By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Confirmed That Bravely Second Is Censored Outside Of Japan - Uncensored News

Jumpin said:
Aeolus451 said:
Jumpin said:
Ruler said:

lol this feels even more offensive to Native Americans imo, by replacing the natives with cowboys. And what about Europe and PAL regions its not an issue here? Why get european taste constantley butched together with the american?

You silly English people have no idea what censorship is. Censorship is when something is blocked by a government for being obscene. This is localization, or the editing of a game to make it better appeal to the foreign target audience.

Censoring is not exclusively done by governments. 

censorship

/ˈsensərSHip/

noun

• 1.the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security

And since nothing was suppressed or prohibited, this situation does not fall under that definition and therefore is not censorship. This is localization, it is what videogame publishers do in order to market their games in foreign markets. When something is changed, it is not censored. That is like saying the Japanese text was censored in the English version, this is just not the case.

They changed the look of the characters because it might offend someone. That's censorship. 

If you have nude characters in certain parts of a game but you add in undergarments or bathing suits in because it might offend someone. That's censorship.

Around the Network

Technically that's not "censorship" since it was a choice that came from within the company.
Regardless, that's pretty shitty! I wanna play as a warrior class based on native American imagery a lot more than I wanna play as a cowboy class.
Japan really is bad at trying not to offend people. Here (people are guessing) they didn't want to offend native Americans, so their solution was to eliminate their representation in the West all together? Keep trying Japan... Keep trying.

Ruler said:
RolStoppable said:
Looks like another case of censorship that belongs in the category of "if that bothers you, then you have much bigger problems to deal with than that censorship".

yes it bothers me because its an issue of Americans not us. Why do we europeans get always the same version like the americans? 

It actually doesn't bother us. We've just become so tired of listening to everyone scream (racist, sexist, homopobe!) that we just gave up caring. 

What people don't realize is this won't last forever and when people get sick of hearing about how they're (racist, sexist and a homopobe!) they'll swing the extreme opposite direction and start demanding breast scalers and indian girls in every game.

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Oh no, it's not the portrayal on them that is the problem, but that Native Americans wear clothing like that and dawn feathers on them, like kind of stereotypical. Some natives could be offended by that, or they could not. I'm not saying Ninten is in the right or wrong, but it's something they decided to do, and I see the reasoning behind it.

If Ninten is making the change, perhaps they don't want this game to be treated as a niche game? That's another thing I personally feel here. I figure they're doing what they see is best for the game. That's just me though.

Offended by a fantasy game with no real semblance of reality?

The vid claims Nintendo hasn't given a reason.

So native Americans aren't popular enough to be represented in the American release of the game? That sounds potentially more offensive.

Oh no, I don't mean that, haha. It's more of a matter of representing Native Americans in a way that isn't stereotypical nor offensive, and correctly even. I mean, it seems a little strange that something representing Native Americans with a class name 'Tomahawk' uses guns as their main weapon. Wouldn't it be more fitting to be axes or bows? There is some truth to them using guns, but it's not something usually associated with them. Considering they use guns as their primary weapon, that's probably why they changed the class to a cowboy themed one, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

theDX said:
Cream147 said:
Not all censorship is bad, and not all changes for localisation are censorship. Much ado about nothing.

Censorship is inherently bad.

I don't think it's bad to remove bad content.