By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:
It's arguably the biggest console failure in recent time as it sold at a slower rate than the Dreamcast.

Wii U outsold the Dreamcast.

"But Dreamcast reached 9 million faster" is ultimately pointless. Wii U sold faster than PS3 and 360 at first, doesn't mean it was more successful than those consoles overall.

My comment didn't mention sale amount. The Wii U sold SLOWER than the Dreamcast, which makes it a pretty staggering failure. 

Actually market velocity is an incredibly important factor, and the fact the Wii U has sold at such a dismal rate through the majoirty of it's life means that it would seem to be sensible for Nintendo to cease production of it this year. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
But but but......i thought Nintendo was going to support it thru 2017?

Stopping production doesn't mean stopping support. Also, stopping production at the end of this year doesn't tell us how long the supplies will last, they could be enough for the whole 2017 or even later. Stopping production at the end of this year doesn't rule out an Autumn 2017 launch for NX, as Ninty normally behaves differently from Sony (and, after the first XB flop that forced it to kill its first console suddenly, MS too) and it sells and supports its old consoles for a shorter period after launching their successors, and if late life sales are as low as Wii U ones, a short period of sales and support of the old one after the new launch can be granted even stopping production quite early.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Why am I not surprised by this?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

SpokenTruth said:
ps4tw said:

My comment didn't mention sale amount. The Wii U sold SLOWER than the Dreamcast, which makes it a pretty staggering failure. 

Actually market velocity is an incredibly important factor, and the fact the Wii U has sold at such a dismal rate through the majoirty of it's life means that it would seem to be sensible for Nintendo to cease production of it this year. 

Unless they are making profit from it.  Which they are.  No need to race to the next thing if they can still take their time top plan it out.

Apart from Nintendo had a string of financial loses while selling the Wii U. And 10 million almost certainly did not generate a net profit for Nintendo. 

There isn't a need to race to the next thing, but while their only console on the market is the Wii U, they are losing the market share to the competition. I guarentee that if they don't focus on VR, they are doomed. 

SpokenTruth said:
ps4tw said:

Apart from Nintendo had a string of financial loses while selling the Wii U. And 10 million almost certainly did not generate a net profit for Nintendo. 

There isn't a need to race to the next thing, but while their only console on the market is the Wii U, they are losing the market share to the competition. I guarentee that if they don't focus on VR, they are doomed. 

They lost money before the Wii U too.  The majority of their fiscal impact is at the whim of the exchange rates since they trade on the US Dollar.  That said, they've had 3 straight quarters with profits with the most recent being quite nice.

Q1 2015 (ends 06/30/15) - $80 million net profit.
Q2 2015 (ends 09/30/15) - $27 million net profit.
Q3 2015 (ends 12/31/16 - $260 million net profit.

As for market share, if they jump to the NX, they start with 0 market share.

They have to move to NX at some point, the sooner they release, the sooner it can build a large (hopefully for Nintendo anyway) userbase. 

Beyond there are a lot of potential profits from new hardware -- accessorie sales, 3rd party licensing fees will likely spike hugely over the Wii U which basically earns Nintendo zero right now, potential profit from the hardware itself, etc. etc. 

Around the Network

Nintendo already confirmed that the Nikkei news is not true!

TH-Work said:

And it has been established that Nintento has denied Nikkei news in the past that turned out to be true.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

well i go everywhere explor everything then re do it all in time attack mode. for dk.

and mk was like crack for me when it came out and i played it everyday for about 6 months after work.  non stop online battle lol

zorg1000 said:
TH-Work said:

And it has been established that Nintento has denied Nikkei news in the past that turned out to be true.

Yeah! And the Nintendo NX controller leak is real too :D

TH-Work said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah! And the Nintendo NX controller leak is real too :D

U think a random "leaker" on reddit is somehow in the same league as Nikkei? I dont understand how what you said is relevant to the discussion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.