By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest issue with Nintendo for you

Cloudman said:
oniyide said:

keyword is "seemed" anyone that cared to look into a little knows that not really the case. Sony had motion in there controller day one. How could they copy if it was there at launch the same time as Wii? You heard Sony copied? How? You mean to tell me that Sony put motion tech in their controller after seeing Wii in the same year it launched? That would be impressive on Sony's part. If Wii u was successful nothing. The pad isnt as innovative as motion control. Sony and MS wouldve continued cause there systems wouldve sold regardless.

Examples. Casue the real world would disagree.

Well, there is the thought that Sony may have quickly added in the six-axis into the control since it was announced less than 8 months after the Wii's motion control scheme, and one of the games to support the sixaxis control sceme, Warhawk, was said the motion controls were developed 2 weeks before E3. Also, the game that I mentioned which was rendered very unplayable was Lair, which focused on poor motion control, so much so that standard analog controls were patched in later. And in its large library, only about 100 some games use motion control, and that likely includes Playstation move as well.

Whether Sony intended motion controls to be in the control  from the beginning or added later, I find it hard to believe they were interested in it, since Ken Kutaragi was presented the motion control patent before Nintendo, and he turned it down. (Technically he offered to buy it for 50 cents, but of course there's no way someone would take that deal.)

Either way, it doesn't matter. I'm not talking about the six axis controller. I've talking about the Playstation Move (and Kinect) which the Move seems more so similar to the Wiimote. The demonstration for it looks like ideas already used in Wiisports, Wiisports Resort, Red Steel, Umbrella Chronicles,  Silent Hill Shattered Memories, etc. Sony and MS making their motion devices after Ninten showed massive success with theirs likely does look like copying to the average person.

Why would it be hard to believe? Unless people willfully ignore the fact that the PS2 had a motion control device prior to WIi even being revealed. ANd the eyetoy for ps3 was available from the jump

True, but we arent average people so we know better, at least I hope

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
oniyide said:

keyword is "seemed" anyone that cared to look into a little knows that not really the case. Sony had motion in there controller day one. How could they copy if it was there at launch the same time as Wii? You heard Sony copied? How? You mean to tell me that Sony put motion tech in their controller after seeing Wii in the same year it launched? That would be impressive on Sony's part. If Wii u was successful nothing. The pad isnt as innovative as motion control. Sony and MS wouldve continued cause there systems wouldve sold regardless.

When the Wii remote was shown, people were in awe. It was shown long before it debut, though.  That was back when Sony still had that "batarang" looking controller. At a later event, when they actually announced that it would be called "Wii", Sony showed their SIXAXIS controller and, according to G4, Nintendo was in trouble.

I'm sure I can find the announcement dates of I try.  Now, I'm pretty sure Sony had to be working on motion controls for a while but the way they unveiled it seemed a little foul.

*In fact, now that I think about it, I know they had been working on motion control for a while. Several videos appeared after Sony was accused of copying--I think some went back to the early ps2 days*

Ok I could concede to that. It was a little foul. Not gonna lie I completly forgot about the batarang controller. I agree that when Wii was showed that Sony and MS decided to put more emphasis on motion control than they would otherwise, you would have to be crazy to think different. BUT this whole Sony and MS copied is flat out wrong considering, Sony at least was already clearly working with motion tech, the devices dont even work the same. Move uses different tech than Wiimote.

d21lewis said:
oniyide said:

When the Wii remote was shown, people were in awe. It was shown long before it debut, though.  That was back when Sony still had that "batarang" looking controller. At a later event, when they actually announced that it would be called "Wii", Sony showed their SIXAXIS controller and, according to G4, Nintendo was in trouble.

I'm sure I can find the announcement dates of I try.  Now, I'm pretty sure Sony had to be working on motion controls for a while but the way they unveiled it seemed a little foul.

*In fact, now that I think about it, I know they had been working on motion control for a while. Several videos appeared after Sony was accused of copying--I think some went back to the early ps2 days*

You know, I saw that video from G4 about Ninten being in trouble just recently. That was a pretty funny comment from them.. xD+`

oniyide said:
Cloudman said:

Well, there is the thought that Sony may have quickly added in the six-axis into the control since it was announced less than 8 months after the Wii's motion control scheme, and one of the games to support the sixaxis control sceme, Warhawk, was said the motion controls were developed 2 weeks before E3. Also, the game that I mentioned which was rendered very unplayable was Lair, which focused on poor motion control, so much so that standard analog controls were patched in later. And in its large library, only about 100 some games use motion control, and that likely includes Playstation move as well.

Whether Sony intended motion controls to be in the control  from the beginning or added later, I find it hard to believe they were interested in it, since Ken Kutaragi was presented the motion control patent before Nintendo, and he turned it down. (Technically he offered to buy it for 50 cents, but of course there's no way someone would take that deal.)

