By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

LivingMetal said:
I still want both the 3DS and the WiiU. Hearing that the WiiU will end production still isn't enough for me to buy it before the 3DS. Hopefully there will be a fire sale on WiiUs.

I would rather get the wiiu over the 3DS, the hardcore retro collectors are allready smelling the blood of the wiiu. Its nintendos most unsuccesfull console, therefor it must be the best.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Yea but theres games, EXCLUSIVE games still coming out up until later this year. What are they going to do, axe it as soon as the last game comes out?...

What Paper Mario? Not sure thats going to set the WiiU sales on fire tbh...

Uhh, like FExSMT and Zelda? They might not exploded Wii U sales but they will still sell.

Ka-pi96 said:
dongo8 said:

Yes. Announced awhile ago, absolutely sure :)

http://n4g.com/news/1504686/nintendo-wii-u-no-longer-sold-at-a-loss#c-9203306

As I said, people incorrectly assumed they had...

Iwata's exact words were "However, since the loss arising due to the hardware production costs being higher than our trade price was taken into account in the previous fiscal year, you could assume that there will be almost no loss this fiscal year for the sales of the 3.60 million hardware units."
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/wii-u-no-longer-being-sold-at-a-loss

So those consoles were still sold at a loss, it was just allocated to the previous fiscal year.

Hmm, it seems to me that he means they over-produced the system in the first fiscal year, and didn't sell through. At that time, the system was losing them money when being produced. Anything sold after those 3.6 million that he referenced though sounds like it was no longer sold at a loss. So yes, I stand by my statement, it is no longer being sold at a loss because the production of everything has lowered in cost.

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge

dongo8 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

As I said, people incorrectly assumed they had...

Iwata's exact words were "However, since the loss arising due to the hardware production costs being higher than our trade price was taken into account in the previous fiscal year, you could assume that there will be almost no loss this fiscal year for the sales of the 3.60 million hardware units."
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/wii-u-no-longer-being-sold-at-a-loss

So those consoles were still sold at a loss, it was just allocated to the previous fiscal year.

Hmm, it seems to me that he means they over-produced the system in the first fiscal year, and didn't sell through. At that time, the system was losing them money when being produced. Anything sold after those 3.6 million that he referenced though sounds like it was no longer sold at a loss. So yes, I stand by my statement, it is no longer being sold at a loss because the production of everything has lowered in cost.

It only means that the 3.6M forecasted was not going to infer a loss in the fiscal year results because it was absorbed last year.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Ruler said:
KLXVER said:

They actually make perfect sense. Maybe not in the traditional way other console makers are doing it, but they are making money on each WiiU sold. Why lower the price and lose more money?

Because people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. Dont you think they would make even more money if more people would buy the consoles and the exclusives?

So you really think the WiiU would become popular from a 100$ price drop? I think Nintendo would lose more money.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
LivingMetal said:
I still want both the 3DS and the WiiU. Hearing that the WiiU will end production still isn't enough for me to buy it before the 3DS. Hopefully there will be a fire sale on WiiUs.

I would rather get the wiiu over the 3DS, the hardcore retro collectors are allready smelling the blood of the wiiu. Its nintendos most unsuccesfull console, therefor it must be the best.

Ahhh...  I like your logic.  But when it comes to the 3DS, it's games like Professor Layton, Shin Megami Tensei, Senran Kagura and the Etrian Odyssey that have my attention.  I'm sure I'm missing a few from that list, but I think those titles are more for the hardcore.

CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

And what does that have to do with anything?

A lot, considerng the situation of the Wii U possibly ceasing production and the NX on the horizon. Just like the Saturn to the Dreamcast.

Or just like Xbox to 360, but whatever continue to believe that amoubt of time on market has any bearing on the successor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If true, this was a short run.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

A lot, considerng the situation of the Wii U possibly ceasing production and the NX on the horizon. Just like the Saturn to the Dreamcast.

Or just like Xbox to 360, but whatever continue to believe that amoubt of time on market has any bearing on the successor.

Its not like Xbox to 360 at all, the Wii U's performance was mainly the fault of Nintendo while the Xbox's performance was mainly because of Sony.

Xbox was much more powerful then GC or PS2 as opposed to Wii U which came out with a lead, didn't do anything with it, and paid the cost of releasing early (aka weaker hardware)

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
zorg1000 said:

Its not like Xbox to 360 at all, the Wii U's performance was mainly the fault of Nintendo while the Xbox's performance was mainly because of Sony.

Xbox was much more powerful then GC or PS2 as opposed to Wii U which came out with a lead, didn't do anything with it, and paid the cost of releasing early (aka weaker hardware)

Completely irrelevent, my point is that the amount of time on the market does not determine how the successor does.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.