By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does Sony hate the BEST feature of all time?! Backwards Compatibility....

Do you agree?

Yes 40 16.81%

No 60 25.21%

I don't care 45 18.91%

See Results... 9 3.78%

I have XboxOne/WiiU/PC... 13 5.46%

Yes, but It's not that big of a deal... 18 7.56%

No, it's not that big of a deal... 53 22.27%

Total:238

They could make money selling a PS2 emulator...or make more money selling games individually. I'm curious how many PS4 owners have physical PS2 games but no PS2.

Around the Network
arcaneguyver said:
They could make money selling a PS2 emulator...or make more money selling games individually. I'm curious how many PS4 owners have physical PS2 games but no PS2.

Well, consider that for those that still play its games a lot, a PS2 won't last forever, BC appeal is also and probably mainly in preserving access to old games whatever happen to old HW.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Well, consider that for those that still play its games a lot, a PS2 won't last forever, BC appeal is also and probably mainly in preserving access to old games whatever happen to old HW.

You can still get a PS2 for $50-60 off Amazon and various other places online. I wouldn't worry about preserving classics until the system actually starts becoming rare.

BC is definitely the "best feature of all time". I mean, why wouldn't I buy a $400 game console to play 15 years old games? It's not going to hurt Sony for not having it same as how it's not helping Sony's competition for having it.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

BC is definitely one of the best feature in a game system but it's also one that's not as used as many believe. People mainly buy new systems to play new games after all. But I'm down if Sony wants to bring back BC. I grew up with NES/Sega as they never had BC (also due to their games being cartridges) so doesn't bother me.

Around the Network

I think BC should be mandatory from now on and we should be done with single generation devices. Imo consoles should only be an entry to new possibilities in gaming and media features, not a barrier to play your old purchases or games from previous generations.

With online stores getting more and more important, we should always be able to purchase games even if they are from previous generations and I think if we can do so we should be able to just play them without having to buy them again.

Playstation had BC with PS2 and early PS3 models before they removed the feature in the later. I think Sony should find a way get get BC for PS3 games and allow previous purchases to be taken into account.

Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:
They want to resell games and make as much money of it because they know people want to play older games. They should do something about this because as time goes by people will come to the realization that they could play older games on the competition like the Wii u and Xbox one.

So as time goes by and MORE "current" games come out - you think people will actually be wanting to play OLDER games? They will want that to such a point that later on people will buy an xbox one or a Wii u(nx) not to play THOSE games.. but to play older games?

Of course, that's why the Wii U has been outselling both, since it is HW B/C, which is the best.  And the XBO started outselling the PS4 WW since the announcement of B/C.  Oh wait...

I was living in an alternate world where B/C is more than a nice feature that in the end means jack shit.

thismeintiel said:
Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:
They want to resell games and make as much money of it because they know people want to play older games. They should do something about this because as time goes by people will come to the realization that they could play older games on the competition like the Wii u and Xbox one.

So as time goes by and MORE "current" games come out - you think people will actually be wanting to play OLDER games? They will want that to such a point that later on people will buy an xbox one or a Wii u(nx) not to play THOSE games.. but to play older games?

Of course, that's why the Wii U has been outselling both, since it is HW B/C, which is the best.  And the XBO started outselling the PS4 WW since the announcement of B/C.  Oh wait...

I was living in an alternate world where B/C is more than a nice feature that in the end means jack shit.

What does this have to show? No one expected the XB1 and Wii U to start outselling the PS4. What this is is simply a way to get Xbox 360 user's to upgrade. Everyone knows the PS4 has won the generation, don't need to keep rubbing it in.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
thismeintiel said:

What does this have to show? No one expected the XB1 and Wii U to start outselling the PS4. What this is is simply a way to get Xbox 360 user's to upgrade. Everyone knows the PS4 has won the generation, don't need to keep rubbing it in.

The point is people keep making it out like B/C is a huge deal, especially after XBO announced theirs.  Some saying it won XBO E3 since it was so big.  However, sales, even after the announcement, prove that the vast majority of people don't give a shit about it.  It's a nice feature to have, but doesn't make the slightest difference, so there's little reason to continually bring it up like it'll mean anything.

mZuzek said:
thismeintiel said:
barneystinson69 said:

The point is people keep making it out like B/C is a huge deal, especially after XBO announced theirs.  Some saying it won XBO E3 since it was so big.  However, sales, even after the announcement, prove that the vast majority of people don't give a shit about it.  It's a nice feature to have, but doesn't make the slightest difference, so there's little reason to continually bring it up like it'll mean anything.

Sales aren't all that matters in the world I'll have you know.

They matter to me.  :'(

Especially on a sales site.