By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The end of Xbox is approaching

Machiavellian said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

the more they make available on PC the more the dilute the Xbox brand for consoles.

Exactly how does this dilute their Console Brand.  Are you telling me the majority of Console consumers have gaming PCs.  How many people in your circle have gameing PCs.  Also if MS provide a Streabox that allow PC players to play MS games on their TV, stay within MS XBL services how does this dilute the Xbox Conxole brand.  In other words, if you are only looking at a console as the current system we have today, I would say you probably not looking at how this concept will change in the next 5 years.

Personally I would not be surprise if people will not be able to steam a game directly from their Phone and have PS4 quality graphics in the next 5 years.  The company that on the forefront on delivering that tech will be the next hit.  

This is the kind of Topic that i Deslike, why do People think that Only Because Microsoft, seems to be taking the same direction than Steam, what this have to do with Consoles, and why everyone need to do the same ?, Playstation 4, is surpassing Playstation 2, on Sales, Nintendo, will Launch the NX, and the life goes on, if Microsoft, does not want to stay on the Market, and want to focus more on PC, and on Profit, why do the Console Market need to die because of this ?.

Atari, come, and Gone, and the Console market still strong, now Atari, is Bandai Namco (i think that is), Sega, was on the Market, and now is Gone, and the market still strong, even Sega, sending games for PC, and Cellphones, does not means that the others need to do this, and Sega, is making 300+ Millions of Profit per year, nearly more than Nintendo, and Nintendo, have consoles to sell.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
RolStoppable said:

There is some merit to this argument.

What we could witness in the last few years is that Xbox has certainly lost importance for Microsoft. When it started, the console business was allowed to throw billions of dollars down the drain, but nowadays Xbox has to sustain itself instead of being subsidized by other divisions. Hence why Sony is able to get so many deals with third party franchises. Microsoft's console business doesn't get the same funds for bidding wars anymore, so they have to be a lot more selective than in the past.

In other words, since Xbox isn't really a defensive measure anymore, Microsoft's willingness to spend money on gaming has decreased.

Actually I am not so sure if the xbox has lost more importance than MS is looking at the whole division in a different way.  what I mean by this is that MS want want Apple has which is a consumer pressence.  They also want to leverage their backend products like Azure to be the forfront tech for delivering content, which also include games.  The thing is, I believe a lot of gamers are holding on to much to consoles as they are today but that is a very limited vision.  The key for MS, Sony and Nintendo is to make sure they can deliver their content on any device.  Sony started with PS Now, Not sure what Nintendo is doing but I am sure they are doing something and MS is doing it with Azure.  I still feel that your TV console system will be there in another generation but i also feel that with current technology, people will be able to easily stream PS4 quality graphics to their TV from their Phone/ Tablet or some streambox.  

It really would be silly for any of these companies not to see the shift in how consumers want to consume their entertainment.  MS defintely want a box underneath the TV because their major competitors are still making such boxes like Google and Apple.  MS does not just compete with Sony and even Sony best not consume theirselves just looking at MS or Nintendo.  The market is exploding which gaming devices but the company that is ready to take charge in the near future will reap the rewards.

Wrong, i don't think that this is going to be the Standart, the Consoles, sell much well on a lot of countries on the World, and those countries will not have a good enought internet for streaming, for the next 200 Years, Because of the 'Full Digital' is that Microsoft, started the Generation, already loosing for Sony.

If you want worldwide recognition, you will still need a Hardware, but if is looking just for some countries, you can go 100% Online, but even on the best countries for this, you will still have inssues.

Machiavellian said:

It really just makes sense for MS to try to leverage their game division to publish for both of their ecosystems to maximize profits and increase adoption of their services across all of their platforms.  This in no way means they will suddenly abandon the Console market if anything, they are probably even more committed because they still need a piece of hardware underneath the TV.  The thing is, they will have probably multiple different ways to access their games and services by providing something like a Steambox that streams from your PC or the internet using Azure as their back end.  They will also have another console for their next generation because they want that market as well.  

Exactly, MS are unlikely to abandon Xbox. Doing so would be the end of a piece of a very profitable market and  the end of XBL subs. They are having a bad gen and still making money through Xbox.

MS will launch into next gen swinging and you can bet your top dollar on it.

A lot of really good points being thrown around. I would say that the vast majority feel that Xbox is here to stay.

SWORDF1SH said:
A lot of really good points being thrown around. I would say that the vast majority feel that Xbox is here to stay.

