By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

This week at E3 Microsoft officially confirmed they are working on a more powerful Xbox One currently called Project Scorpio. This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps thanks to its 6 TFLOPs GPU. For those who don’t know much about GPU horsepower, that’s roughly equivalent to the highest end PC graphics cards available at the moment (think a Nvidia 980 or 1080).

Sony has been working on a more powerful PS4 codenamed “Neo”. However, this new PS4 likely won’t be able to pull off full native 4K gaming due to the current rumor that the system won’t come close to 6 TFLOPs (current rumor is about 4 TFLOPs). In an interview with Time, it appears that Sony is aware of this and Sony’s Shawn Layden tries to deflect the narrative away from console power:

“Is that going to be the end-all, be-all of the gaming experience? No,” he said. “I think more than anything else today, we’re seeing the power of narrative move the gaming business forward more than ever before.”

This is pretty hilarious as over the past three years all gamers have heard is how much more powerful the PlayStation 4 is over the Xbox One. Now that the tables have turned, and Microsoft has a Xbox One that will be more powerful than the new PS4, Sony is talking more about game narrative than hardware power.

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/06/sony-tries-downplay-microsofts-project-scorpio-hardware-power/

http://search.time.com/?q=Layden&site=time

Around the Network

Im guessing Sony will beef it up, MS showed their hand too early.

Rightfully so

It's pointless to discuss what's gonna be more powerful at this point. The Neo will be outperformed by the Scorpio and the Scorpio will be outperformed by the Neo S and the Neo S will be outperformed by the Scorpio Plus and so on

good game choice as tagged game though^^

The tabels have turned ?? lol xD

Around the Network

"This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps"

Well that's certainly optimistic.

LurkerJ said:
Rightfully so

It's pointless to discuss what's gonna be more powerful at this point. The Neo will be outperformed by the Scorpio and the Scorpio will be outperformed by the Neo S and the Neo S will be outperformed by the Scorpio Plus and so on

The problem is, you gotta subsidize some your consoles for the first couple of years to make it affordable to the mass.

Firms cannot go on a rampage like that.

Is that it... Oooookay!

The Scorpio will likely be the most powerful upcoming released console, but in the end by how much?

Sony makes great hardware and I wouldn't be surprised if the Neo performance is comparable. Even if it is weaker, brand supporters and the game library will still have an advantage in many peoples eyes.

I have an Xbox One and even though the PS4 is more powerful I have loved my Xbox One and the games library.

I am currently leaning towards picking up a Scorpio but if the performance is marginal, it might not make such a huge difference in buyer opinions regardless.

think-man said:
Im guessing Sony will beef it up, MS showed their hand too early.

It will cost them money considering that there are already dev kits out there.