Forums - Sales Discussion - The end of Xbox is approaching

xbox brand isn't going anywhere.
xbox hardware will return for another generation, but I do think that they're planning something radical with the next iteration.
microsoft has boatloads of cash and satya nadella, along with other high-profile execs/employees at ms, have repeatedly stated that they consider xbox to be an integral part of microsoft now and for the future.
Just because the xbox one isn't performing as well as the ps4 doesn't mean that microsoft considers it a failure.
Console generations have all had various leaders and losers with varying distributions of marketshare for each major player per generation. If the xbox 360/wii/ps4 showed anything, it's that things can change with each generation of consoles.  The Xbox brand is still hugely popular in certain territories.  If you think microsoft is willing to just let that go, to let go of that audience who is so central to microsoft's aspirationsfor the living room, you'd be a fool to think so.  If they didn't abandon it during OG Xbox's generation or when they incurred heavy, heavy losses with the Xbox 360 RRoD, what's going to make them jump ship right now??    

I rarely visit this website anymore due to a number of reasons, but I had to comment on this.  

Around the Network
roborad said:

xbox hardware will return for another generation, but I do think that they're planning something radical with the next iteration.
microsoft has boatloads of cash and satya nadella, along with other high-profile execs/employees at ms, have repeatedly stated that they consider xbox to be an integral part of microsoft now and for the future.
Just because the xbox one isn't performing as well as the ps4 doesn't mean that microsoft considers it a failure.
Console generations have all had various leaders and losers with varying distributions of marketshare for each major player per generation. If the xbox 360/wii/ps4 showed anything, it's that things can change with each generation of consoles.  The Xbox brand is still hugely popular in certain territories.  If you think microsoft is willing to just let that go, to let go of that audience who is so central to microsoft's aspirationsfor the living room, you'd be a fool to think so.  If they didn't abandon it during OG Xbox's generation or when they incurred heavy, heavy losses with the Xbox 360 RRoD, what's going to make them jump ship right now??    

I rarely visit this website anymore due to a number of reasons, but I had to comment on this.  

Good post.

I find people often forget this, especially bolded.

I miss posts like this on vgchartz.

SWORDF1SH said:

Lol let's play 'you hate me' card. You are still missing the point and your turning this into something else. I actually have more confidence in reason 1 but not because of you. You had 2 chances to reply to me but you just replied with absolutely nothing.

I asked for link to get the an understanding the context of why they believed consoles would be a threat. Talking to mjk put more context on it. You could of done the same. To tell the truth a simple reply to my first comment would of prevented where we're at. All I wanted is to understand your opinion and as it's your opinion, talking about it is the whole point of a forum.

If you want to sulk over me calling your thread tripe instead of talking about, fine, it only generates the illusion that you do not know what the hell you're talking about.

Anyway thanks to mjk and ruler for doing rols work. Now I usually have a 3 strike rule but you've had more than enough strikes so excuse if I don't reply to next post.

What's in the OP isn't my opinion for why Microsoft entered the console business. It's factual.

When others already provided you with additional information while I was offline, then it's redundant for me to post exactly the same things afterwards. You already got what you asked for and at that point you should be man enough to admit that I was right all along. Come on, say it. Rol was right.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

padib said:
roborad said:

Good post.

Very good post indeed. The Xbox brand is huge and valuable. Like me and mjk discussed in a previous post, no doubt the Xbox brand will change over time, MS will just mold it into what they want. I think without it, it will be very hard to make people pay for live.

padib said:
roborad said:

Good post.

Except not really, because the Xbox One is fighting a desperate fight in its best territories and losing. Elsewhere is a non-factor. The last time this was an issue was during the first Xbox, but exclusives kept it afloat. 

But without those...

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
padib said:

Good post.

Except not really, because the Xbox One is fighting a desperate fight in its best territories and losing. Elsewhere is a non-factor. The last time this was an issue was during the first Xbox, but exclusives kept it afloat. 

But without those...

So was the PS3 last gen, so was the cube before the Wii.

So I'll say again it was a great post, and unfortunatey that kind of logic has been lost on the forum for a while because people have become very near-sighted. It's unfortunate.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Making basically all of their games playable through PC is a move towards saying "Xbox isn't gone, we're just making it part of PC now!" as a means to disguise giving up on consoles.

