By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does Sony hate the BEST feature of all time?! Backwards Compatibility....

Do you agree?

Yes 40 16.81%

No 60 25.21%

I don't care 45 18.91%

See Results... 9 3.78%

I have XboxOne/WiiU/PC... 13 5.46%

Yes, but It's not that big of a deal... 18 7.56%

No, it's not that big of a deal... 53 22.27%

Total:238
Bandorr said:
Actually I prefer the way they are doing it.

I'll gladly pay for 1080 and trophies. Well that is if I actually cared about BC. I mean I got my ps4 to play ps4 games.. not ps2 games.

Have you seen what ps2 games look like on the OG ps3? They look horrible. They wouldn't look any better on the ps4.

This is patently incorrect. All my NTSC PS2 games looks vastly superior running on my US launch PS3 through HDMI on a HDTV than they did via composite through my PS2. Games like Rayman 2, Winback, MGS3, etc look like very early PS3 titles when running on PS3 because those games are upscaled from 480 resolution to 1080, are de-interlaced and take advantage of the loseless capabilities of the HDMI format.

Sure those native PS2 games(I'm talking the physical disks here, not the emulated counterparts put up on PSN to download) wouldn't look any better on PS4 compared to the launch NTSC PS3s, but they clean up bigtime over running composite(even component) on PS2.

Around the Network

Best feature is good games for the console they are producing.

They don't hate backwards compatibility, but they know you love it, and they know that a lot of people will pay for it even on a per-game basis.

Sony, if you're reading this, do something new with The Legend of Dragoon. You will make me a happy man. Thanks.

Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:
They want to resell games and make as much money of it because they know people want to play older games. They should do something about this because as time goes by people will come to the realization that they could play older games on the competition like the Wii u and Xbox one.

So as time goes by and MORE "current" games come out - you think people will actually be wanting to play OLDER games? They will want that to such a point that later on people will buy an xbox one or a Wii u(nx) not to play THOSE games.. but to play older games?

Little jimmy wants to play the next battlefield and he had a 360 and saw the xbox one has bc while the ps4 does not and since he had a 360 he bought the x1, but if the ps4 had bc with the ps3 he could relive the ps3s game without paying outrageous prices. 

Michelasso said:
You may have a point about the PS2 b/c on PS4. Technically there is nothing stopping Sony from doing like MS is doing, i.e. have the PS2 disc loaded to download and play the digital version of the PS2 game. If the PS2 disc isn't in the digital game won't start. Yes, the trophies add a cost since for each game they have to go through the locations where the trophies will pop up , the higher resolution not much, is already in the emulator and the games had to be tested anyway even at standard resolution.

Regarding the PS3 b/c instead you well know why it isn't there. The Cell CPU is a beast and it can't be emulated by the weak AMD CPU in the PS4. To add the PS3 b/c by HW would have raised the cost of the PS4 consistently. Sony took that route already with the PS3 and the market response had been negative. I strongly doubt a $500 PS4 with HW PS3 b/c would have sold 34 million or so in 2 years.

This.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:
Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:
They want to resell games and make as much money of it because they know people want to play older games. They should do something about this because as time goes by people will come to the realization that they could play older games on the competition like the Wii u and Xbox one.

So as time goes by and MORE "current" games come out - you think people will actually be wanting to play OLDER games? They will want that to such a point that later on people will buy an xbox one or a Wii u(nx) not to play THOSE games.. but to play older games?

Little jimmy wants to play the next battlefield and he had a 360 and saw the xbox one has bc while the ps4 does not and since he had a 360 he bought the x1, but if the ps4 had bc with the ps3 he could relive the ps3s game without paying outrageous prices. 

or he could play the next battlefield on his xbox one.. and his xbox 360 games on his xbox 360? Also shouldn't "little jimmy" worry more about playing the next battlefield, and then the other xbox one games.. and not worrying about playing the xbox 360 games he has already played? Several years after it has released with a large library - most worry about playing the new games on their new system.. not the old ones they have already played.

The argument would have made sense.. two years ago. It doesn't make much sense now, and certaintly makes no sense in say 2 more years.

Playing your last gen games on a current gen still makes a difference because you will have less space in your setup, and you get 360 games free with gold. 

don't really care tbh. I keep all my old console and play them the way they were made.

Sometimes I will buy remakaes though if they warrant a purchase.

While I would like the PS4 to have the ability to play PS2 games for me it is not a real problem since I still have my backwards compatible PS3 which still does a very good job of playing PS2 games. Of course with regard to playing PS1 games all PS2's and PS3's can do this but to be fair the display on a large HDTV leaves much to be desired although the gameplay has not changed.

Even if my BC PS3 failed and I could not repair it or get it repaired I would just use the PC emulator for the odd times when I feel like some nostalga.

Of course if I do really want to play a PS2 games on my PS4 that I don't have I do expect to pay for it although there is no way I would pay for PS2 games I allready have unless I want Trophies which although nice is not a selling point for me.

The PS4 was announced without backwards compatibility so bringing out PS2 BC after two years is a nice feature but IMHO not a console seller and I am quite happy playing PS4 games on my PS4.

I think Sony would do emulation PS3 emulation if possible. That Cell is a real pain in the ass.
But more importantly Sony spent like $500 million on PS Now. Now go use that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

PS2 could play PS1 games. PS3 could play PS1 and PS2 games. PS4 is the first consoles that does not have built in BC and they're currently doing stuff to work around that. 

SNES could not play NES games and nobody cared. N64 could not play SNES games and nobody cared. GC could not play N64 games and nobody cared. Fun fact: Sony was the first company of the big three to ever deliver BC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.