By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Ghostbusters budget (150 Million) need 500 million worldwide to be considered successful (NOT BREAK EVEN)

Acevil said:
DonFerrari said:

Thank you man... and that shows how much Soundwave tried to make it seem something totally different than reality.

He is right, anything below Legend of Tarzan looks like it will not make any real money, beating production budget means nothing. 

That is undeniably true. While Warcraft is a modest success and Star Trek Beyond will be joining it the same can not be said for Independence Day, Tarzan, Alice or TMNT thanks to the cost of advertising. Ghostbusters might be able to match the global box office for TMNT but it has to earn considerably more money to make up for its unusally large advertising budget though. This means that it will remain the second biggest flop this summer that I am aware of (although nowhere near the trainwreck that is The BFG).

As far as I see it:

The BFG = disaster
Ghostbusters = flop
The Legend of Tarzan = minor flop
Alice Through the Looking Glass = minor flop
TMNT: Out of the Shadows = minor flop
Independence Day: Resurgance = meh
Warcraft = meh+
Star Trek Beyond = meh+ (maybe)

Around the Network

My guess is Ben Hur remake (why?) will be the biggest flop of the Summer in a very lacking Summer of movies.

Fei-Hung said:
DonFerrari said:

Thank you man... and that shows how much Soundwave tried to make it seem something totally different than reality.

I've watched trailers and adverts for BFG from last year. It probably had a much bigger advertising budget compared to Ghostbusters. 

Looks like Star Trek Beyond won't do much better than Ghostbusters. I don't think it will bring in another $40Mil in a week. In its first full week it brought in about $55Mil. It's Sunday and Monday figures have already dropping by 50%.

Bourne seems to be doing well.

Its trailers looked solid too, plus I love the books and the movies.

Im happy it hear its doing well. My dad is a huge fan, so he ll probably drag us with him.

the amazing thing is Sony's biggest hit being a film with possibly a tiny budget and barely any marketing making them the most money. They made over 500 million just from China.

Fei-Hung said:
the amazing thing is Sony's biggest hit being a film with possibly a tiny budget and barely any marketing making them the most money. They made over 500 million just from China.

What movie is that?

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Sony pictures makes cheap and shit movies. Plus they lack direction. This is kinda expected.

James Bond,  Spiderman Movies, Men In Black e.t.c are cheap and shitty movies?

MikeRox said:
hershel_layton said:
How the hell did it cost 150m to make the movie?

The special effects weren't even that amazing...

Compensation for the gender wage gap?

Don't forget some one has to pay for all those private planes, Limo's ,ferrari's and luxury homes in Hollywood .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Lawlight said:
Fei-Hung said:

What movie is that?

The Mermeid 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mermaid2016.htm

fedfed said:
as rule I think that any movie will have to make double of their budget to break even. This movies deserves more - it is quite good I must say... seeing flopping is quite sad!

If we are just talking box office numbers its more then that since the production budget doesn't include the marketing budget some movies spend as much or more on marketing then their production budget.

Fei-Hung said:

Yeah that would be nice but I already mentioned it in another thread the movie isn't a Sony Picture its a Chinese movie that was distributed by Sony outside China but since it only made a little over $3 million outside China at the box office Sony didn't really make anything worth mentioning from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mermaid_(2016_film)