By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Ghostbusters Meta critic user score 2.3

I have no intention of seeing the movie in theaters, but the reviews I've read seem to confirm my fears about the movie. Those fears being that it's a generic 2016 comedy cosplaying as a Ghostbusters movie.

Which is a shame, but not terribly surprising.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Azuren said:

Regardless of what progressive-minded people would like to think

That's just one of the counter-arguments that I don't like.

I am fine with a female lead because I am fine with it. I am not trying to be progressive by having no problem with an all female cast.

I don't think it's progressive to replace a male lead with a female lead, or a gay lead, or a transgender lead anyway. Nor I think it's a problem.

What I care about is the delivery of the script, the talent and the acting.

I am a huge Silent Hill fan and I had no problems with the lead being a female when they decided to turn the games into a movie. I wasn't trying to be progressive back then, I just didn't care. I absolutely loathed the movie though, for many reasons. Not having a male lead wasn't one of them.

And I also disgree about your idea of any reboot. When you reboot you are free to determine who is the audience you are targeting. Old fans, new fans, fangrils or fanboys. Financial success is a different matter. If I, as a consumer, ended up like the reboot better, good for me. I don't care if the reboot flopped or not, or if the fans of the original GB liked it or not.

1. Not liking a counter argument doesn't invalidate it. Typically, it does so even more because the source of the dislike is an inability to properly counter it. 

2. A single female lead isn't progressive. A single gay lead is, if we're being honest, progressive. An entire cast of female leads? That's either progressive, or a chick flik.

3. I never argued the script. As i decided not to watch the movie, i cant argue the script. I'm arguing the creative choice of turning what was essentially a "boy franchise" into an all girl movie. 

4. Silent Hill had reason: a mother figure looking for her child works better than a father figure. That's a legitimate reason to change the gender of a character.

5. I never said any reboot, nor did i say they aren't free to pick their audience. I'm pointing out why many are asking for justification on why the gender swap happened aside from just being a gimmick. I'm pointing out why people are displeased with the creative choice that was taken; because many people who like the originals found someone to identify with in those movies, but had that taken away with the reboot. 

It seems you're of the mindset I'm attacking the movie. I'm not, because I don't really care. Am I disappointed? Yeah, it could have had a character I felt I could identify with, and I might've generated some interest in the movie. Instead it's just a chick flik. But I'm not attacking the movie because I haven't seen it. I'm explaining why people don't like the gender swap. Please read my posts carefully to decipher what I'm trying to relay, because it's clear that you're simply on defense for a movie you like. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Lawlight said:
LurkerJ said:

Pretty much the attitude of all haters who are preconvinced that their opinion was right all along. Do you know what we call them in the real world?

Close-minded people. 

I'm sure the producers are loving the support they are getting from SJWs who think they are changing the world. Those bunch really need to get laid.

Damn, dude. Were you personally raped by the cast of the movie? 

The vitriol against it is just ridiculous. It's a movie.

LurkerJ said:

I am a huge Silent Hill fan and I had no problems with the lead being a female when they decided to turn the games into a movie. I wasn't trying to be progressive back then, I just didn't care. I absolutely loathed the movie though, for many reasons. Not having a male lead wasn't one of them.

Azuren said:

4. Silent Hill had reason: a mother figure looking for her child works better than a father figure. That's a legitimate reason to change the gender of a character.

Completely off-topic here, but I disagree with these two statements. First of all, there shouldn't have been any problem of a Silent Hill movie having a female protagonist because a) there had been already a mainline Silent Hill with a female protagonist, and b) the movie isn't the story of the first game. It's a mesh of several Silent Hill concepts which actually includes a parent looking for his children, like the plot of SH1.

Second, I don't think a mother figure works better. If the character is presented as protective, and caring, it really doesn't matter the genre of the character nor the audience can emphatize more with it. While the movie doesn't follow closely the plot of the game, it doesn't really mader because no gender was changed at all, just a female lead was picked.

Azuren said:

1) And in this case there's a good reason for not liking it - becuase it's condescending. Countering it is as simple as saying "nu-uh", as it is baseless.

2) Your definition of progressive is not mine and not most people's.

3) And you use words like "you can't turn X into Y" etc. Obviously you can and it will generate a lot of publicity.

4) Not that anyone needs a reason, even less so one that you subjectively deem "legitimate", but "it's interesting" is reason enough.

5) And you are pointing it out using your own unbased assumptions and perhaps even some projection.

And finally, it is up to us to decide whether or not what you're doing is "attacking the movie". The only thing you have control over is how clearly you state your opinion.

