By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does Sony hate the BEST feature of all time?! Backwards Compatibility....

Do you agree?

Yes 40 16.81%

No 60 25.21%

I don't care 45 18.91%

See Results... 9 3.78%

I have XboxOne/WiiU/PC... 13 5.46%

Yes, but It's not that big of a deal... 18 7.56%

No, it's not that big of a deal... 53 22.27%

Total:238

This is the ONLY thing I HATE about Sony home consoles, is theres NO Backwards Comp!!! Like sure it cost money to add emulation on Consoles but look at its competitors!  THEY have it! This is a feature that Ninteno has that makes their consoles look so good! I still have my PS3 to play PS3 games, if PS4 had B.C. I would've sold my PS3 to buy MORE PS4 games which will bump up Sony's revenue. I already made a thread about how not having Backwards Comp. is hurting Sony financially. Sony has a chance to MAKE the PERFECT console ever! You know what the last perfect console was??....  THE PS2! Normal controller(taking a shot at Nintendo's wacky gimmicks) Backwards Comp (taking shot at PS3), Good games,  Updated graphics, and full of good features! It's just as frustrating as Nintendo's failure of keeping up with current hardware annd Microsoft's  expensive prices. Sony please open your eyes!

Sure Sony announced "ps2 on ps4 games! we gave you what you wanted!"... no you didnt!! We STILL CANT put our PS2 games in our PS4 and play them, you are FORCING us to REBUY games with this "added features" thing. we would STILL be able to use the shareplay, livestream and so on! You are FORCING us to pay for games we ALREADY own. All we ask for is for us to put our physical games WE ALREADY OWN in a physical PS4 and play them! No repurchasing them via Give Us your money PSN store. You KNOW what we are talking about. You KNOW what we want. In the mean time you are EMBARRASSING yourselves with no Backwards Compat.

Sure we can just keep playing our games on our PS3/2 right?!..... My PS2 broke and I still have ALL the games, even though if it was still working, I would've been still pissed off, because WE ALL WANT the all in 1 console. I don't want to take my PS2 games out of my closet just to play it. I would rather just play it on my PS4. I WANT to sell my PS3 and its a waste of space on keeping it just to play old games.       

They ALSO have this stupid excuse of saying "Remastered so people who haven't played this game can enjoy it", SURE DO THAT, THAT IS ALRIGHT WITH ME. but that does NOTHING for me who already owns the game!! I dont care if its upscaled HD resolution either. Isn't it already upscaled on my HD tv anyways?? 

Also another thing, theres people STILL OUT THERE who still plays PS3 for the PS3 online games. Xbox Phil Spencer even said this about the 360. Players are still holding onto there last gen systems, but with backwards comp. being here, they will switchto new gen and still play their favorite games. Same goes for PS3 users     

... Why does EVERY Gaming Company have 1 HUGE CON?! Making the PERFECT Console is EASILY possible.   

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Actually I prefer the way they are doing it.

I'll gladly pay for 1080 and trophies. Well that is if I actually cared about BC. I mean I got my ps4 to play ps4 games.. not ps2 games.

Have you seen what ps2 games look like on the OG ps3? They look horrible. They wouldn't look any better on the ps4.

They didnt look horrible. You also had the smoothing option.

But fine Ill buy Demons Souls Remastered on PS4.......where can I buy it?

They want to resell games and make as much money of it because they know people want to play older games. They should do something about this because as time goes by people will come to the realization that they could play older games on the competition like the Wii u and Xbox one.

Bandorr said:
Actually I prefer the way they are doing it.

I'll gladly pay for 1080 and trophies. Well that is if I actually cared about BC. I mean I got my ps4 to play ps4 games.. not ps2 games.

Have you seen what ps2 games look like on the OG ps3? They look horrible. They wouldn't look any better on the ps4.

There's a realistic possibility that ps2 games could not only be booted from the disc, but uprezzed with better textures on the fly as well with practically no additional coding aside from what goes into the emulator. The dolphin emulator for Wii is proof of that.

I really feel the importance of backwards compatability is overstated. Maybe it's a result of me not buying into the next gen before I'm fully done with last gen, so when I get my new console, I only play the new games on it. There are some games I go back to, but I'm okay with using my PS3 for those. After all, that's why I bought my PS3; to play PS3 games. When I buy my PS4, I won't be buying it to play PS3 games, I'll be buying it to play PS4 games. And I equate PS2 Classics to the Nintendo Virtual Console. It's not meant as backwards compatability, and no ones forcing you to buy them again if you own the PS2 discs.

TL;DR to me, no backwards compatability is barely a mild nuisance (honestly, not even that), and I'm pretty sure most people think the same way (hence why the PS4 has sold approx. twice as much as its closest competitor). For the few people that really want to play their PS2 games on their PS4, yes, I can understand that it might be annoying, but how many people are in that situation? As for PS3 games, it simply won't happen because it's too hard to emulate. The PS3's CPU is (substantially) more powerful than the PS4's, and the architecture is too exotic for the PS4 to be able to emulate it. Be realistic.

Wow, my TL DR was just as long as my original post lmao

Around the Network

Because they make more money without it. Remember, it was Sony who original said that BC was going to be a staple of the PS brand forever. But as soon as Wii showed everyone that selling old games was new business, that changed pretty quickly. The whole "we can sell you a PS3 cheaper without it" thing was a ruse from day one.

It's pretty asinine to expect a console from 2013 to play games from 2000. Should your Blu-Ray player be expected to play VHS tapes? It's a nice feature and all (when the software emulation isn't trash: ex. Halo: Reach), but it's not something we need or should expect in consoles anymore.

Backwards Compatibility was and still is a acceptable loss.
The sales benefit from having a lower price outweighed the benefit of having a library of existing games.

That's the why, its all economics

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Wagram said:

It's pretty asinine to expect a console from 2015 to play games from 2000. Should your Blu-Ray player be expected to play VHS tapes? It's a nice feature and all (when the software emulation isn't trash: ex. Halo: Reach), but it's not something we need or should expect in consoles anymore.

The PS3 was released in 2006...

KLXVER said:
Wagram said:

It's pretty asinine to expect a console from 2013 to play games from 2000. Should your Blu-Ray player be expected to play VHS tapes? It's a nice feature and all (when the software emulation isn't trash: ex. Halo: Reach), but it's not something we need or should expect in consoles anymore.

The PS3 was released in 2006...

I posted the PS2 date, which was in fact 2000.