By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA currently has NX dev kits, Nintendo and EA having multiple meetings in March to decide if they will support the NX

I can live, again, with a Nintendo console without an EA game, I don't have sports games in my Wii and Wii U, last FIFA I played was in the Gamecube era (FIFA 07) but I admit that it would be nice to have FIFA in the NX because my nephews, both soccer lovers, aftter buying a Wii a few years ago they bought an Xbox 360 exclusively to play FIFA, they like the Wii U as well but they want an Xbox One because eventually they will crave for FIFA 17...

Around the Network

The way I look at this.

Wii U: EA promise excellent support. They provide some titles but quickly abandon ship.

NX: EA are considering support but they're not happy with Nintendo. Honestly unless Nintendo write a big ass check I can't see more than a token launch game or two from EA to cash in on the early thirst for games.

Also isn't now a little late to be meeting about potentially making games? Don't they take 1 or two years to make? Unless they mean ports of titles like fifa etc that wouldn't take more than 6 months to do.

If Nintendo can't get EA on board then it doesn't bode well for other major 3rd parties getting on board either imo. Here's hoping that EA does decide to make games for the NX though.

Screamapillar said:

This is the thing that always gets me, and I know you can't pick and choose what news is. News is news. Having said that:

One thing is true, without a doubt: There will be more people bitching and complaining about EA not putting enough content and not supporting new Nintendo platforms, than there will be people that actually purchase the games EA does publish on Nintendo platforms. Been that way since early 2000's.

Even if the planets aligned, and EA and Nintendo each did exactly what the other company wanted each other to do, there still wouldn't be a cultivated, mature base of loyal customers willing to just *switch* from Xbox or Playstation. Truthfully, there's really no reason for it to even happen. People that buy franchise Nintendo sequels in the fives or tens of millions do not buy officially-licensed sports games. Xbox and Playstation have done an amazing job catering to the loyal, dedicated sports fans that come back every year and spend a baseline of $60 without even the slightest hesitation. It's not worth it/ beyond all hope to even attempt to get a certain percentage of those people to switch platforms.

The only way EA could sell their games on Nintendo platforms is to:

a) Find a way to creatively cater to Nintendo fans (of all ages)
b) skew to a younger demographic with certain titles

In other words, create new customers. Stop trying to get current customers, that are completely satisfied with their current systems, to migrate to Nintendo platforms for no apparent reason, and have a worse experience, and then complain that you can't make money on Nintendo platforms. When you don't try, or really put any effort into it, you tend to not achieve spectacular results.

Exactly.

Games like plants vs zombies would be a perfect fit for Nintendo. It has that bright colorful look that Nintendo games have and it kinda resembles splatoon from what I've seen gameplay wise.

Leave the sports to Xbox and PlayStation.

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Ladies and gentlemen, get your bets ready, 'cause this can go either way.

Also, "EA wants Nintendo to do more cross promotion stuff. They've been very disappointed that Nintendo doesn't do EA sports console bundles." How are they going to do that without EA sport games?

Its not like they are going to port the sports games and wait and see if Nintendo decides to advertise it for them. They need a commitment from Nintendo in order to be able to support Nintendo. And from what tamaki implys, they have tried before and have been shot down by Nintendo.

Wait What??? When did third party start telling what hardware makers to do. It should be and always should be the other way around. If third parties get there way which you have seen lately. Destiny, Battlefont, etc will be the norm and consumers will be screwed. Tablets will dominate gaming for kids and the kids growing up now will not play video games and the market will crash like 84

KLAMarine said:
jason1637 said:

You can but there's many others that only play these type of games every year. 

Then I'd suggest those people invest on a different console.

That's what tens of millions of people have already done. Nintendo obviously doesn't want to let those customers to just go away without any sort of fight or option. You'd hope at least.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

DolPhanTendo said:
cycycychris said:

Its not like they are going to port the sports games and wait and see if Nintendo decides to advertise it for them. They need a commitment from Nintendo in order to be able to support Nintendo. And from what tamaki implys, they have tried before and have been shot down by Nintendo.

Wait What??? When did third party start telling what hardware makers to do. It should be and always should be the other way around. If third parties get there way which you have seen lately. Destiny, Battlefont, etc will be the norm and consumers will be screwed. Tablets will dominate gaming for kids and the kids growing up now will not play video games and the market will crash like 84

Hate to break this to you, but this is reality. Tablets and smartphones are lightyears ahead of 3DS and Vita for children. They are their primary game devices, and it's not even close.

