By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

AZWification said:
coolbeans said:

I'm kind of surprised how easily people jump to this kind of excuse to distance criticism.  

"Step right up and get the regurgitated visual aesthetics and setup that you loved back in '77!  Okay...maybe in the next sequel we'll try to be daring and creative."  

I didn't say that TFA doesn't deserve some of the criticism it has got. I was just saying that I'm happy that we got that instead of another movie as bad as any of the prequels. After all, it's still better than Episodes I-III.

The prequels are some of the few movies with reviews that actually top them in entertainment value :D

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaru said:

Being completely ''new'' got The Amazing Spiderman Reboot and Andrew Garfield's career to where though?

I'm sorry, but what?  The biggest problem with those films was that they treaded the same ground we'd only seen a few years prior.

And we're hardly in a position to evaluate to evaluate the later careers of the leads of this Star Wars film.

Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I'm fine with starting over and making a more official universe instead of the pseudo-official EU. 

And I hear you. Rey was the only part of the movie I disliked. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Haters gonna hate. Congrats for the success. Waiting for ep 8 and 9.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
AZWification said:

Being completely ''new'' got The Amazing Spiderman Reboot and Andrew Garfield's career to where though?

Being completely ''new'' got The Star Wars Prequel Films and Hayden's career and George Lucas' ownership of Star Wars Universe to where again?

1.) How in the hell do you figure The Amazing Spiderman Reboot was anything "new?"  It ripped a boatload of stuff from Raimi's Spiderman film.

2.) I'm kind of confused with what you're suggesting.  How can the "newness" of something be considered the connective tissue that harmed someone's acting career + the creator selling his company for billions?  "New" shouldn't be the issue, it's how they delivered on said new ideas.  

It probably didn't rip off enough like the former main casts the botched continuity no one wants to delve into and expanding its plot points  that nobody asked for.

And you defined TFA as a replica. The fact you have a wild definition for TFA hurts your argument and thinking nostalgia as if it's a bad thing and something that isn't new really gives me nothing but some impressions of a person who is atry hard to be edgy guy who doesn't like what other people like cause reasons...

There's a reason no one's inviting Hayden Christensen and George Lucas to the same war room where the new ones running the business are.

sabvre42 said:

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

kurasakiichimaru said:

I think their problem is not that she is a powerful female jedi, but how fast she seems to have become one.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:

ROFL - did you really just pull the fucking sexism card? I shit you not, what you just said is probably the most ignorant post I have seen on this entire website since i started browsing it like 6 years ago. Seriously, you just straight pissed me the fuck off.

I would have been butt hurt if it was a male too. The whole concept of the force requires people to learn to use it over time through training and experience. You don't suddenly gain Jedi mastery instaneously. It doesn't matter if its a male OR a female.

Please, for the love of god do not enter threads like this and throw the sexism card just because you want to. (Also note - I have two daughters and strongly appreciate movies and games with a strong female leads).

kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:

Boy, I hope that was a joke.