By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "Make America great again"... But when was America great?

America

Is greater than ever 42 18.92%

Was greater before 80 36.04%

Was never great 59 26.58%

"A horse with no na... 41 18.47%

Total:222

Considering that we are heading to another collapse worse than 2008, it won't happen anytime soon.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

Both the Nords and the Arabs who successfully navigated to America managed to visit without wrecking it.

Arabs went to America? 0.0

MohammadBadir said:
Fei-Hung said:

Both the Nords and the Arabs who successfully navigated to America managed to visit without wrecking it.

No. There are fringe theories that Arabs from Al-Andalus made it to America sometime in the 12th century but they're just theories. There are also theories that the Chinese, Irish, Bretons, Romans, Greeks, Phoenicians, Mali and Egyptians did the same.

It's not exactly a good example either. Sure they didn't wreck America, but what the Vikings did in Britain and the Arabs in India was not much better. if they had the chance, they would have done the same in America too.

Leadified said:
MohammadBadir said:

No. There are fringe theories that Arabs from Al-Andalus made it to America sometime in the 12th century but they're just theories. There are also theories that the Chinese, Irish, Bretons, Romans, Greeks, Phoenicians, Mali and Egyptians did the same.

It's not exactly a good example either. Sure they didn't wreck America, but what the Vikings did in Britain and the Arabs in India was not much better. if they had the chance, they would have done the same in America too.

Arabs wrecked europe for 4 centuries, if it weren't the Crusades, EU would be a 99% muslim continent today.

Birimbau said:
Leadified said:

Arabs wrecked europe for 4 centuries, if it weren't the Crusades, EU would be a 99% muslim continent today.

Let's not try to twist this into how bad the Arabs are, that wasn't even my point. The point is that it's not a good idea to suggest how much better other people are when they could be equally guilty of the same crime elsewhere in the world.

Around the Network

When England owned it! 😉

Leadified said:
Birimbau said:

Let's not try to twist this into how bad the Arabs are, that wasn't even my point. The point is that it's not a good idea to suggest how much better other people are when they could be equally guilty of the same crime elsewhere in the world.

That time there was no human right ideals as of today. Any powerful civilization would destroy any underpowered one at those times.  Europe was capable of stand against arab invasion, but america natives failed to counter eu invasion.

It's not about good v bad, but who has more power.

This video is pretty stupid, greatness is alway's relative to the rest of the world at the time. U.S. dominance started at the en of the 19th century. The 50's and 60's was probably the peak when it was the furthest ahead and the most powerfull and wealthy nation in the world. Overall i would this dominance lasted till the 90's.

Captain_Yuri said:
Goodnightmoon said:

You mean when a drunk sociopath with low Iq was its president? :P 

Worked out well for gaming and thats all that matters xP

It was ok.  I prefer the gaming years with the under-the-desk pimp president before him myself.  

Lube Me Up

JustcallmeRiff said:
outlawauron said:

Indeed. The decade after WW2, the US was at its strongest.

That's probably the biggest differences between Democrats and Republicans. When they thinks about a country being great, they don't think about social issues that affected the time (which is the "joke" of the whole video), but the leadership, military, and economy.

People use American exceptionalism to justify atrocities by American to maintain it's military and economic interests. I want America to have the best education system in the world instead of the biggest military budget in the world.

That's perfectly fine if that's what you want. These people want the government's primary responsibility to be infrastructure and defending its citizens. Everything else is secondary.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.