By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Passes 200m Software Sales!!

This is less than you'd expect of the market leader, and in a heavily contracted market from Gen 7 too with a lopsided population distribution.

Around the Network

Digital sales reign supreme,physical software is leaving!

Xd.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

It also seems the ps4 and xb1 have passed the wii u in tie-ratio.

Wait, I think people don't trust numbers anymore? What about the topics which said VGC would not have accurate numbers? Or are they only trustworthy in software numbers but not in hardware numbers?

Chazore said:
AEGRO said:
The industry is healthier when Playstation is on top. Numbers reflect that.

The Playstation 4 is a beast!!!

Great numbers indeed but how does that equate to the industry being healthy than when the industry has it's competitiors being neck and neck?.

I mean from my pov things don't look healthy for MS or Ninty at all, more bleack actually and bleak for their fans too.

I would imagine things being healthier when all 3 are at their best, when all 3 have great numbers, games and userbases, I prefder when things are fair and everyone is a winner than one.

Thanks for being the voice of reason in this regard. I think that a instance where the Big 3 are neck and neck and constantly being pressured to edge each other out is most ideal for the industry and would help foster growth. Instead we have one that is so far ahead that I can't help but think this will bring more harm than good. 

Also another sign of industry health could also be seen in software being sold. The more variety the better I say. But when I can damn near predict NPD month after month, it just gets a little disheartening. 

Around the Network

With the increase of digital sales with PS4 the numbers here aren't painting the full picture compared to previous generations.

Chazore said:
AEGRO said:
The industry is healthier when Playstation is on top. Numbers reflect that.

The Playstation 4 is a beast!!!

Great numbers indeed but how does that equate to the industry being healthy than when the industry has it's competitiors being neck and neck?.

I mean from my pov things don't look healthy for MS or Ninty at all, more bleack actually and bleak for their fans too.

I would imagine things being healthier when all 3 are at their best, when all 3 have great numbers, games and userbases, I prefder when things are fair and everyone is a winner than one.

We have had situation in industry when PS1 and PS2 had monopoly and nothing bad happened to the industry itself. As for this gen PC has already proved its success and prevented PS4 dominance. As of now all third party developers are focused on big 3 (PS4, Xbox One and PC) and Nintendo is not in that list.

Amazing figures, congratulations Sony ! The King is Back.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

JetSetter said:

Thanks for being the voice of reason in this regard. I think that a instance where the Big 3 are neck and neck and constantly being pressured to edge each other out is most ideal for the industry and would help foster growth. Instead we have one that is so far ahead that I can't help but think this will bring more harm than good. 

Also another sign of industry health could also be seen in software being sold. The more variety the better I say. But when I can damn near predict NPD month after month, it just gets a little disheartening. 

I mean to say that back in the era of the PS1-2 I enjoyed both but now looking back I see that things were not always as peachy and keen and especially with this gen I can see doubt from the other two sides along with not being able to catch up or outpace those made up expectations and I really just don't like the overall results with a gen like that because honestly it really only benefits the one who wins, I mean they did say "history is written by the victors" so of course the victor and their followers will naturally claim that what they did was right and just and is a good thing without even looking at the whole picture, it took a few decades for people around the world to really notice how despite winning WWII the devastation the US laid to Japan wasn't always a good thing yet at the time they celebrated and were happy with it but now we get the big picture (sorry for diverting).

Overall though I prefer a gen when things are at an even pace because all 3 are doing something that manage to wow and impress some people along with drawing folk from one side to another and often times both if not all 3, this gen it's radically different and it;s clear that one is benefiting the most, sells the most and has the most users and devs while one sits in the middle to be forever ridiculed from what transpired in the past and the general stigma attached to them with the 3rd doing rather poorly in most areas and not being able to live up to their userbases expectations let alone their own, to me that just paints a really depressing generation of gaming and it's largely why I decided to opt out of it for the most part, last gen had me since the start to around the end of 2012.

Also something to consider is that the more we get of this gen for each gen, the more likely we are to seeing competition dying off or moving off platform which ideally bolsters the one already winning to a point where nothing can topple them and again that breeds a monopoly and kills any further competition and in general is bad for the industry as a whole.

As for your NPD predictions I can agree with that, each month I can easily see who sells the most or moves the most units, people will say things will change but ever since 2013 I knew this gen was on lock down and the same results will keep repeating themselves for the entirety of this gen and that to me is quire depressing because it means the other two will always lose, always do worse and never catch up and it's already a basic fact at this point which I;m not going to argue because each NPD and overall sales speak for themselves.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

daredevil.shark said:

We have had situation in industry when PS1 and PS2 had monopoly and nothing bad happened to the industry itself. As for this gen PC has already proved its success and prevented PS4 dominance. As of now all third party developers are focused on big 3 (PS4, Xbox One and PC) and Nintendo is not in that list.

Back then if you recall the market was different, in those times there was no proper internet communities like the ones you see today, no core of online gaming let alone digital gaming and of course today we have advanced in visuals a lot more than those two gens alone. Times, they change things, especially since those two were also around way before the 08 crash.

PC hasn't prevented anything as the markets are and work differently. The only difference is more people have noticed that money is easily made on PC and with it having nailed down digital gaming (while consoles are just getting the hang of it) granting further exposure. In the console space though you cannot deny that Sony has dominated this gen completely in terms of sales, units, sofwtare sales both digital and physical along with most devs on board, the end of this gen will be akin to Order 66, not even the younglings would survive.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"