By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still loves a good RTS, city builder, grand strategy or 4X game, Arpgs?

I as a...

80's gamer, still play strategy. 21 19.27%

90's gamer, still play strategy. 56 51.38%

Post millennial gamer, play strategy. 14 12.84%

Post millennial, WTF are these genres. 0 0%

Pre mellennial, used to but not anymore. 7 6.42%

Pre millennial, Never liked these genre's. 1 0.92%

Timeless gamer, I live in... 10 9.17%

Total:109

Played(and still occasionaly play) Starcraft 1 for 14 years.Warcraft 3 was another I played to a much lesser extent.Age of Empires, Command and Conquer are others that I remember.Yeah, RTS are great, but unfortunaly outside of SC 2 there is not much interest in the genre.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Cities: Skylines, Pillars of eternity, Divinity: OS.

Are all great... wouldnt call them strategy games though.

Used to love Warcraft,command and conquer, total war etc when I was younger. I still player Company of heroes as often as I can ( greatest RTS made imo)

I played them a lot in the 90's, nowadays I'm not interested in the build, destroy cycle anymore.

A good city builder can still be fun, although I spend way more time in the map editor than play cities in motion 2. Tropico got rather stale though, first 2 games were great, 3 great to be back with 49 hours play time with expansion and 4 was still good for another 50 hours. Tropico 5 however looked too much of the same.

I didn't care for the new sim city, online shenanigans and small maps. Civilization 5 was still fun for a couple plays, yet beyond Earth was only good for 1 play through, it didn't grab me. Bored of the destroy part. So I took up settlement building in Fallout 4 instead.

I had hoped rollercoaster tycoon world would be fun but it's looking like a disaster atm.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-06-how-bad-exactly-is-ataris-rollercoaster-tycoon-world

me, still fire Starcraft 64 or Age of Empires for PS2 here and there

Around the Network

RTS, or games in similar vein to it, have always been the bane of my existence as gamer. I don't really have nothing against them, but I sincerely suck at most of those, hence why I don't really like them very much. I was never able to beat all the campaigns of Warcraft 3 (only made the tutorial and the humans). Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (which is not a RTS, but still strategy) almost caused me a childhood trauma. And let's just not talk about games like Shogun, Starcraft, Total War or Civilization.

Still, there's a bunch of games I've managed to love throughout these years. Most notable:

· Company of Heroes. (Never beaten it though)

· Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. (Actually a very interesting game with a powerful setting and a nice plot to go with)

· Commandos 1, 2 and 3. (Brilliant gems that I've replayed countless times!)

· The Movies. (Not a RTS, but a tycoon game about the cinema industry. Another brilliant game if I may add!)

· Age of Empires 2. (Even if I sucked at it, I couldn't help but come back for more)

· Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. (I'm actually decent at this one! And I still play it from time to time)

John2290 said:
JRPGfan said:
Cities: Skylines, Pillars of eternity, Divinity: OS.

Are all great... wouldnt call them strategy games though.

Arpg's and City builders are also being discussed, read the OP.

"Who here still plays new titles such as Endless legend, Cities: Skylines, Civ5: bnw or Beyond earth, pillars of eternity, Divinity: OS, Grim Dawn or the other, now niche, titles? Spread your love of strategy.."

Thats why I wrote "those are all great, but wouldnt call them strategy games".

Like to me, Cities: Skylines is a sim game.

Pillars of Eternity & Divinity OS are RPGs.

John2290 said:
SvennoJ said:
I played them a lot in the 90's, nowadays I'm not interested in the build, destroy cycle anymore.

A good city builder can still be fun, although I spend way more time in the map editor than play cities in motion 2. Tropico got rather stale though, first 2 games were great, 3 great to be back with 49 hours play time with expansion and 4 was still good for another 50 hours. Tropico 5 however looked too much of the same.

I didn't care for the new sim city, online shenanigans and small maps. Civilization 5 was still fun for a couple plays, yet beyond Earth was only good for 1 play through, it didn't grab me. Bored of the destroy part. So I took up settlement building in Fallout 4 instead.

I had hoped rollercoaster tycoon world would be fun but it's looking like a disaster atm.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-06-how-bad-exactly-is-ataris-rollercoaster-tycoon-world

Wouldn't the elder scrolls 6 be great with the settlement building aspect expanded on and enhanced with bigger areas but less of them. I can just imagine building a Wood Elf city or creating a Cyradil like city from the ground up.

I would play it, might get a lot of backlash though. And scrounging for meterials might feel out of place, plus messing with the electric was part of the fun in F4. Minecraft without redstone wouldn't have kept my attention that long. Perhaps aquaducts and gas lines or magical contraptions can replace that. It could be kinda fun to build a realistic actually working aquaduct from the mountains to provide for a settlement. Damm the river for a channel to a water mill and connect machinery to it, like automated bellows for a blacksmith.  Hmm, yeah, lots of backlash when they spend too much time on that :/

I've lost count of how many hours I spend playing strategy or city building games.

Age of Empires I & II

Supreme Commander

World in Conflict

Commandos 1, 2 & 3

Civilization V

SimCity 4

Anno

Sid Meier's Railroads

Patrician

Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2 (tho I didn't like 2)

The Movies

etc.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Does anyone remember Myth made by Bungie? Very underrated. It was a true 3d RTS with limited troops. And I did say 'Myth" NOT "Myst."