By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

Soundwave said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

A headset attachment isbasically Sony's way of saying, "we are going VR but not leaving traditional gaming behind" and I see NX as Nintendo's way of saying the same thing. You do not have to see it, they have to go in a different direction VR or not if they make a new home console to give people a reason to own both NX and their next home console.

If Nintendo markets it correctly, they can say they are, "fully committed" to VR and maybe win some core gamers. Also, since when does Nintendo care if another company is, "gung ho" on something. If they feel they can make it work and have properly invested in it, they will do it.

I did not expect anyone to believe me or buy into it. I said Wii U would not require a television to be play games and I was slaughtered over that as well. It is my idea for the vision going forward. Nobody else said it in this thread so if I am correct, I can take a big W with me, again.

VR on a Tegra X1 wouldn't work great, it doesn't have the horsepower, VR barely does well on a regular PS4. 

It's just too non-Nintendo of a concept for other reasons too. It alienates the player from others, which is against Nintendo's philosophy of gaming in terms of gathering people together and getting the whole family/friends group playing together. 

Also grown adults still report getting motion sickness from VR, now imagine Mom/Dad come home to find little 45 kg Davey has puked all over the living room carpet because he was playing his Nintendo VR more than he should have. 

I could see the NX having motion/hand sensors though ... Nintendo has already patented that. 

In a way I think NX is Nintendo's answer to "anti-social" gaming that VR and even regular phones/tablets present (people staring down at their phone zoned out of their surroundings). NX will be something I think designed to get people to gather around and play together, more like a board game philosophy. 

We are on two different pages. I think if the rumors on NX are true, then Nintendo's next HOME CONSOLE will be a VR console. I do not think NX will be a VR console. This means I do not think Nntendo has given up on the home console market.

Your second point is valid and I am certain Nintendo will take that into consideration but with NX on the market, that may not be a serious issue. The gather and play mentality is taken care of with that console while the, "high-tech" radical idea is taken care of with a VR console.

Grown adults also reported getting dizzy/naseaus when playing 3DS and that did not stop them from releasing it. I believe Nintendo will find as many solutions as possible.

I agree with your last two points.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
setsunatenshi said:

why not on a PS2? why not on an SNES? why not on an Atari 2600? Why not on a Texas Instruments calculator?

because being underpowered is only 1 of the reasons, the main reason is different architectures would require the developers to dedicate a specific team to code the game in specific for this exotic architecture that no one uses.

it's all about cost/benefit.

also, it's not 'downgraded' to ps4/xb1, the games are made specifically for those platforms, and then, given what we know, taking advantage of the better performing machines, those should get stuff like higher res textures, better AA, better shadowing, better frame rates possibly.

just thing of these machines as you would of a gaming pc. just because you can have different components inside, because the main architecture is the same, the games don't need a special port for each of the configurations each person may have. it's a very simplistic way of putting it, but should get the basic idea behind "why not put it on the NX?"

Well you seem to already think the NX is a failure. If it sells well, then why not put their games on the NX? Cant be that hard or expensive.

i didn't not say that at all. it might be quite successful on it's own right. judging from the rumors only, in terms of power, yes it's going to be a massive fail. would you consider the wii a failure? i'm sure Nintendo didn't think that. Power wise... yeah it was absolutely terrible for it's time

setsunatenshi said:
KLXVER said:

Well you seem to already think the NX is a failure. If it sells well, then why not put their games on the NX? Cant be that hard or expensive.

i didn't not say that at all. it might be quite successful on it's own right. judging from the rumors only, in terms of power, yes it's going to be a massive fail. would you consider the wii a failure? i'm sure Nintendo didn't think that. Power wise... yeah it was absolutely terrible for it's time

There was a really big difference between the power of the Wii and the PS3 and 360 though. They had to make a new version of the game for the Wii.

KLXVER said:
setsunatenshi said:

There was a really big difference between the power of the Wii and the PS3 and 360 though. They had to make a new version of the game for the Wii.

i agree... and now i'm saying there will be an even bigger power difference between the current consoles and the NX (again, if the rumors stand to be true). that's exactly why I'm predicting nearly 0 3rd party support on AAA titles.

power is not everything though, I love my Vita and I never expected it to be getting console AAA games. things are what they are, no need to make them more than that

Soundwave said:
JRPGfan said:
1) it wont get multiplat AAA games.
2) it wont matter, because like the Wii U that isnt the point of the system
3) Nintendo first party games will look great (they always do)

"Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?"
They gave up on getting 3rd party.
They gave up on trying to compete in terms of graphics.

I could see some multi-plats like maybe Batman (though a late port) and Dragon Quest XI and maybe even Final Fantasy VII Remake. 

I think Japanese devs will be more willing to do the work of downscaling for a NX version because the upside is much larger for Japanese devs since NX is likely going to be the market leader in Japan. So there's obvious incentive to want your biggest games available to the biggest game audience. 

Western devs though ... yeah. Nintendo's probably in tough there. I could see maybe Activision trying with COD for a year to see how it goes. 

Late ports dont work well on nintendo systems.

And nitnendo users generally dont support them, because... why should they? its a late port, and runs at less graphics settings than if they got it on another system.

Also Batman is a pretty demanding game, with half the power that could become a issue.

Same is true for FFVIIR, it looks pretty graphically intense.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
KLXVER said:

i agree... and now i'm saying there will be an even bigger power difference between the current consoles and the NX (again, if the rumors stand to be true). that's exactly why I'm predicting nearly 0 3rd party support on AAA titles.

power is not everything though, I love my Vita and I never expected it to be getting console AAA games. things are what they are, no need to make them more than that

I'd say it already has one 1 AAA console title ... Dragon Quest XI. 

Japanese devs will try I think, Western devs probably not so much. 

JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

I could see some multi-plats like maybe Batman (though a late port) and Dragon Quest XI and maybe even Final Fantasy VII Remake. 

I think Japanese devs will be more willing to do the work of downscaling for a NX version because the upside is much larger for Japanese devs since NX is likely going to be the market leader in Japan. So there's obvious incentive to want your biggest games available to the biggest game audience. 

Western devs though ... yeah. Nintendo's probably in tough there. I could see maybe Activision trying with COD for a year to see how it goes. 

And nitnendo users generally dont support them, because... why should they? its a late port, and runs at less graphics settings than if they got it on another system.

Also Batman is a pretty demanding game, with half the power that could become a issue.

Well late ports dont work well on any system though. I dont think games like ZombiU and No More Heroes did great on later consoles.

Soundwave said:
setsunatenshi said:

I'd say it already has one 1 AAA console title ... Dragon Quest XI. 

Japanese devs will try I think, Western devs probably not so much. 

Sure, I think it will get much better support from JP developers than western ones, I'll give you that one. The handheld market is much more important in Japan than the console one, so it makes financial sense. And DQ is much bigger in Japan than in the west. Final Fantasy on the other hand...

For Japanese games, I think NX versions could actually outsell PS4 versions in Japan.

FFVII Remake IMO would outsell a home console PS4 version in Japan. Japanese gamers simply love their portability and don't care as much about the highest end graphics.

As long as the game is playable and looks reasonably good.

KLXVER said:
JRPGfan said:

Well late ports dont work well on any system though. I dont think games like ZombiU and No More Heroes did great on later consoles.

thats not totally true. RE Revelations did great on PS3 for being late. same thing for PS4 version of Rayman Legends. Its rare but not impossible