By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "Make America great again"... But when was America great?

America

Is greater than ever 42 18.92%

Was greater before 80 36.04%

Was never great 59 26.58%

"A horse with no na... 41 18.47%

Total:222
JRPGfan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

This may be over simplifing it but, if someone is rich, there is no better country on earth to live in. If someone is poor and wants to get rich, again, there is no better country to live in. If, however, someone is poor and is going to remain poor for the rest of their lives, the US is a horrible place to live. Social services are almost nonexistent. Health care is still treated like a luxary. Great schools as well... it's just not a place to live if someone intends on living with government assistance.

^ thats actually a lie.

Europe is the place that "grows" most poor->rich, pr capita.

By alot, many more times than america, simply because getting a education is free here (and starting a bussiness is easier here).

I saw a video that asked a socialogical question "where is the best place in the world to get rich?".

The answear wasnt america.

I would have to disagree with you and anyone who says otherwise. The US is the wild west. You can come here and rip people off almost without consequence. Compared to the EU, the US is totally unregulated. Getting rich is the goal and the only goal. Shady business practices are encouraged. It's not "fucking people over" it's "living the dream". Google, Apple, Microsoft... this is the land for sociopathic individuals. Donald Trump? Need I say more?

I don't know you personally, but it sounds like you have trouble handling the fact that we excel in anything which hopefully, isn't the truth. Everywhere excels in something. Where we're the best in one area, the EU is better in another. Life isn't black and white.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
JRPGfan said:

^ thats actually a lie.

Europe is the place that "grows" most poor->rich, pr capita.

By alot, many more times than america, simply because getting a education is free here (and starting a bussiness is easier here).

I saw a video that asked a socialogical question "where is the best place in the world to get rich?".

The answear wasnt america.

I would have to disagree with you and anyone who says otherwise. The US is the wild west. You can come here and rip people off almost without consequence. Compared to the EU, the US is totally unregulated. Getting rich is the goal and the only goal. Shady business practices are encouraged. It's no "fucking people over" it's "living the dream". Google, Apple, Microsoft... this is the land for sociopathic individuals. Donald Trump? Need I say more?

I don't know you personally, but it sounds like you have trouble handling the fact that we excel in anything which hopefully, isn't the truth. Everywhere excels in something. Where we're the best in one area, the EU is better in another. Life isn't black and white.

Maybe.... but FACTs say you are wrong.

There are more Self made rich people, in europe than in the US.

Theres also many times more poor -> rich, in europe than the US.

Watch the video if you dont believe me. These are facts.

This guy has a pHD in sociology and researched these numbers.

He did it because he wanted to know "where was the easiest place to get rich" (the american dream).

Turns out its not in the US.

JRPGfan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I would have to disagree with you and anyone who says otherwise. The US is the wild west. You can come here and rip people off almost without consequence. Compared to the EU, the US is totally unregulated. Getting rich is the goal and the only goal. Shady business practices are encouraged. It's no "fucking people over" it's "living the dream". Google, Apple, Microsoft... this is the land for sociopathic individuals. Donald Trump? Need I say more?

Theres almost many times more poor -> rich, in europe than the US.

Facts? Google, perhaps? which country has the most millionaires.

chapset said:
When white men had all the power and could do whatever they wanted while the minorities and women had to shut the fuc* up

Amen!

But seriously, I think he's referring to a period when making a living was arguably easier. However, quality of life for the poor is better than its ever been. Especially if you don't make dumb decisions like shit out a bunch of babies with no job skills.

Bottomline, there is alot of rhetoric coming from both left and right. People just focus on Trump for obvious reasons.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AlfredoTurkey said:
JRPGfan said:

Theres almost many times more poor -> rich, in europe than the US.

Facts? Google, perhaps? which country has the most millionaires.

That isn't a measure of economic mobility.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
JustcallmeRiff said:

People use American exceptionalism to justify atrocities by American to maintain it's military and economic interests. I want America to have the best education system in the world instead of the biggest military budget in the world.

That's perfectly fine if that's what you want. These people want the government's primary responsibility to be infrastructure and defending its citizens. Everything else is secondary.

The government's responsibility is to Ensure life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.that if you read the Constitution.

JustcallmeRiff said:
Locknuts said:

All that fucking woman talks about is her struggle as a black person. Her and that lanky husband of hers need to get over their victim mentality. 

They're only the most powerful couple in the world!

Them being the most powerful couple was the point. It is sad that "victim mentality" was your take away from that comment. You could watch the speech for better context. Based on your preconceived notions I won't be holding my breath.

What preconceived notions?

America was great during the first half of the 20th century profiteering from two world wars and emerging as the world's economic super power. America was at its peak during the 1950s and 1960s. Since the 1970s America, incompetent US Presidents adopting bad economic policies have resulted in the decline of the American economy.

It's great now but it's not as great as it was in the 1990s.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
America was great during the first half of the 20th century profiteering from two world wars and emerging as the world's economic super power. America was at its peak during the 1950s and 1960s. Since the 1970s America, incompetent US Presidents adopting bad economic policies have resulted in the decline of the American economy.

It's not the decline of the US economy it's simply that other countries got competetive.

It's easy to win a basketball game when you're playing against 2nd graders. Not so easy when countries like Japan and China are making products that are either 

A) Far better in quality (even Americans used to turn their nose up to American cars and electronics, always buy Japanese if you want quality, etc.)

B) Or similar quality to American products but far cheaper like China, Taiwan, India, etc. can make. 

That and the economic engine of Europe (Germany) was split in two during the Cold War, with the end of the Cold War and also the re-emergence of Russia in the open market (and China too) things have changed dramatically.