By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Ghostbusters budget (150 Million) need 500 million worldwide to be considered successful (NOT BREAK EVEN)

Acevil said:
Lawlight said:

Ah, NA is the only region in the world? I didn't know that. I also like how you had add other movies to the list to make Ghostbusters look good. Only the BFG grossed less from that list. Got any more poor arguments?

A lot of them were disappointment sales numbers, I wouldn't say downright bombs on all of them, but some where. 

Sure, which makes Ghostbusters look even worse.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
naruball said:

Nice deflection there. Instead of addressing his point, you bring up that these are only domestic matters. You may wanna look up how much American movies get from domestic tickets and international ones. Just an idea.

Soundwave's point still stands. He pointed out a trend, whether you choose to ignore it or not, it's up to you.

50% from NA, 25% from China, 40% from RotW. Go do the maths - you can bet those movies made more than Ghostbusters (other than BFG from that list).

Come back with a stronger argument. I mean seriously - it's not like we're discussing theoritical physics. The facts are right there for you to see.

You calling other people's arguments "weak" somewhat makes them weak. Got it.

Very argument. Much strong. Wow.

naruball said:
Lawlight said:

50% from NA, 25% from China, 40% from RotW. Go do the maths - you can bet those movies made more than Ghostbusters (other than BFG from that list).

Come back with a stronger argument. I mean seriously - it's not like we're discussing theoritical physics. The facts are right there for you to see.

I already put my argument forward. And I wouldn't call an argument weak if it wasn't. I mean think about it for 2 seconds - only domestic BO matters? More than weak, it's laughable.

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

All those movies still did much at least $100M than Ghostbusters (Star Trek will get there).

The BFG - $52 million domestic

Star Trek Beyond - $109 million domestic

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: OotS - $84 million domestic

The Legend of Tarzan - $122 million domestic

Ghostbusters - $107 million domestic

Independence Day Resurgance - $102 million domestic

Alice Through the Looking Glass - $76 million domestic

Warcraft - $47 million domestic (lol). 

This summer has had many movies bomb. Basically nothing without Marvel superheroes or talking animals is working. Star Trek is performing way below the last one, that could be it for the Abrams version of the franchise. 

This is the weakest summer movie season I can remember since maybe ... 1997? 

Care to put the budget of each as well and their WW revenue for us to have a clearer comparison?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

naruball said:
Lawlight said:

your argument was that people would ignore his post because of their agenda... and then when that is answered and says that post was only a narrow view you can`t counter it... but you want to decide what is a weak argument? Funny.

Any more acusations of agendas you want to make?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Soundwave said:

The BFG - $52 million domestic

Star Trek Beyond - $109 million domestic

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: OotS - $84 million domestic

The Legend of Tarzan - $122 million domestic

Ghostbusters - $107 million domestic

Independence Day Resurgance - $102 million domestic

Alice Through the Looking Glass - $76 million domestic

Warcraft - $47 million domestic (lol). 

This summer has had many movies bomb. Basically nothing without Marvel superheroes or talking animals is working. Star Trek is performing way below the last one, that could be it for the Abrams version of the franchise. 

This is the weakest summer movie season I can remember since maybe ... 1997? 

Care to put the budget of each as well and their WW revenue for us to have a clearer comparison?

Warcraft = $433.0 / $160

Independence Day: Resurgance = $372.8 / $165

The Legend of Tarzan = $311.8 / $180

Alice Through the Looking Glass = $287.0 / $170

TMNT: Out of the Shadows = $236.4 / $135

Star Trek Beyond = $166 / $185

Ghostbusters = $159.6 / $144

The BFG = $112.7 / $140

*all numbers are in millions (obviously)
** Source: boxofficemojo.com

I included the global box office total for each movie followed by production budgets. I even sorted them into a sort of pecking order for you. While Ghostbusters has done relatively well in English speaking territories the rest of the world has been less receptive which limits its potential. I expect the new Star Trek to move up a couple spots but Ghostbusters will likely remain the second biggest flop of the summer. Most moviegoers aren't interested in this cavalcade of mediocrity, who knew?

bouzane said:
DonFerrari said:

Warcraft = $433.0 / $160

The BFG = $112.7 / $140

I included the global box office total for each movie followed by production budgets. I even sorted them into a sort of pecking order for you. While Ghostbusters has done relatively well in English speaking territories the rest of the world has been less receptive which limits its potential. I expect the new Star Trek to move up a couple spots but Ghostbusters will likely remain the second biggest flop of the summer. Most moviegoers aren't interested in this cavalcade of mediocrity, who knew?

Thank you man... and that shows how much Soundwave tried to make it seem something totally different than reality.

DonFerrari said:
bouzane said:

Warcraft = $433.0 / $160

The BFG = $112.7 / $140

Thank you man... and that shows how much Soundwave tried to make it seem something totally different than reality.

He is right, anything below Legend of Tarzan looks like it will not make any real money, beating production budget means nothing. 

DonFerrari said:
bouzane said:

Warcraft = $433.0 / $160

The BFG = $112.7 / $140

I've watched trailers and adverts for BFG from last year. It probably had a much bigger advertising budget compared to Ghostbusters. 

Looks like Star Trek Beyond won't do much better than Ghostbusters. I don't think it will bring in another $40Mil in a week. In its first full week it brought in about $55Mil. It's Sunday and Monday figures have already dropping by 50%.

Bourne seems to be doing well.

Acevil said:
DonFerrari said:

He is right, anything below Legend of Tarzan looks like it will not make any real money, beating production budget means nothing. 

You have to think more on the studio level finance. Alice and BFG made only a dent on Disney incredible year. Universal still has its pocket full from last year, and Warner and analists expected Tarzan to bomb as hard as "Pan" (120mi WW).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pan.htm

That was one of the reasons BvS should have made 1bi to compensate for others flops of the studio.

Fox is also in good shape, so little chance for they giving up Fantastic 4 or X-Men.

The problem with Sony is that they don't have any more franchise with wide apeal. Ghostbusters was the studio biggest movie of the year.