By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

Lets assume everything we know about the NX is more or less correct ... the system is about as powerful as a Tegra X1 allows, which is about 500 GFLOPS at full power output, which makes it better than a Wii U/360/PS3, but well behind an XB1. 

Even if it can dock to a TV, do you see yourself using this on your TV much? 

Do you view this as Nintendo kinda going portable-only? Will you consider Wii U as Nintendo's last true home console?

Would you be willing to buy multiplats on it? Does the upside in portability for a game cancel out the extra graphics.

For me I think I will still use it on my TV quite a bit, to play things like Splatoon 2. Wii U still looks good on my HDTV, and anything beyond that should be OK and being able to play games on the go will be a nice bonus. 

For multiplats for me it depends on the game. For example I'd be willing to buy a sports game like FIFA or NHL on NBA2K on NX instead of PS4/XB1 because the graphics don't matter to me as much in this scenario as long as the game play is similar. But the big sprawling adventure games? Probably PS4 or Scorpio.

Around the Network

If the rumor is true... Then yes... They are leaving the home console market with a glorified handheld that can plug into the tv...

As for multiplats... I will always buy it on PC but thats not cause its on a Nintendo device but rather for any console since PC almost always gives the best experience.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

No. I think too many gamers have given up on Nintendo consoles for different reasons.

Considering the inevitable NX TV (not a dock, just a Vita TV-like device, cheaper because no screen or battery), I would not say they are abandoning that space. But for all intents and purposes, most publishes are going to treat it like they had done so, so...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

multiplats? the neo and the scorpio will come out at around the same timeframe the nx will release increasing even further the gap to Nintendo while remaining on an x86 architecture. what exactly is pointing to any kind of multiplats? unless we're talking smaller games here than can run on phones, if so, then please carry on. adding to this, the neo is a half gen increase, by the time the ps5 will be out, the nx should be on its mid-life. there's 0% chance any relevant game will be working on both consoles

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
multiplats? the neo and the scorpio will come out at around the same timeframe the nx will release increasing even further the gap to Nintendo while remaining on an x86 architecture. what exactly is pointing to any kind of multiplats? unless we're talking smaller games here than can run on phones, if so, then please carry on. adding to this, the neo is a half gen increase, by the time the ps5 will be out, the nx should be on its mid-life. there's 0% chance any relevant game will be working on both consoles

Well by that logic, the PS4 and XB1 wont get any of the Neo and Scorpio games either then...

setsunatenshi said:

PS3/360 were still able to get ports of some pretty huge PS4/XB1 titles .... Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, DQ Heroes, NBA 2K, FIFA, Metal Gear Solid V. 

If the NX is 2x a 360/PS3 with 3-5x more RAM (2-4GB), I think some ports will be doable if the developer is willing to do the work of downscaling some assets. 

PS3 would probably still be getting most next-gen games if it had double the horsepower and 4GB of RAM instead 512MB, don't you think?

No, I don't see it that way and it would be way too early to judge that right now anyway.

And even if I did buy an NX in the future, I wouldn't buy any multiplatform games for it anyway because once again Nintendo will be cheaping out on the hardware. I already have a PS4, which will have much better specs than a console releasing years after it apparently. It's not my problem if Nintendo doesn't give a shit about third party support. What a joke. 

Also with those specs I don't see many third party games releasing on it for people to potentially buy anyway outside of the usual Monster Hunter or something along those lines.

Do you really have to ask? Of course they have, if the rumors are true.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

FloatingWaffles said:

No, I don't see it that way and it would be way too early to judge that right now anyway.

And even if I did buy an NX in the future, I wouldn't buy any multiplatform games for it anyway because once again Nintendo will be cheaping out on the hardware. I already have a PS4, which will have much better specs than a console releasing years after it apparently. It's not my problem if Nintendo doesn't give a shit about third party support. What a joke.