By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still loves a good RTS, city builder, grand strategy or 4X game, Arpgs?

I as a...

80's gamer, still play strategy. 21 19.27%

90's gamer, still play strategy. 56 51.38%

Post millennial gamer, play strategy. 14 12.84%

Post millennial, WTF are these genres. 0 0%

Pre mellennial, used to but not anymore. 7 6.42%

Pre millennial, Never liked these genre's. 1 0.92%

Timeless gamer, I live in... 10 9.17%

Total:109

If my internet connection was better, I would play more frequently to AoE II. I used to play with the original game a lot, and recently bought the Steam edition (for the multiplayer, but still have to get the extra expansions). The same with Mythology, but I don't have the Steam version yet. I never was that fan of city builders, but I played a lot of Zoo Tycoon in the past, if that counts.

My list of games (that I can remember).

-Age of Empires I + expansions

-Age of Empires II + expansions (not the new ones on Steam)

-Age of Empires III + expansions

-Age of Mythology + expansions (not the new ones on Steam)

-Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds + expansions

-Cossacks Napoleonic Wars

-Impossible Creatures

-Empire Earth I + expansions

-Submarine Titans (I still don't know a living person that has played this game other than me)

-Imperium II

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I'm 18 and grew up with strategy games. They're the best. I also LOVE city builder games and I wish EA had made a Sim City U because with the GamePad and everything it would have been so good.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

I'm 20 and was playing the original Age of Empires, I'm sure there's many younger than me that were playing Age of Kings, Empires Dawn of the Modern World or other classic strategy games growing up. Anyway list of strategy games that are amazing!

Age of Empires 1/2
Empire Earth
Empires Dawn of the Modern World
Homeworld 1/2
Civilization V
Endless Space
Sins of a Solar Empire
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Cossacks Back to War
American Conquest Fight Back
Rise of Nations
Anno Series (not 2205)
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2
Zoo Tycoon
Theme Park World
Theme Hospital
SimCity 3k,4k
Stronghold 1/Crusader/2
The Settlers 2/10th Anniversary
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War
Company of Heroes Tales of Valor

It's a shame there's not been many good traditional RTS games recently, though Cossacks 3 is coming out this year maybe that will be decent unlike the second one.

Barkley said:
I'm 20 and was playing the original Age of Empires, I'm sure there's many younger than me that were playing Age of Kings, Empires Dawn of the Modern World or other classic strategy games growing up. Anyway list of strategy games that are amazing!

Age of Empires 1/2
Empire Earth
Empires Dawn of the Modern World
Homeworld 1/2
Civilization V
Endless Space
Sins of a Solar Empire
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Cossacks Back to War
American Conquest Fight Back
Rise of Nations
Anno Series (not 2205)
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2
Zoo Tycoon
Theme Park World
Theme Hospital
SimCity 3k,4k
Stronghold 1/Crusader/2
The Settlers 2/10th Anniversary
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War
Company of Heroes Tales of Valor

It's a shame there's not been many good traditional RTS games recently, though Cossacks 3 is coming out this year maybe that will be decent unlike the second one.

There is a new Cossacks game coming up? I haven't played the series since Napoleonic Wars, does ot look good?

Fond memories with command & conquer and its various sequels or spin offs, and the advanced war franchise 😋

Around the Network

Civ 5, Europa Universalis 4 and Victoria 2 are my three most played games, so yeah, I enjoy strategy games.

Darwinianevolution said:

There is a new Cossacks game coming up? I haven't played the series since Napoleonic Wars, does ot look good?

Well I thought Napoleonic Wars was a terrible game so our opinions might differ, the third one looks great imo though, it's based on the first cossacks game everything from the civilizations, to the appearance of buildings and the 7 player limit, hell it could be argued it's a remaster of the first game but I'm excited for it!

http://www.cossacks3.com/

Barkley said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Well I thought Napoleonic Wars was a terrible game so our opinions might differ, the third one looks great imo though, it's based on the first cossacks game everything from the civilizations, to the appearance of buildings and the 7 player limit, hell it could be argued it's a remaster of the first game but I'm excited for it!

http://www.cossacks3.com/

I loved Napoleonic Wars when I was a child, but yeah, it was really mediocre and it had an awful AI. I may pick this one up when it releases, will it be on Steam?

Darwinianevolution said:

I loved Napoleonic Wars when I was a child, but yeah, it was really mediocre and it had an awful AI. I may pick this one up when it releases, will it be on Steam?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

My issue with Napoleonic wars was just the gameplay mechanics, I like the traditional base building and economy and if I recall correctly Cossacks 2 was quite different when it came to that. I like starting with some peasants, building my mills and mines, building a barracks and then blowing things up.

I've mainly been playing small downloadable games on PC for the last decade. Been thinking of picking up PC strategy again, not sure if I missed any strategy gems since then, but I enjoy good RTS and city builders (not much the RPGish ones). Things like DOTC, C&C series, WarcraftI/II, AOE1/2, Starcraft, Commandos series, Theme Park/World, Theme Hospital, SIM series (Tower, City, etc), CivII, B&W1/2, Constructor, Pharaoh, Oasis, Dicewars, Lux DLX, WarLight, etc...

Recently bought Company of Heroes 1 as discussed here, and the current humble bundle has Ultimate General: Gettysburg which looks interesting (need to research it further).

Saw few months back some nice developments on PC with Cities: Skylines and Stardew Valley.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"