By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still loves a good RTS, city builder, grand strategy or 4X game, Arpgs?

I as a...

80's gamer, still play strategy. 21 19.27%

90's gamer, still play strategy. 56 51.38%

Post millennial gamer, play strategy. 14 12.84%

Post millennial, WTF are these genres. 0 0%

Pre mellennial, used to but not anymore. 7 6.42%

Pre millennial, Never liked these genre's. 1 0.92%

Timeless gamer, I live in... 10 9.17%

Total:109

AoE III, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3

Around the Network
Majora said:
I loved Pharaoh. What an amazing game that was! Took my life haha

Loved it too. Got it a freebee from a PC mag and was thinking it was going to be trash. How wrong I was.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Anyone here besides myself going to be checking Planet Coaster once it's finished?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

John2290 said:

I hadn't heard of it but thanks for the nod, will check out. I'm glad I made this thread, I'm lining up my next few games and I found out black and white and a really successful sequel I should have known about or foolisly ignored and Sore is still the biggest load of nonsense it ever was. Will check out Planet coaster, looks good.

lol np, I've actually got a thread that I try to keep updated on Planet Coaster, like I said to some other folk on here some time ago that said threads die or lay forgotten due to the difference in community activity on here. 

If you're into an RTS like Supreme COmmander then Planetary Annihilation is good (also it's expansion Titans).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

There really are nice suggestions in this thread, thanks John for creating it! 

Any of you have experience with Ultimate General: Gettysburg?
Doesn't look half bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_b2xJ_t-VU

And if anyone hasn't played Defender of the Crown, you have to go now and try out this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ArHF1qi_0

If you like that, also look at Centurion: Defender of Rome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpn2lSw-GbM

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Jumpin said:

Grand strategy is bigger now than ever before. Crusader Kings 2.

Yeah, but Paradox are oversarurating there own genre in which not would be core enough to buy new titles every year, it is not a genre that can have any sustained growth, only cycles of growth and decline.

I don't quite comprehend your post. Sorry, English is not my first language.

Are you saying that Crusader Kings 2 is not the most popular game in the history of the genre?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

LivingMetal said:
Does anyone remember Myth made by Bungie? Very underrated. It was a true 3d RTS with limited troops. And I did say 'Myth" NOT "Myst."
John2290 said:
Random thought. Does anyone know of an RTS with a campaign that perhaps doesn't follow the build, kill. buuild. kill. build again cycle an maybe combines all levels into one massive map in which you can use the units and bases you have built in one massive Total war style army or use them in a grand strategy type over map? Or at the very least carries units through levels, I tire of rebuilding my units since I'm so over zealous and build friggin armies I dont need that somehow find it okay to go AWOL after their first battle. Ungreatful, swellword pricks.                                     

Maybe you should try Myth. No building and you carry your surviving units through levels.

Chazore said:
Anyone here besides myself going to be checking Planet Coaster once it's finished?.

You should know that I will, just not at launch

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I really like strategy games. Love the C&C series... but EA gutted it. Both red alerts and tiberium games pre-EA were great. Then came EA, made C&C3 without inventing and then proceeded to try and re-invent a winning formula, destroying the series in the process.

RA3 had so much potencial if it weren't "locked" behind a mandatory co-op and highly scripted campaign.

I stil yearn for good C&C. Especially red alert.

Anyways, i got the whole collection on C&C, the whole collection of Ag of empires, mythology and rise of nations. I really enjoy Civ aswell. Yeah... sad what they did to the genre, because the audience is still there as Starcraft shows. Oh and the Dune RTS series was great aswell!

JEMC said:
Chazore said:

You should know that I will, just not at launch

Likely a week or two after launch for me =P.

Nem said:
I really like strategy games. Love the C&C series... but EA gutted it. Both red alerts and tiberium games pre-EA were great. Then came EA, made C&C3 without inventing and then proceeded to try and re-invent a winning formula, destroying the series in the process.

RA3 had so much potencial if it weren't "locked" behind a mandatory co-op and highly scripted campaign.

I stil yearn for good C&C. Especially red alert.

Anyways, i got the whole collection on C&C, the whole collection of Ag of empires, mythology and rise of nations. I really enjoy Civ aswell. Yeah... sad what they did to the genre, because the audience is still there as Starcraft shows. Oh and the Dune RTS series was great aswell!

It's a damn shame as well, especially since 2 years ago EA snuffed out what would have been C&C Generals 2 on a modified Frostbite engine, they spent at least 3 years working on it with a new studio combined with another one and both were dissolved along with Generals 2, a complete waste of 3 years and talent.

I actually don't mind C&C 3, Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3 but C&C 4 left a bad taste in my mouth. Grabbed Red Alert 2+Yuris revenge for free on Origin last year and I've been on and off playing it since, good times, same with Age of Empires 2 and 3. Also got around to playing Legacy of the Void expansion for SC II since I want to get in on those Nova missions, I;m actually hoping for Blizz to announce a new Warcraft RTS or at elast revamp the older titles and bring them back.