By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

FloatingWaffles said:
KLXVER said:

Well you did seem to take it a bit too seriously. Even saying what a joke Nintendo is when its not even confirmed yet.

To be honest yeah, I could see how it would look like i'm taking it seriously. Also I didn't say that Nintendo was a joke, I said that releasing a console years after the PS4 has launched that has much less power is a joke if these rumors end up being true.

But true, these are just rumors and nothing is confirmed yet I know that. It just annoys me thinking about if it is possibly true that they're using a Tegra X1 because it then shows me that they have learned nothing from the Wii U and are making the same mistake of releasing severely outdated hardware yet again, especially when the Scorpio and Neo are on the rise. 

Fair enough. I just dont think Nintendo is interested enough in games like GTA, COD, BF, AC etc... I think they want exclusive third party support. Nintendo seem to think big publishers are somehow willing to if they give them a new way to make games...

Around the Network

I need to see more to decide. I'm not a mobile gamer at all, so NX needs to be fun to play in my home, on a TV. 500 flops sounds pretty weak, but if the system is cheap and has great games I'll be interested. If it runs closer to double that with the next-gen Tegra, I'll be more interested. And if it has a home dock that boosts performance further, all the better.

It will need those latter elements for me to consider multiplats on it...otherwise why go with an inferior version when I can play them on my XBox.

Bottom line to answer the question, no, if the system can play games in a fun way at home on a TV, I don't think they've abandoned home console gaming. I just need to know if it's going to be good or not.

Soundwave said:
setsunatenshi said:
multiplats? the neo and the scorpio will come out at around the same timeframe the nx will release increasing even further the gap to Nintendo while remaining on an x86 architecture. what exactly is pointing to any kind of multiplats? unless we're talking smaller games here than can run on phones, if so, then please carry on. adding to this, the neo is a half gen increase, by the time the ps5 will be out, the nx should be on its mid-life. there's 0% chance any relevant game will be working on both consoles

PS3/360 were still able to get ports of some pretty huge PS4/XB1 titles .... Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, DQ Heroes, NBA 2K, FIFA, Metal Gear Solid V. 

If the NX is 2x a 360/PS3 with 3-5x more RAM (2-4GB), I think some ports will be doable if the developer is willing to do the work of downscaling some assets. 

PS3 would probably still be getting most next-gen games if it had double the horsepower and 4GB of RAM instead 512MB, don't you think?

those games started production on ps3-360, but also the market had about 160M combined of those 2 consoles to possibly support these games. even so check the sales numbers on the new hardware and the old one. the incentive was there for the publishers to try and create special ports for the old consoles on userbase alone. the NX will start from 0 on both fronts, so that should make it quite clear why the comparison is not a good one.

on your other point, no i don't think the ps3 would still be getting most current gen games if it had simply double the power. why? because it was a completely different architecture than the x86 architecture that both PCs and current gen consoles use nowadays. ask yourself this, why didn't the wii u get any 3rd party support? surely it was more powerful than the ancient 360 and ps3 by the time it was released.

As things stand i'm not convinced the NX will be a more powerful console than the Wii U.

Not as much as Sony giving up the Handheld market.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

KLXVER said:
FloatingWaffles said:

To be honest yeah, I could see how it would look like i'm taking it seriously. Also I didn't say that Nintendo was a joke, I said that releasing a console years after the PS4 has launched that has much less power is a joke if these rumors end up being true.

But true, these are just rumors and nothing is confirmed yet I know that. It just annoys me thinking about if it is possibly true that they're using a Tegra X1 because it then shows me that they have learned nothing from the Wii U and are making the same mistake of releasing severely outdated hardware yet again, especially when the Scorpio and Neo are on the rise. 

Fair enough. I just dont think Nintendo is interested enough in games like GTA, COD, BF, AC etc... I think they want exclusive third party support. Nintendo seem to think big publishers are somehow willing to if they give them a new way to make games...

It comes down to getting consoles sold, user base is the entire incentive for making exclusive games.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
setsunatenshi said:
multiplats? the neo and the scorpio will come out at around the same timeframe the nx will release increasing even further the gap to Nintendo while remaining on an x86 architecture. what exactly is pointing to any kind of multiplats? unless we're talking smaller games here than can run on phones, if so, then please carry on. adding to this, the neo is a half gen increase, by the time the ps5 will be out, the nx should be on its mid-life. there's 0% chance any relevant game will be working on both consoles

Well by that logic, the PS4 and XB1 wont get any of the Neo and Scorpio games either then...

that makes no sense... why wouldn't the ps4 and xb1 not get any games? both consoles, as far as we know, literally share the same library of games, existing and upcoming. Same architecture, just upgraded with more recent components. When I upgrade my pc's gfx card, motherboard and CPU, do my old games stop working? No? Why not then?

Jranation said:
Not as much as Sony giving up the Handheld market.

Lol, exactly. I just don't get how it's this huge departure from the Wii philosophy.

Soundwave said:
setsunatenshi said:

PS3/360 were still able to get ports of some pretty huge PS4/XB1 titles .... Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, DQ Heroes, NBA 2K, FIFA, Metal Gear Solid V. 

If the NX is 2x a 360/PS3 with 3-5x more RAM (2-4GB), I think some ports will be doable if the developer is willing to do the work of downscaling some assets. 

PS3 would probably still be getting most next-gen games if it had double the horsepower and 4GB of RAM instead 512MB, don't you think?

not thats not how it worked. Those games you mentioned were developed for PS360 then upscaled for 4 and One dev havent been doing this for some time. So dont expect them to do it for NX

I am just going to say it because I did not read the replies and I may be the only person with this vision.

NX is a setup for Nintendo's next console. I think Nintendo is going VR for their next home console. NX is the gap bridge so franchises like Smash Bros. still have a home in the Nintendo library since a VR console could not pull this type of game off effectively and/or inexpensively. NX is the bridge for traditional gaming while Nintendo takes a major gamble on Virtual Reality.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

OT yeah probably