Also, I don't see why third parties shouldn't be thrown around at will of the console manufacturers. With other gaming markets that don't require a console, the console manufacturers have to create a healthy environment for those publishers if they want those games to continue.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

jason1637 said:
cycycychris said:

Liam did some clarification with Nintendo life and added more meat to the story

Remember when the Wii U was about to launch a few years back, and EA's CEO John Riccitiello spoke boldly about the "unprecedented partnership" his firm enjoyed with Nintendo? What followed was anything but, with EA dropping support for the machine after a string of commercial flops.

However, according to information we've been given from a solid source, it would appear that Nintendo and EA are looking to put the past behind them and hop back into bed with one another. Nintendo Life contributor Liam Robertson - a man known to have his finger on several pulses and an ear permanently fixed to the ground - has been speaking to "several" staffers at EA and has discovered that the publisher is holding meetings with Nintendo next month and support for NX is a primary topic. He has now exclusively given us access to the correspondence he's been having with these sources.

It should come as no great shock to learn that EA has NX dev kits - we already know that they are out in the wild thanks to reports last year - but what is rather more surprising is Nintendo's eagerness to get the company back on board after the disappointment of the Wii U. EA was apparently one of the first publishers to get access to NX development hardware, and from the information we've been given, Nintendo is citing EA as a key ally when it comes to making its next console a success.

The sources claim that multiple meetings are lined up for March, and that EA has been discussing several points with Nintendo relating to marketing. These meetings will apparently decide how much support EA - or specifically, its EA Sports arm - will be giving Nintendo in the near future. The publisher understandably wants "a detailed plan" on how Nintendo intends to win over sports fans with NX hardware - something it failed to do with Wii U. EA is keen to learn how Nintendo intends to build up a large enough "sports" audience on NX, as this was apparently one of the key reasons for the publisher abandoning Wii U - it simply wasn't seen as the console of choice for followers of sports.

EA is being quite bold and is asking Nintendo to spend more advertising dollars during televised sporting events like NFL games, NBA games, MLB games, World Cup matches and the World Series in order to claim this audience. The publisher is citing the fact that both Sony and Microsoft spend a large portion of cash during such events, and that EA's titles are given prominence in promotional campaigns.

Another point of contention involves hardware bundles. Traditionally, Nintendo doesn't bundle EA games with its consoles - unlike Microsoft and Sony. According to sources within EA, this is actually seen as something of an insult, and the company will be asking Nintendo to consider shipping NX consoles with leading EA Sports titles, such as FIFA and Madden. While this might smack of arrogance, it's a tactic which has worked well on rival hardware, so there's definitely logic to EA's reasoning.

Finally, there's the topic of applications. Sources claim that during a December meeting between EA and Nintendo executives, an EA exec "criticized Wii U for not having entertainment apps for MLB.TV, NBA, WWE Network, NHL Gamecenter Live, and the NFL". The PlayStation 4 has all of those applications, and EA feels that this is key reason for the machine's success among sports fans. The demand here is that Nintendo ensures NX is able to run such apps, or offer similar functionality to entice sports fans.

Of course, there's so much more to EA's business than just sports titles, but you only have to look at the global sales charts to see that the company's sports-based releases account for a lot of revenue. In this respect, it's understandable that EA wants Nintendo to beef up its standing with this sector of the games-buying public - both Sony and Microsoft have ensured that their respective platforms cater for the vital "sports" demographic, while Nintendo has, in recent years, rather ignored it.

Whether or not Nintendo will bow to such demands remains to be seen, and even if it does, it's going to be a difficult task tempting sports-lovers away from their Xboxes and PlayStations. However, the fact that such meetings are taking place shows that Nintendo is keen to fix the battered relationship it has had with EA and other third parties - companies that will be absolutely vital to the success of NX.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/rumour_ea_and_nintendo_looking_to_rekindle_unprecedented_partnership_on_nx

I  agree with EA a FIFA NX bundle will do very good in Europe. 

If i would Nintendo i would agree on a FIFA bundle at launch, but only if it was an exclusive FIFA title.

97alexk said:
jason1637 said:

I  agree with EA a FIFA NX bundle will do very good in Europe. 

If i would Nintendo i would agree on a FIFA bundle at launch, but only if it was an exclusive FIFA title.

Yeah, I don't see that happening.  I think you'd have better luck asking for an exclusive mainline Final Fantasy game.