By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

There are a lot of similarities, but if you really pay attention, a foundation is being built for the next episodes to be completely different. While I did scratch my head at the similarities, Force Awakens in an excellent movie and I fully expect the next two to be much different than any of the other Star Wars. I expect great things in the future.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:

You don't have to utilize the same concepts and plotlines in order to present interesting character relationships and to 'embrace the history'. TFA was not embracing history, it was a complete replica.

rep·li·ca

ˈrepləkə/

noun

an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale.

"a replica of the Empire State Building"

synonyms: copy, carbon copy, model, duplicate, reproduction, replication; More

a duplicate of an original artistic work.

You don't end your accusations with a complete lie, sis. Not that way, you gotta hand them receipts like a fatality.

kurasakiichimaru said:
Guitarguy said:

You don't have to utilize the same concepts and plotlines in order to present interesting character relationships and to 'embrace the history'. TFA was not embracing history, it was a complete replica.

rep·li·ca

ˈrepləkə/

noun

You don't end your accusations with a complete lie, sis. Not that way, you gotta hand them receipts like a fatality.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/replica

a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.
any close or exact copy or reproduction.

I can cherry pick definitions too princess.

Those ATRL members need to go.

Guitarguy said:
AZWification said:

I'd rather have a New Hope rip-off than a movie as "amazing" as The Phantom Menace. Besides, Episode VIII won't play it as safe as Episode VII.

We don't know that yet :P This is Disney we are talking about here ;) Hope you are right though. And Phantom Menace did suck.

Abrams literally just said the next two would be much different and that they just wanted a similar jumping point.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Having seen this last night, I may not have bothered knowing that it was going to use all the same broad plot points as A New Hope.

I mean, I didn't hate it.  It's just reading reviews and what not saying "it captures the spirit of the original movies", I didn't think it'd literally be a revisiting of the previous movies, right down to not-the-rebels destroying not-the-deathstar.

I also found that the world-building was particularly uninspired.  I mean, the prequels annoyed me as much as the next guy, but at least Lucas created some unique, memorable locations in there (Naboo; Kamino; Mustafar).  We had desert planet and snowy planet (that is also not-the-deathstar) and forest with a bar in it, except none of them were close to being as visually striking as anything from the original or prequel trilogies.

(While I'm at it, I also rolled my eyes at that patented JJ Abrams moment of destroying something to show the power of the bad guys - it was Vulcan in Star Trek which at least we had some connection to, whereas Republic HQ when we've literally just been re-introduced to the Republic had no emotional attachment).

Wright said:

I like his Star Trek movies. He pulled out that parallel universe not to conflict with the originals, and so he's good to do whatever he wants without screwing up the legacy. Also, I found them entertaining to watch.

I love the Star Trek TV series', and I can safely say that I really enjoyed what he did with the first film - it was very well handled, in my opinion.  Which makes it such a shame that Into Darkness was handled the way it was.  Beyond is looking dodgy too, I have to say.

Azuren said:
Guitarguy said:

We don't know that yet :P This is Disney we are talking about here ;) Hope you are right though. And Phantom Menace did suck.

Abrams literally just said the next two would be much different and that they just wanted a similar jumping point.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Guitarguy said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
Guitarguy said:

rep·li·ca

ˈrepləkə/

noun

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/replica

a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.
any close or exact copy or reproduction.

I can cherry pick definitions too princess.

And???

coolbeans said:
AZWification said:

I'd rather have a New Hope rip-off than a movie as "amazing" as The Phantom Menace. Besides, Episode VIII won't play it as safe as Episode VII.

I'm kind of surprised how easily people jump to this kind of excuse to distance criticism.  

"Step right up and get the regurgitated visual aesthetics and setup that you loved back in '77!  Okay...maybe in the next sequel we'll try to be daring and creative."  

I didn't say that TFA doesn't deserve some of the criticism it has got. I was just saying that I'm happy that we got that instead of another movie as bad as any of the prequels. After all, it's still better than Episodes I-III.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

coolbeans said:
AZWification said:

I'm kind of surprised how easily people jump to this kind of excuse to distance criticism.  

"Step right up and get the regurgitated visual aesthetics and setup that you loved back in '77!  Okay...maybe in the next sequel we'll try to be daring and creative."  

Being completely ''new'' got The Amazing Spiderman Reboot and Andrew Garfield's career to where though?

Being completely ''new'' got The Star Wars Prequel Films and Hayden's career and George Lucas' ownership of Star Wars Universe to where again?