By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Durability: Ever Have Any Console Break On You?

Tagged games:

Has any of your consoles ever broken down?

Yes 152 66.09%

No 78 33.91%

Total:230

Went through 4 RROD'S in a 6 month period with the 360 - will never buy another Microsoft console again.

Around the Network

the original xb360 which lasted 4 month.

My PS2 and PS3 both have broke. My PS4 is showing signs of an eventual death as well. I'm worried...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

My PS2 slim conked out on me back in like 2008 due to that common laser error. Not a huge deal since they were dirt cheap, so my parents picked one up a few months later. Funnily enough, my stepdad's old launch day PS2 works like a dream.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

All the fat PS3s and X360s.

What an unreliable generation...

Around the Network

No, I have to say that I've been very lucky not having any consoles I ever owned breaking on me. But as for PC's absolutely, quite a few times over the years...

The only console I have ever had truly break is the PS2 Disc-read thing. Otherwise my N64, Genisis, Gamecube, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, GBA, GBC, and replacement PS2 are still working great!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

ps_wiro said:
No, I have to say that I've been very lucky not having any consoles I ever owned breaking on me. But as for PC's absolutely, quite a few times over the years...

Hey brotha' every PC gamer has had something break before.  That's what makes me laugh so much at people who started complaining when PS3's broke 5 years after they got it - as if that makes it comparible to the 360!  A console breaking in under a year is one thing, but 5 years is frankly completely standard.

I mean what PC has had Zero GPU, Motherboard, HDD, RAM, and PSU problems for 5 years straight?!?!?!   i mean it happens, but not at cheap console prices!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

I've owned loads of consoles, these are the ones I have had issues with, memory might be a little fuzzy on some:

PSone - Went through three, first two died due to disc drive wearing out, presumably due to extensive, borderline sad levels of use. I blame FF8, THPS, and GT2.

Dreamcast - The first two I owned, the controller ports shorted out. Apparently this was not an uncommon problem. I also shorted one out myself trying to mod it to play the Japanese version of MvsC2 and Sega GT that I had ordered online. I also wore out the disc drive on a 4th one, again due to massive overuse. I blame Phantasy Star Online, NFL2k1, and Unreal Tournament.

PS2 - I eventually had to replace one due to the DRE, a common problem for PS2's it seemed. Could also chock this up potentially to it just wearing out due to me wearing it out. I blame SOCOM II.

360 - I went through three of these. The first two due, of course, to RROD. lol, I remember being so excited about getting the first "repair" back, I could finally rejoin all my coworkers in our nightly late night Search & Destroy CoD4 marathons. I unpacked it, hooked it up, 10 minutes later it was flashing RROD again. Second "repair" lasted a few days I think. Finally the third console they sent back was actually a new model and never gave me any troubles.

Xbone - My Xbox One died recently and to be honest idk if I am going to pay for the repair or if I am done with MS. I hit up support because one game was making my console lag and would barely load, all other apps and games were just fine. The agent directed me to the Xbone offline diagnostic tool page and basically just told me good luck and that's all the help I got. I followed his instructions and it didn't work. But then, neither did my console. After days of talking with support I was told to try another file system off the page, no dice. I was then told by an agent that I was originally given bad repair support and told the wrong thing and that as a result my console was bricked and MS would be happy to pay for the repair. I sent it in as instructed, then a few days later got an email from someone at the repair center saying they had my unit but no repair order. So I talk to support again and then they say the other agent was wrong, it isn't their fault the unit bricked, and I don't get a free repair. I told them to send it back, that I wouldn't pay to fix their mistake. Someone from escalated support contacted me and she is supposedly trying to work out some sort of courtesy repair. If they honor their word, cool, I will continue to support them over my PS4 since I like the UI and controller more. If not, fuck em, I have a PS4 and will buy a secondary backup PS4 before I'd spend $100+ to fix their mistake.

PS4 - No console issues, but the controller is a hot mess.

By the way, I think the most durable console I have ever owned is the Genesis. Mine was submerged for hours in a flood but as soon as I dried it out I was back to playing NBA Jam just fine.

Over the years I have worn out four NESes, 1 SNES, 1 N64, 1 Dreamcast, 2 PSPs, 1 360, 1 PS3 and 3 PCs. I also managed to break an Atari 2600. I'm probably forgetting a few and who knows if my current systems still work.