By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Ninty must be pretty confident in NX to do this. That's what makes this report hard to believe really. Ps4/One has already done the damage they are gonna do. Why rush out something that would be even further behind? They must really have the next Wiimote up their sleeves. Making a plat that can handle ports is suicide. It will sell no better than WiiU because 3rd parties will ignore it thanks to those markets already being satisfied. Leaving Ninty with an even more expensive dud, they will be left in the dust by future plats released in 2019.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Sure, but that's not the bar for success. If a backup plan still results in failure, then it isn't a good backup plan.

Isn't the Xbox One outpacing their predecessor in terms of sales? That's success, no?

As Rol has pointed out, it's working for the marketleader(Sony), not working so well for second(Xbox), and now I need to know what is left? Why will a 3rd port station sell better than WiiU? This is why Ninty dodges 3rd parties to begin with. They agree with me, there is no more for them. So they would be left with an even more expensive plat that still sells poorly. That's even worse than WiiU!

RolStoppable said:

Not really. Microsoft knows that the One isn't going to keep pace with the 360, hence why they have decided to refrain from announcing shipment numbers in their financial reports. You don't suddenly hide numbers when you are successful.

You hide the numbers because you don't want to admit you're doing worse than the compettiton, not because you might not beat the record previously set by your older product.

RolStoppable said:

Such an effort is futile when it's obvious which company is selling the most hardware. So it's not done because of that reason, but rather because a company doesn't want to know the public just how bad they are doing.

Or you could look at it from the angle that if a product is successful in its own right, then a company wouldn't mind sharing its numbers when it has done so in the past. No reason to change reporting methods when you are successful.

Furthermore, we have already seen signs that Microsoft is going to de-emphasize its Xbox business. Your previous post implied that Xbox is doing better than ever (One outpacing 360 at same point in lifecycle), but Microsoft's actions don't match such an assumption.

Lastly, you have a preference for playing devil's advocate, so I am quite sure that you understand that Xbox One isn't successful, but argue for argument's sake.

Microsoft's plans might have been more ambitious than simply outpacing 360 weekly and lifetime. Hence why it's a success, but not the one Microsoft wanted and thus look at it as a "failure". Which takes me to your second point. A successful product, which I asume would be something that's both profitable and popular, doesn't really have to drive the company behind to share the numbers to the public, just their investors. Now I don't really know if the Xbox One is profitable, but it's a popular product. Not as popular as their competitor, hence the point of hiding numbers: because people already know which one has the strongest legs by now.

Microsoft's actions don't necessarily follow a normal logic. The Xbox One is doing better than the 360 in the same timeframe, that much is confirmed. Whether Microsoft act in consequence or would rather do their own thing (which is what they always do, to be honest) doesn't really disprove the other fact.

I'm not playing Devil's Advocate. Well, I kind of do here, but it's not for the sake of being a Devil, but rather, test your statements by exposing them to different perspectives.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The Xbox One won't stay ahead of the 360. You should acknowledge that.

It won't, but that's not the reason to hide the numbers. Especially when everything points to this generation being shorter than the previous one.

RolStoppable said:

Then it's settled? Your reason for deeming the Xbox One a success was that it is slightly ahead of the 360 up to this point. It's gone now.

My point has always been that the reason to hide the numbers was the competitor beating them, not the console being unable to beat the record set by its predecessor. I also said that I don't know if the Xbox One is profitable, and whether Microsoft consider Xbox One's legs in comparison to 360's when acting in consequence or not is something we will never know, because MS pretty much do their own thing, regardless of common logic.

Ruler said:
ps4tw said:
Sounds about right. It's arguably the biggest console failure in recent time as it sold at a slower rate than the Dreamcast.

I doubt sega sold as much first party titles tough

Really doesn't matter - Nintendo will have lost a staggering amount on the console, and kicking it in the head now only makes sense.

Ka-pi96 said:
SpokenTruth said:

You do know they are profiting, right?

Are they though? They're back in profit now but didn't they have a couple years where they were making losses before that? Plus there's also the 3DS to consider. The Wii U's losses were so bad that overall the whole company made a loss despite the success of the 3DS.

Nintendo has had 2 years of losses, one of which was before Wii U even released.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Are they though? They're back in profit now but didn't they have a couple years where they were making losses before that? Plus there's also the 3DS to consider. The Wii U's losses were so bad that overall the whole company made a loss despite the success of the 3DS.

Nintendo has had 2 years of losses, one of which was before Wii U even released.

Isn't Miitomo also really taking off? 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/268763/Nintendo_shares_up_as_Miitomo_passes_1_million_users.php

A million users and an 8% rise in stock, and it's only released in Japan.....