By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:

Of course they are stupid. Defenetely. Their market is eroding. Nintendo is fading. Losing relevance. When people talk about games they hardly talk about Nintendo. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Thats stupidity. There's no other way to spin it.

Seems to me like the only mistake they made is the WiiU... Just like Sony made the mistake called Vita.

They've made a few mistakes, nothing as big as the Wii U, I don't think, but I've no idea what could've happened had the partnership w/ Sony worked out and FFVII launched on a joint PS/Nintendo platform.  I mean, can you imagine Sony and Nintendo combining forces?  Could've been crazy good, or it could've failed miserably...hard tellin' lol :)

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
gigaSheik said:

Did Nintendo franchises popularity skyrocket on Wii? 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Punch-Out, Excite, Sin & Punishment, Battalion Wars, Mario Sports, etc all had very modest boosts over NES/SNES/N64/GC sales despite having 40-80 million extra sales. The only title that saw truly massive growth over previous installments was Mario Kart.

Wii was a fad, its buyers werent gamers.  

PS xbox byuers are.

Wii was huge with children and families of which many of those franchises cater to that demographic, are u suggesting games like Kirby, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, etc appeal more to the PS/XB audience than they do to the Wii audience?

Wii was a fad because no one uses that controller anymore. Not even Nintendo. It was fun for a little while but it didn't prove to have an appeal and practicity that would last for generations and generations like the analog stick, or shoulder buttons. Nintendo is falling victim of itself. Their need to "make something different" is forcing them to make very, very, very bad decisions.

My point went completely over ur head. Actually read what I said, kids/families were a huge percentage of the Wii audience, most of Nintendo franchises are aimed at kids/families. Most Nintendo franchises saw little growth over their previous installments on consoles with much smaller install bases. Most Nintendo games saw little growth on a console whose demographic matched those type of games, so why would said franchises show massive growth on consoles like PS4/XB1 who don't show much interest in the type of games Nintendo makes?

I think you should read my first post. I said Nintendo is losing relevance and would fail as third party as well.

zorg1000 said:

My point went completely over ur head. Actually read what I said, kids/families were a huge percentage of the Wii audience, most of Nintendo franchises are aimed at kids/families. Most Nintendo franchises saw little growth over their previous installments on consoles with much smaller install bases. Most Nintendo games saw little growth on a console whose demographic matched those type of games, so why would said franchises show massive growth on consoles like PS4/XB1 who don't show much interest in the type of games Nintendo makes?

Wiiu sales comapred to wii prove that to be false, it shows that those were in fact a small minority of wii sales.  

Ljink96 said:
People who say this are ignorant and don't understand Nintendo as a company. I really don[t want to write paragraphs on the idea as i've done before. I'll sum it up though. NO...JUST NO.

And the award for tolerance goes toooooo...

OT: probably cause Nintendo consistently make great games but tend to hit or miss their consoles, unlike Xbox and PS who's consoles sale consistently well, but their software is irregular in critical acclaim.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Because software is their greatest strength, by not having a platform(s ) they are chained to they can reach ever more people and not worry about the changes in the hardware landscape (mobile/streaming)

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network
gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:

Seems to me like the only mistake they made is the WiiU... Just like Sony made the mistake called Vita.

Really? The N64 was a mistake. Cartridges and hard to code. Gamecube was a mistake. Powerful but looked like a teletubbie lunch box. Who wants a purple videogame that looks like Barbie's oven? Wii was a great idea that took the company into a dangerous situation. The 3DS was far too expensive because of a 3D feature many consumers don't even use and have little practicity in actual gameplay. Let's not even mention WiiU and Nintendo online philosophy. Every Nintendo system since the SNes have a problem that undermines the potencial. Its like for every good idea they have 2 bad ideas.

Same can be said for every console. Its all in how you see it. I could name problems with any console.

Miyamotoo said:

Dont agree, one of big reasons why Nintendo games are so good is because they make hardware with mind on their games, their platform gives them lota opportunities and freedom that they wouldn't have if they are third party, Nintendo games that are not on Nintendo hardware would have lower quality than todays Nintendo games.

But I find whole this thread and this talk unnecessary, because Nintendo will not go third party, much bigger chances are that MS will pull up from gaming.

Meh their hardware was unique with the Wii family, but what's the point if your first party games barely uses it, those games could easily work on someone else's system. But on another note, they are probably more comfortable with their long development cycles and not having to pay royalties

spurgeonryan said:
Because they could easily go third party. Unlike Sega they have a huge list of characters to keep things fresh.

Also they would make a lot of money if they ever did.

they would make less money than they do now. Nintendo does great with their hardware, people always complain why Nintendo is sometimes hesitant to lower the price of their hardware like the Wii U- guess what that DO make money from hardware. they also don't have to split profit from software sales if they control the hardware.

there's a reason that Nintendo made MORE in the Gamecube generation than Sony did with the PS2 despite the PS2 selling a kajillion more software

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:

Of course they are stupid. Defenetely. Their market is eroding. Nintendo is fading. Losing relevance. When people talk about games they hardly talk about Nintendo. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Thats stupidity. There's no other way to spin it.

They've made a few mistakes, nothing as big as the Wii U, I don't think, but I've no idea what could've happened had the partnership w/ Sony worked out and FFVII launched on a joint PS/Nintendo platform.  I mean, can you imagine Sony and Nintendo combining forces?  Could've been crazy good, or it could've failed miserably...hard tellin' lol :)

Yeah, I thought he was talking about this gen at first

Every console maker have made big mistakes throughout the years though.

Roronaa_chan said:
Because there's no reason for them to be anything other than a publisher. They suck as a platform holder.

I don't know why you mention MS or Sony buying them, that's something else entirely... That wouldn't even be going third party to begin with, it's an whole other thing

no reason? you do realize that millions of people love Nintendo systems. they make amazing handhelds and extremely quality home consoles. the Wii U was a bit of a mistep but in terms of critical reviews it actually is pretty universally liked by those who play it 

and obviously last generation Nintendo did such a great job with the Wii hardware that it was impossible to find in stores for some time