By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Passes 200m Software Sales!!

Great sales!!! Could be the second console to break one billion software and it could beat PS2 and become the number one console in software!!!

Around the Network
Chazore said:
JetSetter said:

Thanks for being the voice of reason in this regard. I think that a instance where the Big 3 are neck and neck and constantly being pressured to edge each other out is most ideal for the industry and would help foster growth. Instead we have one that is so far ahead that I can't help but think this will bring more harm than good. 

Also another sign of industry health could also be seen in software being sold. The more variety the better I say. But when I can damn near predict NPD month after month, it just gets a little disheartening. 

I mean to say that back in the era of the PS1-2 I enjoyed both but now looking back I see that things were not always as peachy and keen and especially with this gen I can see doubt from the other two sides along with not being able to catch up or outpace those made up expectations and I really just don't like the overall results with a gen like that because honestly it really only benefits the one who wins, I mean they did say "history is written by the victors" so of course the victor and their followers will naturally claim that what they did was right and just and is a good thing without even looking at the whole picture, it took a few decades for people around the world to really notice how despite winning WWII the devastation the US laid to Japan wasn't always a good thing yet at the time they celebrated and were happy with it but now we get the big picture (sorry for diverting).

Overall though I prefer a gen when things are at an even pace because all 3 are doing something that manage to wow and impress some people along with drawing folk from one side to another and often times both if not all 3, this gen it's radically different and it;s clear that one is benefiting the most, sells the most and has the most users and devs while one sits in the middle to be forever ridiculed from what transpired in the past and the general stigma attached to them with the 3rd doing rather poorly in most areas and not being able to live up to their userbases expectations let alone their own, to me that just paints a really depressing generation of gaming and it's largely why I decided to opt out of it for the most part, last gen had me since the start to around the end of 2012.

Also something to consider is that the more we get of this gen for each gen, the more likely we are to seeing competition dying off or moving off platform which ideally bolsters the one already winning to a point where nothing can topple them and again that breeds a monopoly and kills any further competition and in general is bad for the industry as a whole.

As for your NPD predictions I can agree with that, each month I can easily see who sells the most or moves the most units, people will say things will change but ever since 2013 I knew this gen was on lock down and the same results will keep repeating themselves for the entirety of this gen and that to me is quire depressing because it means the other two will always lose, always do worse and never catch up and it's already a basic fact at this point which I;m not going to argue because each NPD and overall sales speak for themselves.

That's an odd comparison. It's just video games. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Chazore said:
daredevil.shark said:

We have had situation in industry when PS1 and PS2 had monopoly and nothing bad happened to the industry itself. As for this gen PC has already proved its success and prevented PS4 dominance. As of now all third party developers are focused on big 3 (PS4, Xbox One and PC) and Nintendo is not in that list.

Back then if you recall the market was different, in those times there was no proper internet communities like the ones you see today, no core of online gaming let alone digital gaming and of course today we have advanced in visuals a lot more than those two gens alone. Times, they change things, especially since those two were also around way before the 08 crash.

PC hasn't prevented anything as the markets are and work differently. The only difference is more people have noticed that money is easily made on PC and with it having nailed down digital gaming (while consoles are just getting the hang of it) granting further exposure. In the console space though you cannot deny that Sony has dominated this gen completely in terms of sales, units, sofwtare sales both digital and physical along with most devs on board, the end of this gen will be akin to Order 66, not even the younglings would survive.

We had a Monopoly with GameBoy, with Playstation 1, Playstation 2, and were one of the Best Systems ever, Monopoly in Gaming is Different from Monopoly in other industries, is Like Someone Trying to Sell a TV Service, they will want to make you Stay as long as Possible and will do their Best to make it, they Not make  much Money from the Devices, but from the Software.

The Only Bad thing is Microsoft, on Number 1, so there i Agree that a Monopoly would be Terrible, but a Monopoly from Sony, or Nintendo, would not be a Bad Thing, they Can even make Square Enix,  Bandai Namco, and Capcom, release games that are Exclusive for Japan, Another Monopoly that we Have(or had) in Gaming.

