By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The end of Xbox is approaching

Console builds from this point on will be so generic with parts that I doubt r and d costs would be that high if they were to make another console.
I can see them making another one if they don't cost as much to produce, just as an alternative for those who can't be bothered with pcs. The shared ecosystem is the goal I'd imagine

Around the Network

A lot of what you wrote is tripe but this is very possible,
'They could turn their gaming branch into a service and not worry about selling hardware'.

Listen, I really just want the Xbox brand to die off (or to stop being a line of consoles) and MS to go PC so that we don't have to buy 3 different machines every generation to get the full experience.

bet: lost

I think this is a very likely scenario. Consoles are hard to make and sometimes harder to sell, so why not sell a service instead? In this digital age it's becoming more about the games themselves and less about what you're playing them on. (Something that the "anti-third-party-Nintendo" people don't seem to understand, but that's a whole other can of worms.)

RolStoppable said:

I considered using the word "imminent" for the thread title, but that would have carried the implication that we are only a year or two away from the end of the Xbox brand. What I'll be talking about is not a scenario like it was envisioned by the deceased (read: permabanned) VGC member Burek which saw the discontinuation of Xbox One by the end of 2016 or something like that.

Alright, on to the topic. Xbox was a defensive measure of Microsoft to protect their core business Windows. PlayStation was considered a threat for two reasons.

1. The convergence box - What if people used their video game console to do all the things a PC does? Then people wouldn't buy PCs anymore and that would have a negative impact on Windows sales. This threat was perceived as very real by Microsoft.

Today we know that that isn't going to happen. The PS3 couldn't do it. The 360 couldn't do it. The X1 doesn't do it. The PS4 isn't successful because of its multimedia functionality. What people use instead of a PC are smartphones and tablets. Microsoft's real competition isn't a console manufacturer and therefore this reason to operate a video game business is null and void.

2. Game developers - Aside from the general entertainment functionality, consumers also bought PCs for gaming which in turn led to Windows sales. (No offense to the three guys who game on a Mac.) The Xbox's purpose was to keep Direct X relevant as a developer standard, because if top tier developers moved away from the PC, then that would have a negative impact on sales for Microsoft. Sony was working on their own technology, widely known as teh C3LL.

Today we know that Sony has shelved their plans to develop their own super-processor. The PS4 is basically a PC in a standardized box, so it's using pretty much exactly the same architecture, thus making it easy for developers to develop for both the PC and consoles. Since consoles are obviously still stuck with the same processing power for years, the demand for gaming PCs remains intact which is good for Windows.

So what's left as reasoning for Xbox's existence is that the venture is profitable in and of itself. Otherwise there's no reason to keep it around because PlayStation isn't threatening Microsoft's core business anymore.

Microsoft already makes games multiplatform between the Xbox One and the PC. It's evident that their plans for gaming are changing. There isn't much value in the Xbox brand anymore, especially because it's toxic in most parts of the world. So why invest billions in research and development to make another Xbox? It doesn't make sense to do it. So Xbox One is going to be the last Xbox. The service, Xbox Live, is going to be rebranded eventually.

Finally, here comes the catch: This thread is not a prediction that Microsoft won't make another console. They might try again or they might not, but it's time (some might say overdue) that they abandon the Xbox brand. If they get their priorities in check, they could theoretically run a profitable console business. But the big question is if Microsoft is interested in peanuts, because the profits they are raking in from Windows are in a totally different league. They could turn their gaming branch into a service and not worry about selling hardware.

You may wonder if I hate Xbox. Yes, I do. That's why I will be happy to be wrong about the end of Xbox. Hopefully that encourages you to put some thought into your posts. So where do you see Microsoft going in the future?

This is a reason why although I like some of the things MS has brought to the console industry, I never favored them. I always believed they were doing it for the wrong reasons. 

I don't think the Xbox brand will die, but I do think ultimately it will be replaced with a steam machine device and service and I believe we are seeing the start of this already. 

It looks more and more like MS is taking on Valve with the W10 store and how it works as a gaming service. What I really hope for its that it will translate to people moving away from Apple as their first choice of phones, tablets and PCs. 

They will continue to release a console in some form but only as the cheaper option whilst the PC will offer the games with better graphics and performance.

Around the Network

It's like you wrote my thread a year after I did :D

Making basically all of their games playable through PC is a move towards saying "Xbox isn't gone, we're just making it part of PC now!" as a means to disguise giving up on consoles.

I am Iron Man

I think the Xbox and Windows platforms will fuse in the same way the NX might, according some of the many rumors. Meaning the same platform shared by different devices.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Just glad more and more games are going to PC. Preferred place to play. Still use my Xbox for the console games, CoD, Sports games, and various others. Nothing beats, or even comes close, to the XBO elite controller. I also use it for Plex and streaming tv shows and movies.

I don't think MS will get rid of the Xbox division, but I don't think they will making another console. They can't compete with Playstation, and there isn't much money to be made in the console business anyways.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54