By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

Armour1 said:
Miyamotoo said:

You probably dont know, but half of profit Nintendo is making from hardware and addons for that hardware. Do you know how money Nintendo made just from selling Wii Remotes, Motion Plus, Nunchuck, Wheels...whitout profit from hardware!? For instance build price for Wii Remote was around $10-15 and Nintendo were selling then at $60, and they sold tens of milions (probably more than 100m) of Wii Remotes.

Second is when you have your own platform you don't pay royalties to anyone, you have whole profit just for itself.

Not to mention that when you have your own platform and software you have completely freedom and control of your whole business.

And how much did profits off hardware drop going form wii to wiiu.

What happens if the next console sales even less.  Going by ninty hardware sales drooping, be it console or handheld.  Fact is at a certain point the user base wil be to small to make hardware finencially viable, at a certain point even software will fail is the user abse is to small.

What good is your own platform when 3rd parties shun it and it struggles to sale 12m.

Yes PS and xbox would enslave ninty and force them to make cod clones, no freedom lol.

Well everything about Nintendo is hit and miss, they always trying different things and sometime they miss and something they have a hit. Last gen they had most successful generation in history of gaming, they sold more than 255 m units of hardware and around 2 billions of software. This gen will be probably be their worst selling generation, but does that means they need to go 3rd party because Wii U is selling bad especially after success they had last gen!? Of Course not, they just need to make product that will be much more popular.

They have money and health finances, and they expanding their business with Amiibo, aggressive use of IPs and mobile games, even if NX is not a huge hit they will still make money and again they will not go third party.

Around the Network

Personally, I have never been a fan of their hardware and they have had terrible third party support since the n64. However, I love their games. I would like it if they would go third party, as it would eliminate their biggest weakness, which is their hardware. I don't see it happening though... At least not anytime soon...

I wonder why people keep yelling at Nintendo do drop hardware and not just switch to the x86 platform.

I mean that would give third parties virtually NO excuse not to bring their multiplatforms to Nintendo consoles now that everyone is using it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo are still making WiiU branded Wiimotes and many of their games support them...

Since when WiiU is a case of success?

I didnt say it was a success. You said that nintendo dont care about the wiimote anymore. Well....they do.

Well technically they 'could' go third party. Anyone can become third party, the likely-hood of that occurring now or in the near future is somewhat low though. They'd have to REALLY fuck up whatever is coming up next in order to end up as a third part publisher

Around the Network
Roronaa_chan said:
Because there's no reason for them to be anything other than a publisher. They suck as a platform holder.

I don't know why you mention MS or Sony buying them, that's something else entirely... That wouldn't even be going third party to begin with, it's an whole other thing

This.

zippy said:
gigaSheik said:

Did Nintendo franchises popularity skyrocket on Wii? 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Punch-Out, Excite, Sin & Punishment, Battalion Wars, Mario Sports, etc all had very modest boosts over NES/SNES/N64/GC sales despite having 40-80 million extra sales. The only title that saw truly massive growth over previous installments was Mario Kart.

Wii was a fad, its buyers werent gamers.  

PS xbox byuers are.

Wii was huge with children and families of which many of those franchises cater to that demographic, are u suggesting games like Kirby, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, etc appeal more to the PS/XB audience than they do to the Wii audience?

Wii was a fad because no one uses that controller anymore. Not even Nintendo. It was fun for a little while but it didn't prove to have an appeal and practicity that would last for generations and generations like the analog stick, or shoulder buttons. Nintendo is falling victim of itself. Their need to "make something different" is forcing them to make very, very, very bad decisions.

A fad that the mighty Sony and Microsoft quickly scrambled to the market to get a slice of the motion control pie. Fad or not, it was real and massive for the time, and Nintendo could quite easily replicate a similar success in the future.

A fad that made them a ot lof money but quickly faded into obscurity and turned Nintendo into a subpar game maker. Not only it was perceived as a kiddy company. Now it is perceived as an exaggerated "simplicity" gameplay company having to deal with unexpected competition like smart phones, tablets and cheaper hardware and cheaper/free simple games. Even Metroid Other M had to be played like a dumb Nes minigame hybrid. Nintendo tries so much not to compete with Sony and Microsoft only to get lambasted by mobile devices. That's stupidity.

KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:

Since when WiiU is a case of success?

I didnt say it was a success. You said that nintendo dont care about the wiimote anymore. Well....they do.

It just goes on to show how imbecile they are... Besides, its not their main selling point. The tablet (how many touch devices they wanna sell?) controller is.

gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:

It just goes on to show how imbecile they are... Besides, its not their main selling point. The tablet (how many touch devices they wanna sell?) controller is.

So now they are stupid to still care about the wiimotes? Kinda being unfair to them now...

MegaDrive08 said:
Wagram said:

Speaking in the realm of home consoles; Nintendo has been down hill since the launch of the NES. Every single home console has sold considerably less than its predecessor. However, there was one exception in the Wii which was an anomaly. It sold to an audience that didn't particularly purchase games often. Despite the high sales, the console fizzled off immediately at the end of its life cycle (these people were the main sales driver) and the software attach rate was poor per console sold. Once that anomaly passed we're down to the lowest selling Nintendo home console of all time.

People love Nintendo. I love Nintendo, but I do not love buying hardware to play two or three franchises i'm interested in from them. I would LOVE for them to head third party.

So your saying theres only three games you could find on WiiU that spark your interest, are you a gamer????

I have had a wii u since launch... But I have struggled to find games that I felt justified my purchase.  Nintendo has been fairly conservative this gen, opting to put out games that are very similar to past releases.  The risks they have taken, like w101 and bayonetta haven't interested me.  This year is the first time that they have released games that I feel like I can say that I really like (hyrule Warriors, xenoblade) rather then just being ok.  

Basically, I don't find it all that strange if he could only find a few games on the wii u that he enjoys, as I feel the same way.  Especially if he is a multi console owner and has more options.  Nintendo's console output had been in decline for me for a while now.  Fortunately for Nintendo, I still enjoy most of their handheld output!