Actually no it does not.  What it means is that MS is a business that have multiple ecosystems.  They have published their games on PC before and if anything this is just a recommitment to the same strategy they did when they started within the industry.  MS has always wanted and still have a hardware device under the TV and they still want their PC endeavors to continue to push adoption of their OS and services. 

If anything, MS publishing games under the PC means that they are recommitted to trying to established their games publishing arm on Windows 10 and future OS's.  They want customers to have a reason to purchase from the MS store also get those customers to use their XBL services on their Primary platform.  PC and Console gamers really are not the same when you talk about the total install base. 

It really just makes sense for MS to try to leverage their game division to publish for both of their ecosystems to maximize profits and increase adoption of their services across all of their platforms.  This in no way means they will suddenly abandon the Console market if anything, they are probably even more committed because they still need a piece of hardware underneath the TV.  The thing is, they will have probably multiple different ways to access their games and services by providing something like a Steambox that streams from your PC or the internet using Azure as their back end.  They will also have another console for their next generation because they want that market as well.  

Machiavellian said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Making basically all of their games playable through PC is a move towards saying "Xbox isn't gone, we're just making it part of PC now!" as a means to disguise giving up on consoles.

Actually no it does not.  What it means is that MS is a business that have multiple ecosystems.  They have published their games on PC before and if anything this is just a recommitment to the same strategy they did when they started within the industry.  MS has always wanted and still have a hardware device under the TV and they still want their PC endeavors to continue to push adoption of their OS and services. 

If anything, MS publishing games under the PC means that they are recommitted to trying to established their games publishing arm on Windows 10 and future OS's.  They want customers to have a reason to purchase from the MS store also get those customers to use their XBL services on their Primary platform.  PC and Console gamers really are not the same when you talk about the total install base. 

It really just makes sense for MS to try to leverage their game division to publish for both of their ecosystems to maximize profits and increase adoption of their services across all of their platforms.  This in no way means they will suddenly abandon the Console market if anything, they are probably even more committed because they still need a piece of hardware underneath the TV.  The thing is, they will have probably multiple different ways to access their games and services by providing something like a Steambox that streams from your PC or the internet using Azure as their back end.  They will also have another console for their next generation because they want that market as well.  

the more they make available on PC the more the dilute the Xbox brand for consoles.

I am Iron Man

RolStoppable said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Lol let's play 'you hate me' card. You are still missing the point and your turning this into something else. I actually have more confidence in reason 1 but not because of you. You had 2 chances to reply to me but you just replied with absolutely nothing.

I asked for link to get the an understanding the context of why they believed consoles would be a threat. Talking to mjk put more context on it. You could of done the same. To tell the truth a simple reply to my first comment would of prevented where we're at. All I wanted is to understand your opinion and as it's your opinion, talking about it is the whole point of a forum.

If you want to sulk over me calling your thread tripe instead of talking about, fine, it only generates the illusion that you do not know what the hell you're talking about.

Anyway thanks to mjk and ruler for doing rols work. Now I usually have a 3 strike rule but you've had more than enough strikes so excuse if I don't reply to next post.

What's in the OP isn't my opinion for why Microsoft entered the console business. It's factual.

When others already provided you with additional information while I was offline, then it's redundant for me to post exactly the same things afterwards. You already got what you asked for and at that point you should be man enough to admit that I was right all along. Come on, say it. Rol was right.

It really does not matter why MS entered the console business a long time ago because the leadership has changed radically since then.  Actually MS as a company has radically changed from that period so trying to look at the pass to determine who MS will run in the future is pretty much a waste of time.  Instead you should be looking at the direction of MS today and their future plans to try to understand where the Xbox division will go.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

the more they make available on PC the more the dilute the Xbox brand for consoles.

Exactly how does this dilute their Console Brand.  Are you telling me the majority of Console consumers have gaming PCs.  How many people in your circle have gameing PCs.  Also if MS provide a Streabox that allow PC players to play MS games on their TV, stay within MS XBL services how does this dilute the Xbox Conxole brand.  In other words, if you are only looking at a console as the current system we have today, I would say you probably not looking at how this concept will change in the next 5 years.

Personally I would not be surprise if people will not be able to steam a game directly from their Phone and have PS4 quality graphics in the next 5 years.  The company that on the forefront on delivering that tech will be the next hit.