By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you quit Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

Would you quite Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

yes 197 44.57%

no 245 55.43%

Total:442
Wright said:

If I am allowed to make backup data of the content on my HDD (In case it ever breaks and I can no longer re-download the games per se on a new one), yes, why not? I will forever hold the data and the games. No internet blackout will prevent me from playing so.

I have like 15 digital games on my 360 that work perfectly fine, and I don't have to have the console connected to the internet.

I have like 70 NES carts, 40 Genesis carts and like 20 SNES carts. Some of those are now over 30 years old. Do you think that your HDD is going to last 30 years? Do you think those servers are going to last 30 years? Do you think you'll be able to buy a new HDD for your 360 in 30 years? 

Around the Network

I would go full on PC gamer and invest in Hard Drives to store my games. Once it comes to that both XBox and PS will likely be services like steam at that point so why not?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

AlfredoTurkey said:

Do you think that your HDD is going to last 30 years?

...yes? Why wouldn't it?

As of now I can only purchase phisical games, the only digital games that I own were earned by the Club Nintendo, so I have to say yes, tough I plan on getting myself a credit card relatively soon

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

...yes? Why wouldn't it?

Mechanical HDD like those in the 360 do not have a 30 year lifespan lol. Hell, there's no way a 360 itself will last 30 years.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Mechanical HDD like those in the 360 do not have a 30 year lifespan lol. Hell, there's no way a 360 itself will last 30 years.

What if I keep it perfectly safe and storaged properly?

Well, I am a PC gamer, and I get my games on Steam, so... It would make no difference for me.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

...yes? Why wouldn't it?

Why not?

Shadow1980 said:
Yes. Under no uncertain terms, if the industry forced digital-only, then I'm done supporting them. I am not going to invest any considerable sum of money on digital downloads, aside from the occasional Virtual Console purchase (which is usually just me double- or triple-dipping old games I already own), the last digital games I bought were Perfect Dark HD and Mega Man 10, and that was in early 2010. I am certainly not going to pay $60, $50, $40, or even $30 on a digital download, at least not with the way digital downloads are treated under current U.S. law. I like actually owning what I pay money for. I enjoy the benefits of the second-hand market. I enjoy being able to lend and trade games with friends without the permission of the copyright holder. I enjoy being able to find games that are out of print. I like the fact that, so long as I take care of my collection, those physical copies will last me a lifetime. Digital does not confer any of those benefits.

Of course, I doubt the games industry will ever be stupid enough to force digital-only because A) physical is still overwhelmingly dominant in the console market (it sold digital by about 17-to-1 in 2014) because console gamers have spent decades enjoying the benefits of the First-sale Doctrine and most are loathe to give that up (see the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the XBO's original DRM policies at E3 2013), and B) a significant portion of console gamers are still not online either by choice or by lack of internet access. The games industry, or more specifically the console makers, probably knows that becoming the only segment of the entertainment industry to completely abandon physical media and force digital on everyone when physical is in more demand than perhaps anything else (except maybe books) is not a winning strategy. Whichever one of the Big Three pulls the trigger first (should one of them decide to do so) will have their system go the way of the PSP Go and their games business go the way of Sega. Do not pass "Go," do not collect $200. Straight to third-party.

Wow, best comment in this thread! and I pretty much agree with you.

Of course!! I don´t buy the games to play them, i just buy them for the boxes, i love to touch them on nights.