By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Confirmed That Bravely Second Is Censored Outside Of Japan - Uncensored News

twintail said:
Cloudman said:
Another moment where I can see why they made the change. Many Native Americans may not be offended, but some may be. So yeah... that's understandable. Plus, cowboys are cool xD

See what? I'm failing to see anything that constitutes offense. All I see if one model having more skin showing than the other. No surprise which is which.

Some native Americans might be offended by being portrayed in a niche game? Should we just scrap all portrayals of North Americans in all forms of media?

Oh no, it's not the portrayal on them that is the problem, but that Native Americans wear clothing like that and dawn feathers on them, like kind of stereotypical. Some natives could be offended by that, or they could not. I'm not saying Ninten is in the right or wrong, but it's something they decided to do, and I see the reasoning behind it.

If Ninten is making the change, perhaps they don't want this game to be treated as a niche game? That's another thing I personally feel here. I figure they're doing what they see is best for the game. That's just me though.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
NoirSon said:

more then half of you that were alive to play FFIV when it was released as FFII in the West probably wouldn't have beaten it because they made the original hard to the point of almost being broken.

Nope: it wasn't really that hard, and us baka gaijin would have beaten it just fine, thank you.

RolStoppable said:
Ruler said:

really? There is a huge cultural difference with sexuality and history between the two unlike this change sugest. This case pretty much proves that videogame devolopers take the standard for the US and put it on everything else outside of Japan and view instances in Australia and Germany

Europe is isn't famous for either indians or cowboys, so what would you have wanted to see?

Vikings! At last, Teddy Bridgewater will have a chance to shine.

Not all censorship is bad, and not all changes for localisation are censorship. Much ado about nothing.

I like the original design better, but as long as it doesn't affect the story or character development, then I don't have a problem with it.

noname2200 said:

RolStoppable said:
Ruler said:

really? There is a huge cultural difference with sexuality and history between the two unlike this change sugest. This case pretty much proves that videogame devolopers take the standard for the US and put it on everything else outside of Japan and view instances in Australia and Germany

Europe is isn't famous for either indians or cowboys, so what would you have wanted to see?

Vikings! At last, Teddy Bridgewater will have a chance to shine.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Oh man, I laughed way more than I should. Between Ragnar and this, the Vikings have a hell of a time with motorcycles, don't they?

This isn't necessarily censorship, as we now have what you could say a costume that Japan doesn't have. It's more of a change. Kinda like the text that is completely modifyed. People complaining about not playing the game in the devs "original way" like uh... You do realize text is changed a shit ton in every Japanese game that gets localized.. Right? Lol

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
This isn't necessarily censorship, as we now have what you could say a costume that Japan doesn't have. It's more of a change. Kinda like the text that is completely modifyed. People complaining about not playing the game in the devs "original way" like uh... You do realize text is changed a shit ton in every Japanese game that gets localized.. Right? Lol

That's still censorship. For example, let's say you wrote a fictional book like the game of thrones and it was finished then published in your home country. If you or your publisher change anything from original beyond the language it's written in, it's censorship for the most part.

Aeolus451 said:
Jumpin said:
Ruler said:

lol this feels even more offensive to Native Americans imo, by replacing the natives with cowboys. And what about Europe and PAL regions its not an issue here? Why get european taste constantley butched together with the american?

You silly English people have no idea what censorship is. Censorship is when something is blocked by a government for being obscene. This is localization, or the editing of a game to make it better appeal to the foreign target audience.

Censoring is not exclusively done by governments. 

censorship

/ˈsensərSHip/

noun

• 1.the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security

And since nothing was suppressed or prohibited, this situation does not fall under that definition and therefore is not censorship. This is localization, it is what videogame publishers do in order to market their games in foreign markets. When something is changed, it is not censored. That is like saying the Japanese text was censored in the English version, this is just not the case.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

twintail said:

In guessing you have never heard of self-censorship.

Which would be insignificant compared to actual censorship. That's like saying that because the game makers put clothing on their characters, they are self-censoring nudity.

What this is is localization. When a game is localized, they change text and art so it is more marketable in other regions.

Localization is the adaptation of a product or service to meet the needs of a particular language, culture or desired population's "look-and-feel."

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.