By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The end of Xbox is approaching

Machiavellian said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

the more they make available on PC the more the dilute the Xbox brand for consoles.

Exactly how does this dilute their Console Brand.  Are you telling me the majority of Console consumers have gaming PCs.  How many people in your circle have gameing PCs.  Also if MS provide a Streabox that allow PC players to play MS games on their TV, stay within MS XBL services how does this dilute the Xbox Conxole brand.  In other words, if you are only looking at a console as the current system we have today, I would say you probably not looking at how this concept will change in the next 5 years.

Personally I would not be surprise if people will not be able to steam a game directly from their Phone and have PS4 quality graphics in the next 5 years.  The company that on the forefront on delivering that tech will be the next hit.  

they are removing exclusivity from their platform.  That removes incentive to get the platform.

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

The Window service will not survive at all without the XB1, Simply because PC gamer's loathe Microsoft and Steam is their favorite, i doubt Microsoft will be able to sell software at all except their own games, because then they have to compete against Steam in the Multiplat-area which we all know is a dead end. Microsoft can make money by turning their exclusives multiplat if they abandon the XB brand as a console maker, it will be the same thing that happen with Sega. If Microsoft leaves the console market, they no longer have the need to have exclusives to win a market, but they can enter all of the different market's including PS4, which will actually benefit them a lot in the long run.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

zero129 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Xbox needed vasts amounts of money to shoehorn it's way in the console market. You have to build a decent product, create/buy first party studios, build/buy exclusive software and then market the hell out of it. 

Going up against Nintendo and PlayStation you better have a huge budget. That period where they NEED to spend crazy amounts ended half way through the 7th gen. The platform can sustain itself.

They have built a brand that can stand up to PlayStation and Nintendo, can sustain itself and bring in profit and is a household name Why the hell would they throw that all away? It's even more insane to think they would ditch Xbox when they have spent billions getting the brand off the ground and had the best part of a decade reaping profits from it.

Will it adapt, sure! Whatever their plans to extract more money from us, Xbox will more than likely be at the heart of it. Of course it's possible they could ditch it for Windows, hell we could see Steambox style mini PCs called something like Windowsbox. We could even see a service/hardware renamed to Windows Xbox. But my opinion is that they will stick with the Xbox brand.

You're right!. The xbox brand itself is going no where. When it comes to MS hardware its their most well known brand!.

But what i believe MS will do nextgen or even maybe this gen at some point with an Xbox 1S or xbox 10 (depending on what name they want to use).

Is they will release a more powerful Windows 10 console, it will have the Xbox name on it, the Xbox1 will most likely be repositioned as a cheaper version (Kinda like how phones and tablets do it).

I also believe they will open up the Xbox brand to other developers like valve with the steambox. MS will allow other developers to use a version of Windows 10 thats made for the TV (Think the current xbox1 OS) to build xbox branded consoles. I believe they will do this to better possition the xbox brand in countrys where its not so strong. Like i believe a Samsung Xbox would sell better then an MS branded one in japan you get me??.

MS will have the "One" Store front on Xbox1, Xbox10 and Windows10 for their flagship titles with their indie games and less powerful games being on all Windows 10 stores (Tablets+Phones etc).

But even when MS does open up the Xbox brand to others they will still make hardware and Xbox systems themselfs. Just the sameway as they make their own Windows 10 phones, and how google even make their own tablets and phones etc.

So this isnt going to be MS leaving the Xbox brand like some want to believe, this will be MS making the xbox brand stronger and bringing it to the front of their "One" eco system plan.

The way I see it, they will create an special version of W10 that will run on their next console and have all the functionalities of W10 and have the same compatibility with PC games. However, specific Xbox 10 only games would still be released. In a way, you'd have a gaming machine that can act as a computer and is also able to play games exclusively designed for it. 

That's what I think they are aiming at with the recent cross platform titles. A console whose game catalog is that of PC + exclusives. 

It certainly fits with their "a Windows machine in every living room" concept and master plan (which I wholeheartedly support)... 

Baryonyx said:
The Window service will not survive at all without the XB1, Simply because PC gamer's loathe Microsoft and Steam is their favorite, i doubt Microsoft will be able to sell software at all except their own games, because then they have to compete against Steam in the Multiplat-area which we all know is a dead end. Microsoft can make money by turning their exclusives multiplat if they abandon the XB brand as a console maker, it will be the same thing that happen with Sega. If Microsoft leaves the console market, they no longer have the need to have exclusives to win a market, but they can enter all of the different market's including PS4, which will actually benefit them a lot in the long run.

I'm not familiar with the PC market but do we know what percentage of PC gamers use Steam?

SWORDF1SH said:
Baryonyx said:

I'm not familiar with the PC market but do we know what percentage of PC gamers use Steam?

Around 140m active user's, a very diveded group when it comes to *genres* due for the vast diversity of games, and most of them aren't even interested in the majority of the mainstream games outside of PC,  so basically it's a tough group to convince into the *console-mainstream games* 

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Xbox needed vasts amounts of money to shoehorn it's way in the console market. You have to build a decent product, create/buy first party studios, build/buy exclusive software and then market the hell out of it. 

Going up against Nintendo and PlayStation you better have a huge budget. That period where they NEED to spend crazy amounts ended half way through the 7th gen. The platform can sustain itself.

They have built a brand that can stand up to PlayStation and Nintendo, can sustain itself and bring in profit and is a household name Why the hell would they throw that all away? It's even more insane to think they would ditch Xbox when they have spent billions getting the brand off the ground and had the best part of a decade reaping profits from it.

Will it adapt, sure! Whatever their plans to extract more money from us, Xbox will more than likely be at the heart of it. Of course it's possible they could ditch it for Windows, hell we could see Steambox style mini PCs called something like Windowsbox. We could even see a service/hardware renamed to Windows Xbox. But my opinion is that they will stick with the Xbox brand.

I know of a more successful brand than Xbox that got ditched.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
RolStoppable said:

I know of a more successful brand than Xbox that got ditched.

Well, the brand was ditched when the smartphones took over and the whole MP3 player fad died out... 

I think xbox consoles will end and it will become like a service or 3rd party

Xbox could become a service however MS already stated Xbox is important for there living room goals. Let me repeat, living room goals. They need Xbox to conquer the living room they cant do that with PC. There will most definitely be a Xbox 2 (Sorry haters) theres already rumours of it being in development.

X1 has sold better then the 360 so every generation the Xbox has been growing not declining.

For those wanting Xbox to be just a PC service have no idea how important they are to put Sony inline in the console business. Without them Sony will take advantage of its consumers which they have a very poor record of doing that.

We should be grateful for competition not regretful. I am a PC gamer who still uses his X1 just as much. If a PC gamer since the mid 90s can buy and play an Xbox then theres clearly a market for it.

I believe next gen will be the very last for all consoles as i see both MS and Sony becoming a service. As for now there will be a XB2 and a PS5.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:
X1 has sold better then the 360 so every generation the Xbox has been growing not declining.

This is actually an open-ended discussion. For example, one would have to think that for the brand not to decline, it needs to sell, at least, 85 million units. Unless it gets a HUGE jump on the 360 in the US (which isn't impossible, but unlikely), this will be the Xbox's 2nd best selling machine.

I was actually just about to post something similar before I saw your post. So many people seem to ignore or forget that 360 had an incredibly late peak largely due to Kinect attracting a new audience to 360. Unless XB1 gets some massive killer app like that than its unlikely it will match 360 sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.