By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

Teeqoz said:
"This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps"

Well that's certainly optimistic.

If it's Polaris based that's not happening. And if it's Nvidia based, it's going to be supremely expensive. GTX 1080 can just do that on most games.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
Goatseye said:

This week at E3 Microsoft officially confirmed they are working on a more powerful Xbox One currently called Project Scorpio. This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps thanks to its 6 TFLOPs GPU. For those who don’t know much about GPU horsepower, that’s roughly equivalent to the highest end PC graphics cards available at the moment (think a Nvidia 980 or 1080).

Sony has been working on a more powerful PS4 codenamed “Neo”. However, this new PS4 likely won’t be able to pull off full native 4K gaming due to the current rumor that the system won’t come close to 6 TFLOPs (current rumor is about 4 TFLOPs). In an interview with Time, it appears that Sony is aware of this and Sony’s Shawn Layden tries to deflect the narrative away from console power:

“Is that going to be the end-all, be-all of the gaming experience? No,” he said. “I think more than anything else today, we’re seeing the power of narrative move the gaming business forward more than ever before.”

This is pretty hilarious as over the past three years all gamers have heard is how much more powerful the PlayStation 4 is over the Xbox One. Now that the tables have turned, and Microsoft has a Xbox One that will be more powerful than the new PS4, Sony is talking more about game narrative than hardware power.

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/06/sony-tries-downplay-microsofts-project-scorpio-hardware-power/

http://search.time.com/?q=Layden&site=time

You're talking about a system which will (without delays) launch in 18 months time with a promise of solid 4k gaming, remember the X360/PS3 were also meant to be solid 1080p gaming machines right, The HDTwins!. just saying don't base which of 2 things (one yet to be unveiled) will be better until you actually see both systems or moreso until digital foundry does.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Goatseye said:

This week at E3 Microsoft officially confirmed they are working on a more powerful Xbox One currently called Project Scorpio. This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps thanks to its 6 TFLOPs GPU. For those who don’t know much about GPU horsepower, that’s roughly equivalent to the highest end PC graphics cards available at the moment (think a Nvidia 980 or 1080).

Sony has been working on a more powerful PS4 codenamed “Neo”. However, this new PS4 likely won’t be able to pull off full native 4K gaming due to the current rumor that the system won’t come close to 6 TFLOPs (current rumor is about 4 TFLOPs). In an interview with Time, it appears that Sony is aware of this and Sony’s Shawn Layden tries to deflect the narrative away from console power:

“Is that going to be the end-all, be-all of the gaming experience? No,” he said. “I think more than anything else today, we’re seeing the power of narrative move the gaming business forward more than ever before.”

This is pretty hilarious as over the past three years all gamers have heard is how much more powerful the PlayStation 4 is over the Xbox One. Now that the tables have turned, and Microsoft has a Xbox One that will be more powerful than the new PS4, Sony is talking more about game narrative than hardware power.

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/06/sony-tries-downplay-microsofts-project-scorpio-hardware-power/

http://search.time.com/?q=Layden&site=time

I think they have it wrong. Gamers have been talking about PS4 being more powerful than Xb one not Sony. I may be forgetting, but as far as I know Sony hasn't used PS4's greater power as PR or part of its marketing. IIRC most of the early talk about power was from MS trying to use all sorts of secret sauce stuff to claim that Xb one is more powerful or as powerful as PS4. When gaming media talked to Sony reps about PS4 being more powerful of course they would agree that this is the case, but the Sony reps didn't proactively bring it into conversations.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Has sony been saying "this multiplat looks better on playstation" ?

Isnt that just digital foundry?
Anyways I believe price & games library is a much more important issue than performance.

I know designing games for consoles is all about optimization and hardware in a console will usually see a game perform better than the same hardware in a PC, but I still need to see this native 4k running smoothly before I believe it.

Around the Network

This is going to be the start of fractured but whole console launches with new consoles coming out to out do one another every 3 years.

Many gamers will do what they do with phones, buy one, skip the next.

I think that you is overreacting with this Statement, Microsoft is the one who use power to market their console, They used an API as a market tool (and a lot of people was excited about it) i would never expect that from someone who make console.

We still don't know how powerful the NX is, we still don't know how powerful the Neo is, and we still don't know the price for any of those products.

I don't like Microsoft's PR "The most powerful console ever" if you have only 2 other consoles in the market and you plan to launch something new of course you will be the more powerful if you manage to release a console before the competition.

Not surprising. Microsoft harped on other things when the Internet's was burning with talk abou Xbone not doing 1080p.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Teeqoz said:
"This Xbox One will allow full native 4K gaming at 60fps"

Well that's certainly optimistic.

If it's Polaris based that's not happening. And if it's Nvidia based, it's going to be supremely expensive. GTX 1080 can just do that on most games.

Yeah, this smells just like the 7th gen 1080p talk. Yes Scorpio can do 4k 60fps games, but they will have pretty simple graphics. Even 4K 30fps won't be standard.

We're getting 900p and below games on current 8th gen hardware, and most of the time games are running at 30fps. 900p is 1.44 million pixels, 4K is 9.437 million pixels. That's a 6.5* increase. And on top of that people think Scorpio will push that out at 60fps? When 6 teraflops is only 4.5* Xb one's 1.31 Teraflops.

We'll see as many 4k 60fps games on Scorpio as we do 1080p 60fps games on Xb one, and as many 4K 30fps games on Scorpio as we do 1080p 30fps games on Xb one.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

That's quite the sensationalist article you quoted.

Anyway, it's not like Microsoft can say anything about it, right?  Not after Spencer said pretty much the same thing at the start of the generation.

When I asked him about the GPU differential and consequence on long-term performance for Xbox One in an emailed follow-up to our interview, he wrote:

"The Xbox One architecture is much more complex than any specific feature or component. The proof is ultimately in what gamers see and experience, and with the diversity and quality of games we have at launch—games like Ryse: Son of Rome and Forza Motorsport 5—we are delivering experiences that demonstrate the power capable only on Xbox One."  http://kotaku.com/whats-next-for-the-xbox-one-1471212785?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow