By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

Armour1 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Armour1 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Its not about my hopes, it's about Nintendo plans. Personally don't expect Wii numbers but definitely expecting much better numbers than Wii U having.

I dont.

I dont expect good things releasing new hardware into the face of PS4 at its best releasing its top exclusives and potential sub 300$ price.  

Nintendo already said they will not compete with PS4/X1 again, they said NX is something unique with new way of playing.

Like the tablet U, great.

If its gaming its competing, no matter how much they wish other wise.

Wii U was completly faile, Nintendo made so many big mistakes with it, we will see what they do with NX.

Well last gen PS3 and Xbox 360 were fight to death while Wii somehow has totaly seperate from them. NX could do something similar.

Around the Network

Speaking in the realm of home consoles; Nintendo has been down hill since the launch of the NES. Every single home console has sold considerably less than its predecessor. However, there was one exception in the Wii which was an anomaly. It sold to an audience that didn't particularly purchase games often. Despite the high sales, the console fizzled off immediately at the end of its life cycle (these people were the main sales driver) and the software attach rate was poor per console sold. Once that anomaly passed we're down to the lowest selling Nintendo home console of all time.

People love Nintendo. I love Nintendo, but I do not love buying hardware to play two or three franchises i'm interested in from them. I would LOVE for them to head third party.

Miyamotoo said:
Teeqoz said:
Nintendo's main profit driver is software sales. Their 3rd party royalties are basically nonexistant at this point, and while Nintendo normally does make a profit on hardware sales, it's hardly as much as they make from software.

If the money they'd get from increased software sales from launching on a tremendously bigger userbase outweighs what they lose from 3rd party royalties and hardware profit, then they should go third party. Neither us nor Nintendo knows if it will though.

Nintemdo are in a peculiar position among the three platform makers because of exactly this. MS and Sony's primary profit drivers are 3rd party royalties and subscription fees, both of which are things that they need to maintain their own platform to keep. Nintendo's main profit driver is in no way tied to their hardware, and could potentially benefit a lot from a higher userbase. This is why Nintendo going third party is in no way as silly as someone make it out to be.

To end it, I'll say this: It's not about wether or not they make money at all as a platform maker, but if they can make more as a 3rd party.

*raises flame shield*

You probably dont know, but half of profit Nintendo is making from hardware and addons for that hardware. Do you know how money Nintendo made just from selling Wii Remotes, Motion Plus, Nunchuck, Wheels...whitout profit from hardware!? For instance build price for Wii Remote was around $10-15 and Nintendo were selling then at $60, and they sold tens of milions (probably more than 100m) of Wii Remotes.

Second is when you have your own platform you don't pay royalties to anyone, you have whole profit just for itself.

Not to mention that when you have your own platform and software you have completely freedom and control of your whole business.

And how much did profits off hardware drop going form wii to wiiu.

What happens if the next console sales even less.  Going by ninty hardware sales drooping, be it console or handheld.  Fact is at a certain point the user base wil be to small to make hardware finencially viable, at a certain point even software will fail is the user abse is to small.

What good is your own platform when 3rd parties shun it and it struggles to sale 12m.

Yes PS and xbox would enslave ninty and force them to make cod clones, no freedom lol.

gigaSheik said:

Did Nintendo franchises popularity skyrocket on Wii? 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Punch-Out, Excite, Sin & Punishment, Battalion Wars, Mario Sports, etc all had very modest boosts over NES/SNES/N64/GC sales despite having 40-80 million extra sales. The only title that saw truly massive growth over previous installments was Mario Kart.

Wii was a fad, its buyers werent gamers.  

PS xbox byuers are.

Wii was huge with children and families of which many of those franchises cater to that demographic, are u suggesting games like Kirby, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, etc appeal more to the PS/XB audience than they do to the Wii audience?

Wii was a fad because no one uses that controller anymore. Not even Nintendo. It was fun for a little while but it didn't prove to have an appeal and practicity that would last for generations and generations like the analog stick, or shoulder buttons. Nintendo is falling victim of itself. Their need to "make something different" is forcing them to make very, very, very bad decisions.

Nintendo are still making WiiU branded Wiimotes and many of their games support them...

Armour1 said:
zippy said:

No, Nintendo will continue with their hardware as well as branching the company into different forms of entertainment. Hardware will thus become one of their divisions, and not just their primary focus of income. Nintendo will become an entertainment company (I know gaming is entertainment) all tied in with gaming, mobile, movie, toys, tv and lifestyle apps/ accessories.

And all of that is limited by nintendo hardware.

