By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Durability: Ever Have Any Console Break On You?

Tagged games:

Has any of your consoles ever broken down?

Yes 152 66.09%

No 78 33.91%

Total:230

My first Wii U, which I bought on launch day, broke on me a month later, so the warranty from the store still applied. Also earlier this year my beloved Gamecube all of sudden became dysfunctional and basically corrupted all the existing data on the memory cards and wrote corrupted data on to new memory cards. Unfortunately I had to put it down and give it away for parts so it could live on :/

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Yes it was high, but no it wasn't near as high as RROD, don't pretend that is true... from what I recollect PS2 was around 5-10% and X360 around 30% at the launch models time, hardly equal.

There aren't any official figures available for either. But I have heard numbers ranging in 10-25% for Ps2 and 30-40% for initial 360. either way they were both terrible for failure rates. once you get into double digit percentages you will find many people with lots of repeated failed devices. funnily enough I still have my original fat X360, it was actually a later thin one that failed for me, others you will find had many failures. hell I had 2 ps2's fail on me and at that time I really didn't play consoles much.

Gamecube is the only system that ever broke for me. Piece of junk, with (mostly) crappy, disappointing games, so not a huge loss. Especially with Wii being backwards compatible so I could still play Paper Mario and Melee.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Well, considering that I put a lot of playtime into most of my consoles, they eventually all break. Every single one.

Consoles that I have owned
NES
SNES
N64
PS1
PS2
PS3
Xbox (original)
Sega Saturn

nanarchy said:
DonFerrari said:                                       

Yes it was high, but no it wasn't near as high as RROD, don't pretend that is true... from what I recollect PS2 was around 5-10% and X360 around 30% at the launch models time, hardly equal.

There aren't any official figures available for either. But I have heard numbers ranging in 10-25% for Ps2 and 30-40% for initial 360. either way they were both terrible for failure rates. once you get into double digit percentages you will find many people with lots of repeated failed devices. funnily enough I still have my original fat X360, it was actually a later thin one that failed for me, others you will find had many failures. hell I had 2 ps2's fail on me and at that time I really didn't play consoles much.

No official figures, but the reports on internet are there and only the uppermost PS2 and lowermost of X360 would be close while the other extremes are 4:1... anyway they aren't the same.

And the reason for the question is only listing Playstation consoles and using a unrelated info to give a jab on the console. And cobretti isn't the most sony favourable guy over here. My PS2 started failing but still worked when I lent and it were repairred by my friend.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Only time I've had one "break" on me was when Brawl came out. It was a common issue because Brawl was a dual layer disc, meaning it was harder for the laser to read the disc, and because my Wii was generally on the ground, it gathered more dust than normal, so after a few weeks, my Wii stopped reading Brawl, and for some reason, other games too. Had to send it in to Nintendo for them to replace the disc drive. Luckily, since it was a common issue, it was free.

@DonFerrari

There is no way the original PS2, (Non Slim Model), only had 5-10% failure rate. I knew one person. That didn't have their original model PS2 fail. They settle the class action suit for a reason. Before the 360, the PS2 was by far the most unreliable console.

Console breaks after a long time whit no use.
PS2, all other ok.

Console breaks while i'm still using.
Xbox 360.

only DS so far. First the hinge and now the thing won't work anymore for some reason.

DonFerrari said:

Well...

http://web.archive.org/web/20110208143421/http://www.reviewmatic.com/?p=366

It is the closest thing you will get to a site reporting this...