By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you quit Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

Would you quite Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

yes 197 44.57%

no 245 55.43%

Total:442

Being digital only is the last of the problems to bother me. In fact, I expect to embrace the digital only future soon.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Mechanical HDD like those in the 360 do not have a 30 year lifespan lol. Hell, there's no way a 360 itself will last 30 years.

What if I keep it perfectly safe and storaged properly?

If you kept it in storage and never used it, then it would be as if it were broken anyway because you'd never see/play it.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Wright said:

If I am allowed to make backup data of the content on my HDD (In case it ever breaks and I can no longer re-download the games per se on a new one), yes, why not? I will forever hold the data and the games. No internet blackout will prevent me from playing so.

I have like 15 digital games on my 360 that work perfectly fine, and I don't have to have the console connected to the internet.

I have like 70 NES carts, 40 Genesis carts and like 20 SNES carts. Some of those are now over 30 years old. Do you think that your HDD is going to last 30 years? Do you think those servers are going to last 30 years? Do you think you'll be able to buy a new HDD for your 360 in 30 years? 

You know that you can transfer data from one HDD to another (or some other medium), do you? I have 20 year old PC data which moved from floppy disks to MB-HDDs to GB-HDDs to TB-HDDs.

On consoles you can backup your data to external HDDs and you can transfer your data to new HDDs. I did it twice on my PS3 (from 60 GB to 240 GB to 1 TB) without problems, additionally my PS3 save games are backuped both on my PC and in the PS-cloud. The transfer of my PS4-data (from 500 GB to 1.75 TB) also went flawless, additionally my PS4 save games are backuped both on my PC and in the PS-cloud. My digital Vita games are also backuped on my PC and its save games are both backuped on PC and in the PS-cloud. The data on a 360-HDD can be transfered to another HDD or on a standard USB stick... Shall I go on?

AlfredoTurkey said:

If you kept it in storage and never used it, then it would be as if it were broken anyway because you'd never see/play it.

I mean, I do use it. If I were to spend some time without playing with it (i.e: some months), I'd storage it for the time being.

Conina said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Wright said:

If I am allowed to make backup data of the content on my HDD (In case it ever breaks and I can no longer re-download the games per se on a new one), yes, why not? I will forever hold the data and the games. No internet blackout will prevent me from playing so.

I have like 15 digital games on my 360 that work perfectly fine, and I don't have to have the console connected to the internet.

I have like 70 NES carts, 40 Genesis carts and like 20 SNES carts. Some of those are now over 30 years old. Do you think that your HDD is going to last 30 years? Do you think those servers are going to last 30 years? Do you think you'll be able to buy a new HDD for your 360 in 30 years? 

You know that you can transfer data from one HDD to another (or some other medium), do you? I have 20 year old PC data which moved from floppy disks to MB-HDDs to GB-HDDs to TB-HDDs.

On consoles you can backup your data to external HDDs and you can transfer your data to new HDDs. I did it twice on my PS3 (from 60 GB to 240 GB to 1 TB) without problems, additionally my PS3 save games are backuped both on my PC and in the PS-cloud. The transfer of my PS4-data (from 500 GB to 1.75 TB) also went flawless, additionally my PS4 save games are backuped both on my PC and in the PS-cloud. My digital Vita games are also backuped on my PC and its save games are both backuped on PC and in the PS-cloud. The data on a 360-HDD can be transfered to another HDD or on a standard USB stick... Shall I go on?

Do you know how many times I've transfered my Metroid NES cart since I was given it 30 years ago? Zero. No jumping through hoops, no constant worrying about a HDD crash. No worrying about Nintendo shutting down servers SHOULD the HDD crash... just a cart... sitting on a shelf.

Around the Network

my only concern is being able to backup all the patches and games easily. Don't want this shit of having to install it on the SYSTEM drive then have to backup the whole drive.

INstall on Externals with DLC pack which can be moved freely between hdds and work on any console.

Nope, every game I bought last year was digital so I'm pretty much used to it now :P

BasilZero said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Do you know how many times I've transfered my Metroid NES cart since I was given it 30 years ago? Zero. No jumping through hoops, no constant worrying about a HDD crash. No worrying about Nintendo shutting down servers SHOULD the HDD crash... just a cart... sitting on a shelf.

That will eventually stop working as all old hardware units have a end life to them.

It'll work longer than either of us will.

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I mean, I do use it. If I were to spend some time without playing with it (i.e: some months), I'd storage it for the time being.

I really doubt you'll be able to play those in 30 years on that console. I have a bunch of 360 games too, but it's only a matter of time before they're gone for good. Microsoft will shut the servers down soon like they did the original Xbox and then, we're only going to be able to access them for as long as our HDD's work. And if you do like the poster above said and transfer the saves over to a new HDD for 360, that's only going to work for as long as we can get our hands on a working HDD. Microsoft is not going to make them forever.

Overall, I realize now the error of buying so many digital titles back in 2005-2009. I don't do that anymore.

Puppyroach said:
What is the principle difference between a game being stored on a hard drive or a Bluray, its digital storage either way? Or is it streaming that is the issue?

I have control over the property more so than the company. The device is discontinued. I keep my stuff and I want to use it. If it's on disc. Only the patches. Which is another pointless thing you have to deal with. Since why are they not able to be backed up like save files in the first place? I have an easier time just go: poof installed, play. I don't even need to log into PSN. I have to change my HDD. And just reinstalled my 10 games, within the hour. While I had none of the internet configed.

Evenutally, patches and the PS3 will be fully hacked. I'll just ahve to backup patches and DLC files. VS that and all the games. Even the convenience of downloading and loading a game from the menu, will become an issue. Because games will get bigger and bigger. You'll just be downloading and deleting more and more often. Or having to need 5 HDD's for games. It's the same issue. But just with HDD, and not cards/discs. Streaming is even worse. Think of what EA did with origin. Their games aren't on steam. So you want to pay $10 for EA, $10 UBI? Beacause any company could pull the same stunt.

This example is worse. I pay $5 extra to have my local TV stations on my cable boxes DVR. So I can record them. That means I'm paying money to CBS. Now, CBS wants $5 for me to be able to watch the next Star Trek show on their streaming only shit. So... I have to pay two times, to watch things from one company. Not to mention, one SINGLE show. Screw off. Wait for the bluray, done with my money. In 3 days, of this post. Doctor Who is being removed from Netflix. I don't have to deal with that bullshit, with discs.