that:
1) people assume portable to be lesser than or inferior to a home console gaming experience. Content > power.
2) people assume that because NX has portable functionality it is the a "portable" console. This is just an ignorant assumption that has no out-of-the-box thinking.

The NX is a gaming console. It has the ability to be played directly on your TV similar to previous "home" consoles as well as played away from the TV similar to previous "portable" consoles. This concept has been pretty obvious as Nintendo's plan for many years now when they combined stores, combined OS experiences, combined NNID, combined hardware departments and began testing out dual launch games such as SSB.

Nintendo is neither abandoning the home or portable markets. It is creating a new platform that satisfies both markets beyond the scope of doing a console limited to one or the other.

(yes there is a lot my own assumption on the final product in this post, but I am always right)

shhhh...don't bring logic into this... otherwise they can't bitch and cry about things about Nintendo.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Maybe they have...I sure hope not.