By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still loves a good RTS, city builder, grand strategy or 4X game, Arpgs?

I as a...

80's gamer, still play strategy. 21 19.27%

90's gamer, still play strategy. 56 51.38%

Post millennial gamer, play strategy. 14 12.84%

Post millennial, WTF are these genres. 0 0%

Pre mellennial, used to but not anymore. 7 6.42%

Pre millennial, Never liked these genre's. 1 0.92%

Timeless gamer, I live in... 10 9.17%

Total:109

There are a few things in this world more beautiful than the family going down South to visit family without me leaving the entire weekend open to play Civ 5. Dear lord even when I wake the dog during those wonderful 'me time' moments I have a hop in my step.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

I've lost count of how many hours I spend playing strategy or city building games.

Age of Empires I & II

Supreme Commander

World in Conflict

Commandos 1, 2 & 3

Civilization V

SimCity 4

Anno

Sid Meier's Railroads

Patrician

Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2 (tho I didn't like 2)

The Movies

etc.

I never could get Railroads to play on my system without a memory leak error so I gave up. But damn it was fun. 

I like RTS', currently going through the new Homeworld, thinking of getting into Civilization V.

Cubedramirez said:
JEMC said:

Sid Meier's Railroads

I never could get Railroads to play on my system without a memory leak error so I gave up. But damn it was fun. 

Me neither, but between crashes the game is fun .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

John2290 said:

Civ5 is great but Endless legend is recommended. Whats Deserts of Karakh like?

It's quite smooth in controlling units, multiplayer tends to become action packed, I've found it's easier to get into than the previous games in the series.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
JEMC said:

Me neither, but between crashes the game is fun .

Have you considered what the photographers did to gold fish and that cat in your avatar? As an amatuer photographer, all I can see is the setup, all the eaten goldfish and the screeches of the cat and the possibly broken fish bowl/s..

*shocked*

I've always seen it as a photoshopped pic.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I'm the same way.
When I started gaming on PC in the late 80s, early 90s, I think the first game I played was Doom, aside from old shovelware like oregon trail, etc. Doom was the first big name game. Next, I found out about simcity 2000, and got really addicted to that, as well as civ 2. Then came Age of empires and command and conquer and xwing. Soon I was playing all the Lucasarts adventure point and clicks.
Then some place opened up in my area called cybersmith, which was a big lan company that had elite computers and sold hours 50 for 100$. They had all the newest games and best hardware. I would just go in and try out everything.
Eventually I stumbled upon Diablo, and then Starcraft, and the rest is history. I'm still a hardcore "management", "sim", "strategy" gamer.
What made me such a playstation fanboy though???
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Currently, I'm addicted to Dota 2, and on my phone, play almost nothing except the Kairosoft line of games, and chess.

Only RTS games I like are Civ games and Halo Wars.

I used to love sim games, haven't tried one in a while but I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it, not as much as I used to tho

I briefly played Populous back in the 80s, but I was pretty young and my computer wasn't nearly powerful enough. The original Warcraft and Settlers (called Serf City) were what got me started. I kind of went in the RTS direction, though. WC2, WC3, SC, Age of..., Kingdom Under Fire, etc. But Heroes of Might and Magic did pull me into the turn based strategy direction. I still love those games and consider them classics.

I do have Endless Legend and I should really just devote a weekend to it and learn how to play it.