Counter Strike, is the PC Best Seller in the Shooter Genre.

League of Legends, have more than Twice the users than Dota 2, and is the Most Played game Today.

We had the Monopoly of World of Warcraft, for the MMORPG Genre, and World of Warcraft, is the Most Played game to Date, now we Also have Guild Wars, that have a Lot of Players.

Dr.Vita said:
Great sales!!! Could be the second console to break one billion software and it could beat PS2 and become the number one console in software!!!

People Buy more Software Today than Ever, and i think that Before the End of 2018, Playstation 4, Already will be Beating the Playstation 1, Life time sales.

We need to Know how Playstation VR, will Affect the Hardware, and Software sales, The Future is Unclear.

Sony Computer Entertainment confirmed that more than 35 million units of software were sold through to end users between November 23rd 2015 and January 3rd 2016. This number includes sales via digital download.

VGChartz have PlayStation 4 software sell through (retail only) at 42 million units between November 22nd and December 26th 2015. (This is with a week to go)

So it's very unlikely that VGChartz numbers are correct.

Another example,

Sony Computer Entertainment confirmed that 80.8 million units of software (inc Digital) had been sold through to end users as of the end of 2014. VGChartz, who only track retail sales have their number the same.

It seems to me that once again this is more proof not to trust the numbers here.

Around the Network
ZhugeEX said:
Sony Computer Entertainment confirmed that more than 35 million units of software were sold through to end users between November 23rd 2015 and January 3rd 2016. This number includes sales via digital download.

VGChartz have PlayStation 4 software sell through (retail only) at 42 million units between November 22nd and December 26th 2015. (This is with a week to go)

Another example,

Sony Computer Entertainment confirmed that 80.8 million units of software (inc Digital) had been sold through to end users as of the end of 2014. VGChartz, who only track retail sales have their number the same.

It seems to me that once again this is more proof not to trust the numbers here.

SoEverything is Overtracked ?, i was Thinking the same here, i think that they Overtracked the Xbox One, by over 5 Millions Units,  Is Hard to get those numbers so give some credit for VG Chartz, not Every Source is 100% Accurated and they are Making what they can to give The Closest Guesses of how much Each One Sold.

And VG Chartz, are not the Only ones that not Verify their Sources, in the "Xbox One Sell Better on Latin America", you Listed the Revenue to say who sold more Units, while Xbox One, were 200US$ More Expensive on the Only Market that Purchase Something via Legal Sources.

and Also you Picked up a Source that said "Xbox 360, had 85% of Market Share on Brazil", I Live Here and was no where near 85%, we Purchase like 10% via Legal Sources, and 90% via Other Countries, and you Know that Playstation 3, Launched with a Ridiculous price of 4200US$, on Brazil ?, How do you Expect Playstation 3, to Win via Official Sources ?, Even the Nintendo Wii, had more than 15% Market Share on Brazil, so Playstation 3, had 0,00% ?.

Just Admit it, Neither you or VG Chartz, are Flawless. 

Swordmasterman said:
ZhugeEX said:

Another example,

What are you even talking about?

My point is that VGChartz numbers don't match to what Sony Computer Entertainment have said in their official press release. 

What does this have to do with me? 

Chazore said:
Ruler said:

Thelldo fine, just like they did during the PS1 and PS2 era which are considered the best generations by most gamers

Only by those that loved the brand.

So?  ask nintendo fans today how they liked the N64 and the Gamecube and their games? Ask Xbox owners who started with the first one how they liked the original Xbox? they will tell you those are all better than the 360 and Wii, fact

ZhugeEX said:
Swordmasterman said:

My point is that VGChartz numbers don't match to what Sony Computer Entertainment have said in their official press release. 

Does vgchartz track digital?

Aeolus451 said:
ZhugeEX said:

Does vgchartz track digital?

Nope, 

There isn't a reliable way to track digital sales.