I detect that you dont like Nintendo hardware very much. Nintendo could quite easily build the most powerful console for next gen, but I doubt your opinion on them will sway even if they did.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Miyamotoo said:
leyendax69 said:

Sega lost their touch, I don't think the lower quality of their games in the 2000's was specifically because they stopped making consoles. Other companies have experienced the same

Dont agree, one of big reasons why Nintendo games are so good is because they make hardware with mind on their games, their platform gives them lota opportunities and freedom that they wouldn't have if they are third party, Nintendo games that are not on Nintendo hardware would have lower quality than todays Nintendo games.

But I find whole this thread and this talk unnecessary, because Nintendo will not go third party, much bigger chances are that MS will pull up from gaming.

Probably the biggest element here that I wish to have mentioned, but wasn't sure how to say it. Nintendo has been notorious for decades when it comes to how they want to deliver their IPs. They try to integrate hardware with their software in mind. That's why we got games like Wii Sports, Super Mario 64, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, etc. From what I've heard, one of the reasons why their planned collaboration with Sony on creating an enhanced SNES w/CDs fell through was because they feared that Sony would have control over their IPs. Some would think that their YouTube policies and C&Ds (such as shutting down Mario mods and suing the guy selling alcohol for a party at a convention while posting official Pokemon render art) are in relation to their need for control. Whether that's right or wrong is another discussion.

Sorry if you feel this thread was unnecessary. I was kinda hoping to learn more about what some people think about this situation in a more focused discussion rather than reading it in bits and pieces from other discussions.

I tottaly agree, but again I know thread like this will be esenatuly be fight of Nintendo fans and people who want Nintendo games on PS/Xbox consoles.

Vodacixi said:
KungKras said:
Netty said:
Their games are awesome but their consoles (hardware & software platform) are not.

I don't think Nintendo should go third party, but I would like to see them be more competitive in the creation of their platforms and to be more aggressive in marketing them. It's frustrating to see them curled up in a little ball while they get ignored by the gaming public.

As someone majoring in embedded systems design. Nintendo hardware is pretty damn amazing. Especially the SNES and Gamecube. But the MIPS-based N64 is really interesting as well.

A bit off topic, but here's something I've always been wondering: was the difference between PS1 and N64 THAT big as some people say?

As for the OP, Nintendo has some games that a lot of people want. But not all of these people has a Nintendo system. So, they want Nintendo to go third party to gain access to their games. I can't blame them: Metroid, Zelda and a lot more are not something to joke about.

I think it's very important that Nintendo keep making consoles. They are always unique, with its bad and good things. But if we loose Nintendo systems, we'll only have two almost identical systems (funcition and software wise). And that's pretty bad.

Technically, the N64 graphics chip and processor run circles around the PS1. (33MHz vs 94MHz) N64 games usually have some fewer polygons than PS1 games but you can tell that the hardware is more modern because the polygons aren't jittery and the draw distance is much higher. Shading can be much more advanced on N64 as well.It has twice the RAM of the PS1 as well. One thing to mention as well is that N64 isn't using fewer polygons because of hardware limitations. You can run it in a mode that pushes out more polygons than PS1, but you would get the same jitter and aliasing issues.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Wagram said:

Speaking in the realm of home consoles; Nintendo has been down hill since the launch of the NES. Every single home console has sold considerably less than its predecessor. However, there was one exception in the Wii which was an anomaly. It sold to an audience that didn't particularly purchase games often. Despite the high sales, the console fizzled off immediately at the end of its life cycle (these people were the main sales driver) and the software attach rate was poor per console sold. Once that anomaly passed we're down to the lowest selling Nintendo home console of all time.

People love Nintendo. I love Nintendo, but I do not love buying hardware to play two or three franchises i'm interested in from them. I would LOVE for them to head third party.

So your saying theres only three games you could find on WiiU that spark your interest, are you a gamer????

KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:

Did Nintendo franchises popularity skyrocket on Wii? 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Punch-Out, Excite, Sin & Punishment, Battalion Wars, Mario Sports, etc all had very modest boosts over NES/SNES/N64/GC sales despite having 40-80 million extra sales. The only title that saw truly massive growth over previous installments was Mario Kart.

PS xbox byuers are.

Wii was huge with children and families of which many of those franchises cater to that demographic, are u suggesting games like Kirby, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, etc appeal more to the PS/XB audience than they do to the Wii audience?

Wii was a fad because no one uses that controller anymore. Not even Nintendo. It was fun for a little while but it didn't prove to have an appeal and practicity that would last for generations and generations like the analog stick, or shoulder buttons. Nintendo is falling victim of itself. Their need to "make something different" is forcing them to make very, very, very bad decisions.

Nintendo are still making WiiU branded Wiimotes and many of their games support them...

Since when WiiU is a case of success?

gigaSheik said:

PS xbox byuers are.

A fad that the mighty Sony and Microsoft quickly scrambled to the market to get a slice of the motion control pie. Fad or not, it was real and massive for the time, and Nintendo could quite easily replicate a similar success in the future.