Probably will. I wouldn't be surprised if it left, though.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Spencer wants it to stay as far as I know, so I guess that yes, it's here to stay...

There will be a 4th generation Xbox console, maybe it will be here in 2019 or 2020.

Proud to be a Californian.

Azuren said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Probably will. I wouldn't be surprised if it left, though.

Xbox needed vasts amounts of money to shoehorn it's way in the console market. You have to build a decent product, create/buy first party studios, build/buy exclusive software and then market the hell out of it. 

Going up against Nintendo and PlayStation you better have a huge budget. That period where they NEED to spend crazy amounts ended half way through the 7th gen. The platform can sustain itself.

They have built a brand that can stand up to PlayStation and Nintendo, can sustain itself and bring in profit and is a household name Why the hell would they throw that all away? It's even more insane to think they would ditch Xbox when they have spent billions getting the brand off the ground and had the best part of a decade reaping profits from it.

Will it adapt, sure! Whatever their plans to extract more money from us, Xbox will more than likely be at the heart of it. Of course it's possible they could ditch it for Windows, hell we could see Steambox style mini PCs called something like Windowsbox. We could even see a service/hardware renamed to Windows Xbox. But my opinion is that they will stick with the Xbox brand.

TheSting said:
Nate4Drake said:

I would not sell the X1; rather I would buy a PS4 so that they will realize it is a better console :D

Better? 😂 😂 

:)      I was kidding, I mean, it's better for me but everybody has his own taste.   For some people WiiU is the best console.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

zero129 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Xbox needed vasts amounts of money to shoehorn it's way in the console market. You have to build a decent product, create/buy first party studios, build/buy exclusive software and then market the hell out of it. 

Going up against Nintendo and PlayStation you better have a huge budget. That period where they NEED to spend crazy amounts ended half way through the 7th gen. The platform can sustain itself.

They have built a brand that can stand up to PlayStation and Nintendo, can sustain itself and bring in profit and is a household name Why the hell would they throw that all away? It's even more insane to think they would ditch Xbox when they have spent billions getting the brand off the ground and had the best part of a decade reaping profits from it.

Will it adapt, sure! Whatever their plans to extract more money from us, Xbox will more than likely be at the heart of it. Of course it's possible they could ditch it for Windows, hell we could see Steambox style mini PCs called something like Windowsbox. We could even see a service/hardware renamed to Windows Xbox. But my opinion is that they will stick with the Xbox brand.

You're right!. The xbox brand itself is going no where. When it comes to MS hardware its their most well known brand!.

But what i believe MS will do nextgen or even maybe this gen at some point with an Xbox 1S or xbox 10 (depending on what name they want to use).

Is they will release a more powerful Windows 10 console, it will have the Xbox name on it, the Xbox1 will most likely be repositioned as a cheaper version (Kinda like how phones and tablets do it).

I also believe they will open up the Xbox brand to other developers like valve with the steambox. MS will allow other developers to use a version of Windows 10 thats made for the TV (Think the current xbox1 OS) to build xbox branded consoles. I believe they will do this to better possition the xbox brand in countrys where its not so strong. Like i believe a Samsung Xbox would sell better then an MS branded one in japan you get me??.

MS will have the "One" Store front on Xbox1, Xbox10 and Windows10 for their flagship titles with their indie games and less powerful games being on all Windows 10 stores (Tablets+Phones etc).

But even when MS does open up the Xbox brand to others they will still make hardware and Xbox systems themselfs. Just the sameway as they make their own Windows 10 phones, and how google even make their own tablets and phones etc.

So this isnt going to be MS leaving the Xbox brand like some want to believe, this will be MS making the xbox brand stronger and bringing it to the front of their "One" eco system plan.

Interesting concept. I said something similar in another post. MS will go the Steam box route, basically mini PCs that will require no porting between PC and console. Every PC game will be playable on it and every Xbox game will be playable on PC. 

MS could possibly license out the Xbox brand to 3rd party companies to make their own Xbox, again similar to Steambox. While MS will still make their own versions of the Xbox they will make money licensing out Xbox plus the Xbox Live subs. If the fully migrate back over to PC, they will have a hard time trying to get PC gamers to pay for Live. 

It could also be why they are making all their exclusives available on PC in preparation for full Xbox-PC merger.

They could allow steam on their box but I can't see Valve being open to it. This move would put them in direct competition with Steam.