By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Ghostbusters budget (150 Million) need 500 million worldwide to be considered successful (NOT BREAK EVEN)

VGhippy said:
Chris Hu said:

It might have looked dated by the time you watched it but its effects where excellent for the time and it was pretty much shot before CGI became pratical since the first movie that featured a very realistic CGI character Young Sherlock Holmes didn't come out until a year later 1985.

I definitely see what you mean. I was just a late bloomer when it came to movie watching to be honest, and didn't really start till after the CGI revolution. It must have been amazing watching Ghostbusters in the cinema back then.

Same here even though I went to the theater once in a while as a kid I really didn't get into movie watching until the late 90s by then pretty much all movies used CGI instead of pratical effects.  Didn't catch Ghostbusters when it was in cinemas but I did catch E.T., Gremlins and The Never Ending Story during their original theatrical runs.

Around the Network

Definitely won't do as much as they figured it would. It is also getting the money from Papa Johns and the others, that are using the movie in their commercials.

KLXVER said:
Yet Sony says they are making another one. They seem to be very confident in the franchise.

It's jusy PR when the movie was just released. You can bet that this ghostbusters won't be getting a sequel.

Lawlight said:
KLXVER said:
Yet Sony says they are making another one. They seem to be very confident in the franchise.

It's jusy PR when the movie was just released. You can bet that this ghostbusters won't be getting a sequel.

If you want an example of what lawlight means, look up Fantastic Four before launch, hell during launch. 

Actually, it needs to make closer to $400 million to just break even. It will lose Sony somewhere between $150 million and $200 million. It's one of the biggest flops since The Lone Ranger.
As of the 2 week mark, this film has made $130 million worldwide ($94 mil dom / $36 mil int'l). The "break even" number (according to many media sources) is between $375 million - $400 million. Now, how is this estimate derived? Well, I will try my best to explain.
Production on the film was $144 million. Marketing/advertising/distribution was roughly $150 million (which brings it to around $300 million). A film doesn't get all the box office receipts - it is usually between 1/2 and 2/3 of a box office domestically. So, if a film makes say $200 million at the box office, the company actually takes in somewhere between $100 million and $135 million depending on the length of its run, etc. So, taking all that into account, to break even, this movie needs to make back the $290 million they have put into it (production+marketing+ads+distribution). Under the high end 2/3 box office ratio, that means it would need to $435 million worldwide box office to break even. Under the 1/2 box office ration, it would need to make $580 million to recoup its costs. The middle figure for the 1/2 to 2/3 is just north of $500 million Now, they will obviously get some money from merchandising and DVD sales. A legitimate estimate for that would be around $100 million. Which would put the necessary box office take to break even at $400 million:
Production+marketing+advertising+distribution = $290 million
To break even box office under the 1/2 - 2/3 rule = roughly $500 million
Minus the profits from merchandising/DVD sales = around $100 million
Worldwide box office to break even = around $400 million
So, right now it is at $130 million worldwide and poised to be in 8th place in this weekend's box office (according to BoxOfficeMojo). This thing may top out around $200 million worldwide - which would put it about $200 million short of what it needs just to break even. So, another monster loss for Sony and one of the biggest busts in recent memory.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
movie will easily do 300 million with all the DVDs and BlueRay re releases, time to move on

Being the critical and comercial flop that it is, I doubt. Even Netflix will not pay much for this stinker. DVD sales will be low as well.

I tried to watch it and, man, it is just sad. But to people that do not liked the original may enjoy it. The problem is that a lot of people enjoy the first movie...

What is realld sad to me is that this could be a good movie with so little effort. Tone down the effects, drop the "girl get super powers in the end plot", make a good script with 10, 20 solid jokes, let the audience breath between jokes, do not try so hard.

Just drop the feminist agenda, put a mixed genres team, young talented comedians, insert the old guys in the original roles passing the torch and give the director seat to a competent professional: a much better movie with much less money.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

spurgeonryan said:
If this is going to be a thing we may as well just say Cap America civil war needed a billion to break even. I mean, double 250 for the budget, and it had a huge marketing campaign so double that.

Why even make movies if they cost so much to market, it seems none have a chance to even break even for years.

Marvel makes tons from licensing, and merchandising. Ghostbusters couldn't do that. 

It also uses its movies to advertise its series and other films which may have a smaller marketing and production budget, something Ghostbusters again doesn't have. 

Also, I doubt Marvel spent 500mil advertising, maybe 250mil.

The movie will likely not even break even and I can't be happier. The whole gender gimmick was disgusting.

WagnerPaiva said:
Ruler said:
movie will easily do 300 million with all the DVDs and BlueRay re releases, time to move on

Being the critical and comercial flop that it is, I doubt. Even Netflix will not pay much for this stinker. DVD sales will be low as well.

I tried to watch it and, man, it is just sad. But to people that do not liked the original may enjoy it. The problem is that a lot of people enjoy the first movie...

What is realld sad to me is that this could be a good movie with so little effort. Tone down the effects, drop the "girl get super powers in the end plot", make a good script with 10, 20 solid jokes, let the audience breath between jokes, do not try so hard.

Just drop the feminist agenda, put a mixed genres team, young talented comedians, insert the old guys in the original roles passing the torch and give the director seat to a competent professional: a much better movie with much less money.

Here's an even better idea for how to deal with the franchise... let it rest in peace. Seriously. This is one franchise that can't replace it's cast and continue on. Bill Murry will always be Peter. Dan Aykroyd will always be Ray etc. Even if you go with an all male cast, it would still suck. 

This movie is like remaking Gone With the Wind or E.T. You just can't do it and have good results. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
WagnerPaiva said:

Here's an even better idea for how to deal with the franchise... let it rest in peace. Seriously. This is one franchise that can't replace it's cast and continue on. Bill Murry will always be Peter. Dan Aykroyd will always be Ray etc. Even if you go with an all male cast, it would still suck. 

This movie is like remaking Gone With the Wind or E.T. You just can't do it and have good results. 

You are right =)