By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here still loves a good RTS, city builder, grand strategy or 4X game, Arpgs?

I as a...

80's gamer, still play strategy. 21 19.27%

90's gamer, still play strategy. 56 51.38%

Post millennial gamer, play strategy. 14 12.84%

Post millennial, WTF are these genres. 0 0%

Pre mellennial, used to but not anymore. 7 6.42%

Pre millennial, Never liked these genre's. 1 0.92%

Timeless gamer, I live in... 10 9.17%

Total:109
John2290 said:
Nem said:
I really like strategy games. Love the C&C series... but EA gutted it. Both red alerts and tiberium games pre-EA were great. Then came EA, made C&C3 without inventing and then proceeded to try and re-invent a winning formula, destroying the series in the process.

RA3 had so much potencial if it weren't "locked" behind a mandatory co-op and highly scripted campaign.

I stil yearn for good C&C. Especially red alert.

Anyways, i got the whole collection on C&C, the whole collection of Ag of empires, mythology and rise of nations. I really enjoy Civ aswell. Yeah... sad what they did to the genre, because the audience is still there as Starcraft shows. Oh and the Dune RTS series was great aswell!

Do you know of a game from the 90's/early 00's in which you played as a helicopter unit, it was very much like red alert but with just air, helicopter units?

If it had an isometric view, it's probably the Strike series of games, like Desert Strike.

Btw, I loved those games on my MegaDrive/Genesis.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

used to enjoy Civ 2 and 3 a whole lot and a little bit of 4 and 5.
I guess i played enough to finally get bored with civ. Don't know much else in the genre. (*of course i played Dune and C&C back then as well)
Xcom on ps3 was fun.

The helicopter reminded me of Glory Days 1/2 on the GBA/DS, those were fun.

The only other 2D strategy game I've played recently on consoles is Swords&Soldiers.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I dont care what you all say about EA......

But THANK THE FUCK THAT THEY MADE SIMS AND SIMCITY!!!!

I love the sims series!!!!! Especially how there is nothing soooo close to it! Desining the characters, the house, interacting with the characters. One of the best series I have ever played! Hopefully that it will continue on because the concept itself can still go really far!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

John2290 said:
JEMC said:

If it had an isometric view, it's probably the Strike series of games, like Desert Strike.

Btw, I loved those games on my MegaDrive/Genesis.

Desert strike return to the gulf. Thats the one. Thanks bro, been looing for that for years. Hopefully I can get the DOS compatibility setup, this gonna fill me with nostalgia. :D 

You're welcome. I played a lot of Jungle Strike and Urban Strike back in the day.

Jranation said:

I love the sims series!!!!! Especially how there is nothing soooo close to it! Desining the characters, the house, interacting with the characters. One of the best series I have ever played! Hopefully that it will continue on because the concept itself can still go really far!

And yet, EA decided to close Maxis .

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

And I don't know if this counts.....

I also played a lot of Free PC and Smartphone games where you build your own town, city, restaurant, hotel, a camp. I wish there will be a game where they combine all of these into one huge game!

Like simcity but more in depth in each of those facilities. Well.... Only technology and time can tell!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

JEMC said:
John2290 said:

Desert strike return to the gulf. Thats the one. Thanks bro, been looing for that for years. Hopefully I can get the DOS compatibility setup, this gonna fill me with nostalgia. :D 

You're welcome. I played a lot of Jungle Strike and Urban Strike back in the day.

Jranation said:

Eh what!?!?! I thought they only close 1 studio in a certain country? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
JEMC said:

Eh what!?!?! I thought they only close 1 studio in a certain country? 

They shoot down the team responsible of SimCity and Spore (not that I care about this last one).

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

Maybe we'll get more The Sims, but 4 launched quite a while ago, didn't it?

Yes! I would play a good TBS or RTS before any other game ever!! Nothing even comes close!

EA has bought and killed so many promising developers. Ones that stand out for me are the sim/strategy ones:

• Maxis (SimCity) - bought 1997; closed 2015.
  • Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - bought 2006; closed 2014.
  • PlayFish (The Sims Social) - bought 2009; closed 2013.
  • Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - bought 2006; closed 2013.
  • Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - bought 2002; closed 2013.
  • DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - bought 2000; closed 2013.
  • Pandemic (The Saboteur) - bought 2008; closed 2009.
  • NuFX (NBA Street) - bought 2004; closed 2007.
  • Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - bought 1992; closed 2004.
  • Westwood (Command & Conquer) - bought 1998; closed 2003.
  • Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - bought 1995; closed 2001.

Source: http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614

Bullfrog, Westwood, even Maxis which was a big part of the company.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"