By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe gender is a spectrum? Can it be fluid?

Is gender a spectrum? Can it be fluid?

It is a spectrum. It can be fluid. 7 16.28%

It isn't a spectrum. It can't be fluid. 28 65.12%

It is a spectrum. It can't be fluid. 5 11.63%

It isn't a spectrum. It can be fluid. 3 6.98%

Total:43

So trangenderism has a decent bit of science to back it up (if you don't agree -- this isn't the thread for that.) I haven't seen much science to back up the concept of gender being a spectrum though, nor that there is such a thing as gender fluidity. What do you guys think about this topic? Is there such a thing as genders in between (or orthogonal to?) man and woman? If so, what makes you believe that? Additionally, can gender be fluid (one day you feel male and the next day you feel female, or whatever in between?) Again, please post what makes you convinced of that scientifically rather than anecdotes. Thank you! 

Around the Network

I believe there is a spectrum, but I'm not sold on the "I prefer these specific pronouns today" kind of stuff.

Eh, as someone who is deeply invested into psychology; where a lot of this "fluid" and a billion other terms that exist come from, I don't really believe it's a real thing. Technically speaking everyone would be "gender fluid" and it in itself is a relative term that varies from person to person. For example shopping for a man could be considered female and he may consider himself feminine for that period of time or remainder of the day as a result or vice versa with whatever equivalency that exists -but to another man/woman that task could be considered a gender empowering or just normal thing. Honestly it just feels like a label for the sake of looking for different sexualities/debates about gender. But idk, personally "gender fluid" has too many variables and relativity to be a real thing to me. It may say something about how that person perceives gender stereotypes and probably takes those stereotypes too far, but thats about it

Nope, just random tumblr crap.

For me personally, no, I've always been pretty much the typical guy and identified pretty much solely with male things.

That said we are all female early in the embryo phase, it's only with hormones that some fetuses become male, if I'm remembering my high school bio class correctly.

So I dunno. For others maybe there can be a "malfunction" as it were that makes some people strongly identify with the opposite gender.

If people who feel they are the wrong gender were truly mentally ill they should have problems processing other parts of reality, as virtually all mentally ill people do (ie: they generally don't just believe one delusional thing, it's usually like 20-30+ with new strange thoughts evolving all the time) but that doesn't seem to be the case with transgender people, so I don't believe it's a mental disease or anything like that.

If we say "well nature intended it to be that, so too bad" ... have you studied nature? Nature is a gender bending sex freak, where some species can change their sex in the wild even, others have sex where the female ends up eating the head of the male, and homosexuality in the animal kingdom is commonplace.

I don't know if it's impossible to think that some of these concepts might be more fluid than our uptight society might admit to.

Around the Network

I think it's somewhat like a spectrum. I'm not gender fluid or transgender myself, so I can't really understand them as well. I'm not saying they're wrong to identify as something that isn't their assigned sex, but personally I can't relate, so I don't get it. I'm not sure how someone of the male sex could feel that they identify more with cisgender girls than cisgender boys, when it's impossible for them to know what it's like to be a cis girl (and vise versa). And even if you do identify more with the traits of girls (which would make you feel like a girl?), I would think that you could be 100% a man, mentally and physically, just with a personality more comparable to women (generally). I would assume that mentality doesn't necessarily defines someone's gender, because what's expected of males and females can change, so it's possible that a male (sex-wise) who doesn't feel comfortable as a male in 2016 would be 100% comfortable as a male if they lived in 2116. But I'm not stating anything I'm saying as fact, or even my opinion. It's my though process through it, which could be extremely illogical for all I know.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

StarOcean said:
Eh, as someone who is deeply invested into psychology; where a lot of this "fluid" and a billion other terms that exist come from, I don't really believe it's a real thing. Technically speaking everyone would be "gender fluid" and it in itself is a relative term that varies from person to person. For example shopping for a man could be considered female and he may consider himself feminine for that period of time or remainder of the day as a result or vice versa with whatever equivalency that exists -but to another man/woman that task could be considered a gender empowering or just normal thing. Honestly it just feels like a label for the sake of looking for different sexualities/debates about gender. But idk, personally "gender fluid" has too many variables and relativity to be a real thing to me. It may say something about how that person perceives gender stereotypes and probably takes those stereotypes too far, but thats about it

Basically this.Taking out the times that people actually are born with two sexual organs(or the mix of it), these terms that are used to describe actions and/or behaviors are just there to explain better a certain situation for conversation or study purposes.In reality, you dont "change" gender, or act like the oposite gender for a period of time, just because that said activity is more related to a especific sex.Its the same as all type of fears, behaviors or sexual preferences have names or terms to it.(for example:if you have fear of spiders you suffer of arachnofobia.But thats not a disease, since it dosent impede you from living your life.Its just a slice of your personality.).We have those infinite terms for any situation because there is not a normal, since being "normal" is determined by what the society chooses it to be.For you to be a "man", for example, you need to at least do stuff a way, and the same goes for females.But that is only accepted because society accepts as such.If things were different, lets say if by chance woman were stronger physically than men by nature, the definition of normal for each one would certainly be different.

Making it short:No.Its just a term to study human behavior more easily.At least, thats how i see it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Unless all men are considerd equally manly, and all women are considered equally womanly, and all people in between are ignored, it's obviously a spectrum. And if it's a spectrum, I don't see why it couldn't be fluid too. Most people probably don't move much along the spectrum during their lives, but some do, and I bet most move at least a bit.

Personally I'm not sure gender is even a very useful concept. Sex is more useful because in most cases it's easy to determine, but even it a spectrum (where most people just end up on the opposing ends). But gender... How do you even define it? How do you determine a person's gender?

The idea of a gender is a discrete type of classification ...

Physically speaking in the vast majority of human cases you come with a male sex organ or a female sex organ so there's hardly any corner cases to be had ...

For those reasons above I do not believe that there exists a spectrum of sexuality identity nor do I believe it to be fluid either ...

Behaviour is another different matter ...

In extremely rare cases, yes. It's pretty uncommon though after puberty in mentally and physically healthy people.