Around the Network
Wright said:

Azuren said:

Second, I don't think a mother figure works better. If the character is presented as protective, and caring, it really doesn't matter the genre of the character nor the audience can emphatize more with it. While the movie doesn't follow closely the plot of the game, it doesn't really mader because no gender was changed at all, just a female lead was picked.

I disagree, I think it does work better with a mother.  It's more congruent with current gender roles as therefore require less suspension of disbelief.

I don't really have any plans on seeing the film in theaters, but from everything I've heard it's a decent film. Not great or even close to the original, but as far as summer releases go it's above average. As far as user reviews are concerned they were always going to be like this, since a lot of people decided a long time ago that the film would suck. It didn't really matter how the reviews for the film turned out as those people would have either been saying "I told you so" or "the critics were paid off", depending on the result.

I don't really care about the whole "controversy" surrounding the film's female cast since it was childish and stupid from the start, but that's the internet for you.

Azuren said:
LurkerJ said:

That's just one of the counter-arguments that I don't like.

I am fine with a female lead because I am fine with it. I am not trying to be progressive by having no problem with an all female cast.

I don't think it's progressive to replace a male lead with a female lead, or a gay lead, or a transgender lead anyway. Nor I think it's a problem.

What I care about is the delivery of the script, the talent and the acting.

And I also disgree about your idea of any reboot. When you reboot you are free to determine who is the audience you are targeting. Old fans, new fans, fangrils or fanboys. Financial success is a different matter. If I, as a consumer, ended up like the reboot better, good for me. I don't care if the reboot flopped or not, or if the fans of the original GB liked it or not.

1. Not liking a counter argument doesn't invalidate it. Typically, it does so even more because the source of the dislike is an inability to properly counter it. 

1. I don't like it because it simplifies everyone's reasoning for being ok with a female lead into a simple "they are being progressive", "afraid of SJW reactions" etc. 

2. A single female lead isn't progressive. A single gay lead is, if we're being honest, progressive. An entire cast of female leads? That's either progressive, or a chick flik.

2. Gender/sexual orientation swapping isn't progressive in my opinion. I don't mind it, but that's not how you push for progress.

3. I never argued the script. As i decided not to watch the movie, i cant argue the script. I'm arguing the creative choice of turning what was essentially a "boy franchise" into an all girl movie. 

3. And I am not saying the script is good, I've not seen the movie. I am saying if the script/the delivery is good then I will like the movie regardless of who is playing the lead.

4. What? No, it's not a good reason at all. It didnt' work better. I didn't know why the director decided to go with a female lead, because I didn't mind it, but if that was his/her reasoning then wow, no wonder he/she got everything else wrong. 

5. I never said any reboot, nor did i say they aren't free to pick their audience. I'm pointing out why many are asking for justification on why the gender swap happened aside from just being a gimmick. I'm pointing out why people are displeased with the creative choice that was taken; because many people who like the originals found someone to identify with in those movies, but had that taken away with the reboot. 

5. That's fine, but to call them displeased is an understatement.

They are spreading hate all over the webs, labeling people who like the movie with SJWs and other stuff , saying the movie couldn't have possibily received negative reviews because the SJWs would've attacked those reviewers, or because it would have been poltically wrong to give it a negative score, giving the movie low ratings without actually seeing it, acting if the original theme song is a Radiohead masterpiece that can't be replicated when in reality it's more like a backstreet song covered by 1D-tier band, etc

It seems you're of the mindset I'm attacking the movie. I'm not, because I don't really care. Am I disappointed? Yeah, it could have had a character I felt I could identify with, and I might've generated some interest in the movie. Instead it's just a chick flik. But I'm not attacking the movie because I haven't seen it. I'm explaining why people don't like the gender swap. Please read my posts carefully to decipher what I'm trying to relay, because it's clear that you're simply on defense for a movie you like. 

I don't like the movie. I haven't seen it. I am not on defense mode, I am find what's happening comical. That's all.

Psychotic said:

I disagree, I think it does work better with a mother.  It's more congruent with current gender roles as therefore require less suspension of disbelief.

So you're saying a father wouldn't go to the same lengths to protect his children like a mother would?

Wright said:
LurkerJ said:

Azuren said:

Completely off-topic here, but I disagree with these two statements. First of all, there shouldn't have been any problem of a Silent Hill movie having a female protagonist because a) there had been already a mainline Silent Hill with a female protagonist, and b) the movie isn't the story of the first game. It's a mesh of several Silent Hill concepts which actually includes a parent looking for his children, like the plot of SH1.

I did say it did NOT matter to me what the gender was, even if the movie was completley based on the first game, which as it turned out, it wasn't.I thoguht it was before seeing it though, and I had no problems with "gender swapping".

I was NOT trying to be progressive. I was just ok with it. I am NOT being progressive now when I say it's ok for GB: the reboot to have an all female cast either.