By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you quit Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

Would you quite Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

yes 197 44.57%

no 245 55.43%

Total:442

my only concern is being able to backup all the patches and games easily. Don't want this shit of having to install it on the SYSTEM drive then have to backup the whole drive.

INstall on Externals with DLC pack which can be moved freely between hdds and work on any console.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Do you know how many times I've transfered my Metroid NES cart since I was given it 30 years ago? Zero. No jumping through hoops, no constant worrying about a HDD crash. No worrying about Nintendo shutting down servers SHOULD the HDD crash... just a cart... sitting on a shelf.

That will eventually stop working as all old hardware units have a end life to them.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Nope, every game I bought last year was digital so I'm pretty much used to it now :P

BasilZero said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Do you know how many times I've transfered my Metroid NES cart since I was given it 30 years ago? Zero. No jumping through hoops, no constant worrying about a HDD crash. No worrying about Nintendo shutting down servers SHOULD the HDD crash... just a cart... sitting on a shelf.

That will eventually stop working as all old hardware units have a end life to them.

It'll work longer than either of us will.

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

If you kept it in storage and never used it, then it would be as if it were broken anyway because you'd never see/play it.

I mean, I do use it. If I were to spend some time without playing with it (i.e: some months), I'd storage it for the time being.

I really doubt you'll be able to play those in 30 years on that console. I have a bunch of 360 games too, but it's only a matter of time before they're gone for good. Microsoft will shut the servers down soon like they did the original Xbox and then, we're only going to be able to access them for as long as our HDD's work. And if you do like the poster above said and transfer the saves over to a new HDD for 360, that's only going to work for as long as we can get our hands on a working HDD. Microsoft is not going to make them forever.

Overall, I realize now the error of buying so many digital titles back in 2005-2009. I don't do that anymore.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
What is the principle difference between a game being stored on a hard drive or a Bluray, its digital storage either way? Or is it streaming that is the issue?

I have control over the property more so than the company. The device is discontinued. I keep my stuff and I want to use it. If it's on disc. Only the patches. Which is another pointless thing you have to deal with. Since why are they not able to be backed up like save files in the first place? I have an easier time just go: poof installed, play. I don't even need to log into PSN. I have to change my HDD. And just reinstalled my 10 games, within the hour. While I had none of the internet configed.

Evenutally, patches and the PS3 will be fully hacked. I'll just ahve to backup patches and DLC files. VS that and all the games. Even the convenience of downloading and loading a game from the menu, will become an issue. Because games will get bigger and bigger. You'll just be downloading and deleting more and more often. Or having to need 5 HDD's for games. It's the same issue. But just with HDD, and not cards/discs. Streaming is even worse. Think of what EA did with origin. Their games aren't on steam. So you want to pay $10 for EA, $10 UBI? Beacause any company could pull the same stunt.

This example is worse. I pay $5 extra to have my local TV stations on my cable boxes DVR. So I can record them. That means I'm paying money to CBS. Now, CBS wants $5 for me to be able to watch the next Star Trek show on their streaming only shit. So... I have to pay two times, to watch things from one company. Not to mention, one SINGLE show. Screw off. Wait for the bluray, done with my money. In 3 days, of this post. Doctor Who is being removed from Netflix. I don't have to deal with that bullshit, with discs.

AlfredoTurkey said:
BasilZero said:

l0l

Yeah, NES cartridges and the NES system are immortal - dat nintendo seal of quality yo.

Basil's YouTube Channel

BasilZero said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

l0l

Yeah, NES cartridges and the NES system are immortal - dat nintendo seal of quality yo.

Maitenance includes blowing into cartridge every 6 months. Gently caress cartridge with your tongue nightly and it will never ever break on you

#1 Amb-ass-ador

A lot more of my money would go retro, that's for sure. I wouldn't quit playing altogether, but I would wait for sales. No pre-orders...

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: First Look! RetroTINK 2X Multiformat Preview - Bit-Sized, Episode 5

Nope. I already buy a proportion of my games digitally. Whether it be via PSN+ monthly "free" games. Or because there are specials on the PSN store / Steam.

I never buy new release games digitally because new release games are always cheaper to buy physical for PS4. And I have never bought a new release PC game.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix