By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

Zekkyou said:
Goatseye said:

In recent years the industry has shown us that the hardware advantages are marginal. You have to get Digital Foundry on the case to whip out their tech to micoscopically analize most cases of performances. Even 1st party games didn't dissipate much doubts. 

But here is a clip of the type of PR in the beggining:

-snip-

And here's a Watch Dog claim of 1080p 60fps, that later they had to retract:

"The world of Watch_Dogs comes alive on PS4 with the best graphics on any console and exclusive missions found only on PlayStation," reads the description. "Hack everything as you make your way through Chicago's underground as you experience Watch_Dogs in a way that only PS4 can provide, at 60 Frames Per Second in 1080p."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch_dogs/news/watch_dogs_runs_at_1080p_60fps_on_ps4_says_sony.html

I didn't say it never happens, just that it was rare (especially in recent years). Their PR focus has always been their games and services, those of their partners, and the PS4's success.

As for the relevancy of the PS4's hardware advantage, that's somewhat subjective. To some it was significant, to others it wasn't. The same will hold true for the Neo and Scorpio. If their launch versions represent the same gap we see here (which would give the Scorpio a similar advantage size to what the PS4 currently has), then MS will be betting on the Scorpio appealing to those who do finds such differences significant. I don't imagine MS would risk a high price for benefits that need to be "microscopically analyzed", as you put it.

Let's hope they just show it with games instead of PR hype. 

Around the Network

Clickbait. He didn't try and downplay anything. I doubt Sony cares about a console that's nothing more than words on paper and is more than a year away. By the time it launches PS4's installed base will be too high for hardware power to matter. PS4 is selling now and neo this holiday.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Sony's engineers are too busy trying to figure out how to use this Twitter thing they see reporters quoting Phil from daily to worry about making the Neo more powerful.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I'm surprised mods let this clickbait title.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Xbox One went from being weaker to having no exclusives. I think Sony is justified in their confidence in competing against Xbox.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Aerys said:
I'm surprised mods let this clickbait title.

The more I see it, the more I agree with you.

On one hand it is the title of an article. On another hand it is from a website where if you call someone one of those words you get banned.

Well then mods should have locked this one and waited for someone to make a thread about this comment from an objective source.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

crissindahouse said:
good game choice as tagged game though^^

I couldn't have agreed more xD

There's a big problem with the Scorpio that Xbox fans probably don't want to admit. It is basically the end of Xbox HW. Mark my words, the Scorpio will be mostly sold as a Windows 10 box by Holiday 2017. MS is going to try and go up against Steam and the Steam boxes, hence why all XBO games will be launching on PC. If it fails, you will be most likely saying goodbye to MS in the console biz.

And really, I can't tell who the Scorpio is for. Why spend $499 (my guess on the price) on an entire system that no longer has exclusives, when you can spend $199 and get a 5.5 Tflops GPU for your PC and play any MS Studios game you want? As for the Neo, I'm sure Sony is going to get it to 5 Tflops-5.5 Tflops. It will also be the best place to play all of the PS4's many exclusives. So, I can see that actually having a market, while Xbox's fortunes will not be turned around.

How do Tflops become this end all be all thing? fucking buzzwords

Aerys said:
Bandorr said:

The more I see it, the more I agree with you.

On one hand it is the title of an article. On another hand it is from a website where if you call someone one of those words you get banned.

Well then mods should have locked this one and waited for someone to make a thread about this comment from an objective source.

It must be hard to be a Vgchartz's mode in the week of the E3,  Today they already closed a lot of Joke/Troll threads.