Either way, it doesn't matter. I'm not talking about the six axis controller. I've talking about the Playstation Move (and Kinect) which the Move seems more so similar to the Wiimote. The demonstration for it looks like ideas already used in Wiisports, Wiisports Resort, Red Steel, Umbrella Chronicles,  Silent Hill Shattered Memories, etc. Sony and MS making their motion devices after Ninten showed massive success with theirs likely does look like copying to the average person.

Why would it be hard to believe? Unless people willfully ignore the fact that the PS2 had a motion control device prior to WIi even being revealed. ANd the eyetoy for ps3 was available from the jump

Well, I did just mention the same people who announced the six axis as something innovative also dismissed a similar that was presented to them before Nintendo. D21lewis is right though, the way the presented it does look like they were following Nintendo, even if they were working on similar ideas too. Nintendo presented it in a way that appealed to people, and the Move looks more like they were following Nintendo.

And, when I saw the move, I thought it looked like Sony following Nintendo as well. So who knows, maybe gamers feel the same as well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

oniyide said:
TruckOSaurus said:

With how tacked-on and crappy the sixaxis controls were it wouldn't surprise me!

they worked just as well as original wiimote. 

Not really, the sixaxis was terrible for throwing grenades in Uncharted or balancing across beams in Mirror's Edge. While not 1:1 accurate, the original Wii remote worked as intended in Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart for motion controls plus the IR pointer controls were awesome from the get-go.

Signature goes here!

Cloudman said:
d21lewis said:

You know, I saw that video from G4 about Ninten being in trouble just recently. That was a pretty funny comment from them.. xD+`

oniyide said:

Well, I did just mention the same people who announced the six axis as something innovative also dismissed a similar that was presented to them before Nintendo. D21lewis is right though, the way the presented it does look like they were following Nintendo, even if they were working on similar ideas too. Nintendo presented it in a way that appealed to people, and the Move looks more like they were following Nintendo.

And, when I saw the move, I thought it looked like Sony following Nintendo as well. So who knows, maybe gamers feel the same as well.

they were following Ninty. 

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
oniyide said:

they worked just as well as original wiimote. 

Not really, the sixaxis was terrible for throwing grenades in Uncharted or balancing across beams in Mirror's Edge. While not 1:1 accurate, the original Wii remote worked as intended in Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart for motion controls plus the IR pointer controls were awesome from the get-go.

Mario Galaxy didnt really use motion, it was mostly pointer and flick of the wrist. really basic stuff. Wii Sports? the boxing section would have a word with you. Maril Kart controls sucked. Any dancing game controls sucked. Star Wars Force Unleashed controls sucked. Red Steel controls sucked. Pretty much anything that wasnt pointing sucked. Bully was good though.

My main issues are:

1 - They have many great IP's, but don't have enough studios to take full advantage of them. Just to name a few, we've yet to see in this gen a true Metroid game, Advance Wars, F-Zero, Punch-Out! , Golden Sun and Eternal Darkness.
2 - They are terrible at handling the transition between generations, at least for home consoles. Happened with the Wii and it's happening again with Wii U.
3 - The lack of a meaningful support from third parties even in the only region where they still reign.
4 - Region lock is just plain stupid at this point, NoA's decisions concerning the localization of some games available in physical format in Europe as digital-only titles (aka Fatal Frame V) doesn't help to bear it.
4 - Lack of support in my region. South America isn't exactly a big market, but the fact that I couldn't find an AC Adapter for my 3DS in the whole country and had to end up importing one speaks volumes of their lack of interest in it. In many stores you'll be able to find more games for Vita than for Wii U and 3DS put together, 3DS games are also more expensive than PS4 ones...
5 - My Nintendo still doesn't reward the purchase of physical games...

oniyide said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Mario Galaxy didnt really use motion, it was mostly pointer and flick of the wrist. really basic stuff. Wii Sports? the boxing section would have a word with you. Maril Kart controls sucked. Any dancing game controls sucked. Star Wars Force Unleashed controls sucked. Red Steel controls sucked. Pretty much anything that wasnt pointing sucked. Bully was good though.

Galaxy used tilt controls for the ball rolling and stingray racing segments, and they worked very well.

The problems with the sixaxis were (A) the way you held it made any motion outside of basic tilting extremely awkward compared to the Wiimote, and (B) it lacked an IR pointer.

Any motion controlled gameplay on Sixaxis you could do just as well or better with the Wiimote, while you simply couldn't do stuff like Metroid Prime 3 with Sixaxis.

I think personnel only real issue for with Wii U was software droughts, sometime they were several months passing before release game that I want to play. But I am pretty sure they correct that with NX.

The games themselves. Platformers, bright colors and light-hearted stuff is not for me. Never have been.