By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

Scorpio will make your games look even better than Neo will if all the specs are legit. Even 1080p games.

Personally I am more interested in improved mechanics and frame rate more power should bring.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Yes, engines that scale up and down well can do wonders, and games with large budgets can also have different sets of textures optimised for different resolutions, maybe even more detailed models, with more polygons. In the worst case, higher res and more powerful versions of effects that can be applied without explicit implementetion in the game, like AA, can still make a game look better, without jaggies, with crisper but smoother edges, and so on, in this case though the improvement from SD to full HD is hugely more noticeable than from full HD to 4k.
To put it short, no doom and gloom, sure, but also no heaven granted without some additional efforts, and even more efforts required to get the most from the powerful model while keeping the same game compatible with the base one too. Probably for the most ambitious games the best solution to offer the best, but save some money, will be to develop for the high-end model and downscale for the base one.

...You are missing the point completly...
They ALREADY "downscale" games to match the consoles, there will simply be less/zero downscaling on Neo/Scorpio.

Look at the Multiplatform comparisons where they compare PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4, the PC always has a few extra graphics effects, heck even a light-weight game like Overwatch has more refinement on PC.

Yes this happens for games developed on PC first, then ported to console, and the high-end console version will be great with little or no additional efforts. When the first version is initially taylored on consoles, instead, PC usuallly receives at launch minor improvements by upscaling and applying higher levels of AA and some other FX, but if the game has a well scalable engine and easily enough moddable game data structure, it can receive major improvements later, both official and fan-made. In this case the pumped-up versions of consoles will allow to start from a higher level also on console-first multiplat games, but this will require higher resources compared to previous console-first games that were developed for less powerful reference HW. Costs shouldn't get out of control, anyway, as even in Scorpio case we're talking about medium-high HW power, but already reached and exceeded by high-end gaming PCs.
Last, but not least, surely this mid-gen upgrade will be better for devs than a gen lasting shorter and an all new gen launch, as the additional effort to keep up with higher HW power will be recouped faster, thanks to the user base already large and not having to start again from zero, and the architecture already well known, not a new one, but just the same upgraded.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Pemalite said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
I know price isn't the reason. Convenience is. You put a game in and it works. At worst you might need to download an update. On PC you might need to rollback video drivers or some other tedious process.

Building your own PC not only saves you easily hundreds of dollars but you get a much more powerful PC.

Rollback drivers? Really? I'm running.. Yep Drivers that are 6+ months old without any dramas. Never had a crash or a blue screen.

My PC tends to be less hassle than my Xbox One to be honest, where it constantly needs updates for everything, some games have erratic performance.
Allot of games these days tend to be buggy/non-functional on launch, where on PC you can usually work around it.

Convenience isn't really an argument anymore, hasn't been since Windows 7 and Steam became the standard and this Generation of consoles launched, adopting many PC "features".

I refuse to believe that Windows 10 gives you less problems than your Xbox One. Unless you're one of the luckiest person alive. Plus, I checked - 2 updates for the PS4 since February, 5 for Windows 10.

Lawlight said:
Pemalite said:

Rollback drivers? Really? I'm running.. Yep Drivers that are 6+ months old without any dramas. Never had a crash or a blue screen.

My PC tends to be less hassle than my Xbox One to be honest, where it constantly needs updates for everything, some games have erratic performance.
Allot of games these days tend to be buggy/non-functional on launch, where on PC you can usually work around it.

Convenience isn't really an argument anymore, hasn't been since Windows 7 and Steam became the standard and this Generation of consoles launched, adopting many PC "features".

I refuse to believe that Windows 10 gives you less problems than your Xbox One. Unless you're one of the luckiest person alive. Plus, I checked - 2 updates for the PS4 since February, 5 for Windows 10.

I'm not running Windows 10 on my main PC, still Windows 7. - Even if I was, Automatic Updates would be the first thing to go, big assumption you made there.
Ironically my system hasn't even had a restart in 63 days, there are updates pending since forever, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Often because my machine hosts game servers, it will not be restarted for months at a time, usually only for hardware changes.

The Xbox One typically has updates on an almost monthly or twice a month cadence, mostly bug fixes and the like, with the big updates being less frequent, I would assume the PS4 is the same in that regard... However that only tells part of the story, the updates for games seem to be more frequent AND larger on console.
And I can't speak for the Playstation 4... But the only way you can play a game on the Xbox One after a game checks and discovers updates is to put the machine into an offline mode, which frankly... Is a perpetual pain in my posterior, on PC you can just ignore the update and not stuff around.

And the biggest pet peeve is how crap the consoles list games, the Playstation 4 and Xbox One have no categorization or sorting and are extremely inefficient, not so much of a problem if you have a couple of games... But I have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. The scrolling is real. - It's impressive if I have company over though, I guess.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--