By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still loves a good RTS, city builder, grand strategy or 4X game, Arpgs?

I as a...

80's gamer, still play strategy. 21 19.27%

90's gamer, still play strategy. 56 51.38%

Post millennial gamer, play strategy. 14 12.84%

Post millennial, WTF are these genres. 0 0%

Pre mellennial, used to but not anymore. 7 6.42%

Pre millennial, Never liked these genre's. 1 0.92%

Timeless gamer, I live in... 10 9.17%

Total:109
JEMC said:
Jranation said:

Eh what!?!?! I thought they only close 1 studio in a certain country? 

They shoot down the team responsible of SimCity and Spore (not that I care about this last one).

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

Maybe we'll get more The Sims, but 4 launched quite a while ago, didn't it?

Oh I see! 

Not really familliar with how things works in the gaming industry.

But I guess thats alright. Simcity is really good now (with offline and the system in the city are functioning well ---> Last time I played) But its just the size of the map that is frustrating. But Maybe that is part of a challenge to focus on a specific thing for your city. 

And Yes S4 did launch quite recent. But Just like Sims 3 and the past series, expect a lot of DLC (Stuff pack, Expansion Pack) coming until Sims 5. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
JEMC said:

They shoot down the team responsible of SimCity and Spore (not that I care about this last one).

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

Maybe we'll get more The Sims, but 4 launched quite a while ago, didn't it?

Oh I see! 

Not really familliar with how things works in the gaming industry.

But I guess thats alright. Simcity is really good now (with offline and the system in the city are functioning well ---> Last time I played) But its just the size of the map that is frustrating. But Maybe that is part of a challenge to focus on a specific thing for your city. 

And Yes S4 did launch quite recent. But Just like Sims 3 and the past series, expect a lot of DLC (Stuff pack, Expansion Pack) coming until Sims 5. 

I don't know if you have it already, but if you want a game that's like a mix of SimCity 4 with the last SimCity, check out Cities: Skylines. It's a very good game, with some very interesting ideas.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

played tons of them back in the days but now not so much anymore.

Some Civilization here and there, Sim City, Anno and a bit of Age of Empires.

TomaTito said:

EA has bought and killed so many promising developers. Ones that stand out for me are the sim/strategy ones:

• Maxis (SimCity) - bought 1997; closed 2015.
  • Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - bought 2006; closed 2014.
  • PlayFish (The Sims Social) - bought 2009; closed 2013.
  • Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - bought 2006; closed 2013.
  • Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - bought 2002; closed 2013.
  • DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - bought 2000; closed 2013.
  • Pandemic (The Saboteur) - bought 2008; closed 2009.
  • NuFX (NBA Street) - bought 2004; closed 2007.
  • Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - bought 1992; closed 2004.
  • Westwood (Command & Conquer) - bought 1998; closed 2003.
  • Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - bought 1995; closed 2001.

Source: http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614

Bullfrog, Westwood, even Maxis which was a big part of the company.

Also EA LA was the other half of Westwood that stayed with EA and were closed down once C&C 4 ended up bombing, then EA created Victory studio to work on C&C Generals 2 for a few eyars and eventually merged it with another form of Bioware (not the same one that works on ME) to call them Bioware Victory, needless to say they were also closed down 2 years into Generals 2 development. EA so far has killed quite a few studios and IP's over the years which is a shame because it also shows how out of touch they are with the industry that they would rather destroy and dismantle than learn and construct. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"