By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

binary solo said:
Goatseye said:

This week at E3 Microsoft officially confirmed they are working on a more powerful Xbox One currently called Project Scorpio. This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps thanks to its 6 TFLOPs GPU. For those who don’t know much about GPU horsepower, that’s roughly equivalent to the highest end PC graphics cards available at the moment (think a Nvidia 980 or 1080).

Sony has been working on a more powerful PS4 codenamed “Neo”. However, this new PS4 likely won’t be able to pull off full native 4K gaming due to the current rumor that the system won’t come close to 6 TFLOPs (current rumor is about 4 TFLOPs). In an interview with Time, it appears that Sony is aware of this and Sony’s Shawn Layden tries to deflect the narrative away from console power:

“Is that going to be the end-all, be-all of the gaming experience? No,” he said. “I think more than anything else today, we’re seeing the power of narrative move the gaming business forward more than ever before.”

This is pretty hilarious as over the past three years all gamers have heard is how much more powerful the PlayStation 4 is over the Xbox One. Now that the tables have turned, and Microsoft has a Xbox One that will be more powerful than the new PS4, Sony is talking more about game narrative than hardware power.

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/06/sony-tries-downplay-microsofts-project-scorpio-hardware-power/

http://search.time.com/?q=Layden&site=time

I think they have it wrong. Gamers have been talking about PS4 being more powerful than Xb one not Sony. I may be forgetting, but as far as I know Sony hasn't used PS4's greater power as PR or part of its marketing. IIRC most of the early talk about power was from MS trying to use all sorts of secret sauce stuff to claim that Xb one is more powerful or as powerful as PS4. When gaming media talked to Sony reps about PS4 being more powerful of course they would agree that this is the case, but the Sony reps didn't proactively bring it into conversations.

Around the Network

The site is called Furious Fanboys lol.

It might be more powerful, but PS4 still has the best games. It will all come too late for MS. The gap in exclusives and console base will be huge by the time Scorpio releases

Standard PR. If you have a feature you emphasize the hell out of it.

If you don't, you minimize, minimize, minimize.

The tables have turned?

People talk like the Neo is already out. Sony has not even officially announced it yet.

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

If it's Polaris based that's not happening. And if it's Nvidia based, it's going to be supremely expensive. GTX 1080 can just do that on most games.

Yeah, this smells just like the 7th gen 1080p talk. Yes Scorpio can do 4k 60fps games, but they will have pretty simple graphics. Even 4K 30fps won't be standard.

We're getting 900p and below games on current 8th gen hardware, and most of the time games are running at 30fps. 900p is 1.44 million pixels, 4K is 9.437 million pixels. That's a 6.5* increase. And on top of that people think Scorpio will push that out at 60fps? When 6 teraflops is only 4.5* Xb one's 1.31 Teraflops.

We'll see as many 4k 60fps games on Scorpio as we do 1080p 60fps games on Xb one, and as many 4K 30fps games on Scorpio as we do 1080p 30fps games on Xb one.

But also you have to remember console-level optimisation. So I think we'll see as many 4k 30fps titles on Scorpio as we do 1080P 30fps on PS4. 

Most scorpio games will be 4k 30fps. With only some games being 4k60fps.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Teeqoz said:
"This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps"

Well that's certainly optimistic.

That's a nice way of putting it.

Sony will probably match or have better power for the Neo

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Let's cut to the chase about one thing. The fallout Microsoft experienced over the "power" disparity between the XO and PS4 was almost entirely about resolution, which wasn't actually about power. It was about Microsoft making a mistake with the size of the console's SRAM cache.

As quite a few people have 1080p televisions, this ballooned into an issue.

The question about Neo and Scorpio then becomes, will we see the same situation play out with 4K? Will Scorpio consistently hit 4K while Neo consistently fails? And will 4K be important to people when both those consoles release?

In that situation, we might see "resolution gate" all over again. However, if even one of those things ends up false, then I don't see there being much of a problem. Both Neo and Scorpio will be playing standard PS4 and Xbox One games, only at higher settings.

I'm curious to know just how much smaller they can make the PS4 Neo. The standerd PS4 is still smaller than the XBone S.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5